Is Law School Worth Sticker to YOU? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Is law school worth sticker to you?

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes: 494

well-hello-there

Bronze

Re: Is Law School Worth Sticker to YOU?

Post by well-hello-there » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:47 am

Have any of you actually tried to apply to vanderbilt? They have by far the WORST application out there. I ruled them out b/c I couldn't finish it.
I'd pay full tuition at the top 10.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:48 am

well-hello-there wrote:Have any of you actually tried to apply to vanderbilt? They have by far the WORST application out there. I ruled them out b/c I couldn't finish it.
Srsly? lulz

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:05 am

Nailjohnj wrote: I believe most schools in the t-100 are worth sticker in their respective regions
You're out of your effing mind.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:13 am

I would probably pay sticker for T14+UT (resident).

EDIT: the poll question is too vague.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:20 am

I'd go sticker for all of the T14's that I'm interested in, UCLA or Vandy.
Below that there are probably schools that I would pay sticker for if that was my only option and I hadn't found TLS, but after seeing how schools like WUSTL or BU shell out some good money in scholarships, I couldn't bring myself to be one of the only people there paying full price.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:33 am

[Expected post law school salary (%*$ + %*$ + %$...) + personal unquantifiable benefits from law degree] - [opportunity costs based on current job (salary) + unquantifiables (I love/hate my job)] = what you would pay to attend that law school

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:39 am

I would probably pay sticker for T6, and maybe Penn if I didn't have the numbers for T6.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:47 am

Ragged wrote:EDIT: the poll question is too vague.
True that. I would've paid sticker at the T-14, but that's because I have very little UG debt. Factors such as family wealth and $$ from employment also make a huge difference.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:49 am

Total Litigator wrote:[Expected post law school salary (%*$ + %*$ + %$...) + personal unquantifiable benefits from law degree] - [opportunity costs based on current job (salary) + unquantifiables (I love/hate my job)] = what you would pay to attend that law school

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:55 am

sundance95 wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:[Expected post law school salary (%*$ + %*$ + %$...) + personal unquantifiable benefits from law degree] - [opportunity costs based on current job (salary) + unquantifiables (I love/hate my job)] = what you would pay to attend that law school
Lol, yeah I almost deleted that part, but then I put it back in cuz I figured you had to include quantifiables.... I meant for it to only apply in a vast minority of cases, as in "my father has a law firm and I want to work for him" and stuff like that. However, it does look like I'm endorsing those who attend law school because they "love to argue," or "want to defend the innocent" etc.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:57 am

I would be willing to be sticker only at T14 + my state school because of residency.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:06 am

Total Litigator wrote:Lol, yeah I almost deleted that part, but then I put it back in cuz I figured you had to include quantifiables.... I meant for it to only apply in a vast minority of cases, as in "my father has a law firm and I want to work for him" and stuff like that. However, it does look like I'm endorsing those who attend law school because they "love to argue," or "want to defend the innocent" etc.
Yeah, that, but also you put unquantifiables into a formula. If they are unquantifiable...

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:10 am

rad law wrote:
beachbum wrote:
rad law wrote: The rumors are true. Vandy does have a very white and preppy vibe.
Went out on black Friday to stock up on Polo and Sperrys. You know, just in case.
Stock up on ties for the football games, too. Quite a few people wear them to tailgates.
I love the SEC. It makes me sad to be leaving it next year. Tucked in game day Polo or button down and game day tie, Croakies, Khackis, and Sperrys is the proper look for a football game. Its all about the Fratire.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:28 am

sundance95 wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:Lol, yeah I almost deleted that part, but then I put it back in cuz I figured you had to include quantifiables.... I meant for it to only apply in a vast minority of cases, as in "my father has a law firm and I want to work for him" and stuff like that. However, it does look like I'm endorsing those who attend law school because they "love to argue," or "want to defend the innocent" etc.
Yeah, that, but also you put unquantifiables into a formula. If they are unquantifiable...
If I call it an "error term" would that be better?

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:37 am

Total Litigator wrote:If I call it an "error term" would that be better?

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:41 am

sundance95 wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:If I call it an "error term" would that be better?
lol

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:31 am

Personally any Tier 1 (minus the private schools with no LRAP) and Tier 2 ONLY if it is instate (ie 20k or so)

However, this is basically a worst case scenario

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:33 am

HeavenWood wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
I swallowed enough of my pride attending a second banana state school on scholly. I'm entitled to a little prestige whoring :mrgreen:.
Yeah, because Pitt's pretty low on the college spectrum...
It's (unfairly) overshadowed by Penn State. You know this as well as I.

In the end, I have no regrets: I got a good education at a great price, but I'm ready to go to a law school that has actual lay prestige beyond its immediate city.

Did you go to Pitt for UG as well?
You'd think the quality of the sciences at Pitt would make up for it. Their PhD position competition in sciences is BRUTAL

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:37 am

well-hello-there wrote:Have any of you actually tried to apply to vanderbilt? They have by far the WORST application out there. I ruled them out b/c I couldn't finish it.
You're kidding right?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:49 pm

I'd pay sticker at UF :) @15k a year for resident.

tartugas

New

Post by tartugas » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:31 pm

No. LS at sticker no matter where is not worth it for me.

1. I'm 36. My future earning potential vs. the likely expenses I will incur over the next 10-20 years (a larger home + cost of raising a family) do not justify taking on the level of debt that sticker at any school would charge.
2. The work I want to do with this degree will likely not lead to top corporate law type salaries, I'm happy to be proved wrong of course... but I don't see myself pulling in 200k+ a year as a lawyer.
3. I know what it takes to earn 150K+/year in both the white collar and blue collar worlds. Among other things it requires a person sacrifice the things that are important (e.g. time with family) in order to bank the big bucks. Thanks, but I'm happy to sacrifice 50K/year for a better QOL.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:03 am

tartugas wrote:No. LS at sticker no matter where is not worth it for me.

1. I'm 36. My future earning potential vs. the likely expenses I will incur over the next 10-20 years (a larger home + cost of raising a family) do not justify taking on the level of debt that sticker at any school would charge.
2. The work I want to do with this degree will likely not lead to top corporate law type salaries, I'm happy to be proved wrong of course... but I don't see myself pulling in 200k+ a year as a lawyer.
3. I know what it takes to earn 150K+/year in both the white collar and blue collar worlds. Among other things it requires a person sacrifice the things that are important (e.g. time with family) in order to bank the big bucks. Thanks, but I'm happy to sacrifice 50K/year for a better QOL.
The people making 100k are working almost the same number of hours as the ones making 150k, they're just doing it in different cities. Better plan on closer to 60k.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:06 am

I was seriously even wary of paying sticker at HYS. But I'm incredibly risk-averse (should rethink my love of venture capital probably).

Any school in the T14 can be worth sticker, as can any top regional school, or any school that's the best in its state. Thus, Idaho/Wyoming/Montana could be worth sticker, but Brooklyn or Loyola or Villanova probably aren't (from a pure cost-benefit calculus).

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:37 pm

Kretzy wrote:I was seriously even wary of paying sticker at HYS. But I'm incredibly risk-averse (should rethink my love of venture capital probably).

Any school in the T14 can be worth sticker, as can any top regional school, or any school that's the best in its state. Thus, Idaho/Wyoming/Montana could be worth sticker, but Brooklyn or Loyola or Villanova probably aren't (from a pure cost-benefit calculus).
I know this would never work in practice because of self selection and moral hazard problems but there could be money made by insuring against striking out like this. Better yet if you could buy all of a persons future income for say a guaranteed 90k a year increasing proportionally (or whatever is moderately below the average).

How many people in a a t17 (to make radlaw happy) would take this deal?

Averages would be on a per school basis -- so no free riding on Harvard/Yale -- and only for 10 years so if you work your ass of or get lucky and make partner you can profit. If you don't have a job after 1 year either your benefits will be canceled or we will ship you off to India for doc review. Also, this only includes private sector jobs since LRAP should cover PI and you only continue benefits if you are fired so you can't just quit after 5 years. (just assume there is no obvious loophole other than not trying as hard).

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:51 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
tkgrrett wrote: Not really, its more like the people who arent competitive for the t14 always make it a point to tell everyone they wouldnt pay sticker at a t14.
There is definitely some truth to this statement.
I'm an offender of this as I always say I wouldn't go to a T14 at sticker, and I was not competitive for these schools. I was actually considering not going at all until BU gave some $ - so my debt total will be around 100k total which I think is manageable.

I always said I would go to Michigan at sticker though.... ah.... love that school. No idea why, but I would've taken it at sticker over even UVA or Penn with a little $ (a lot is a different story).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”