Is Law School Worth Sticker to YOU? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Is law school worth sticker to you?

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes: 494

Nailjohnj

Bronze

Is Law School Worth Sticker to YOU?

Post by Nailjohnj » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:04 pm

This isn't a question for myself, but rather a question posed to the TLS population. Call it a psychological survey of debt aversion in potential and current law students.

I have seen alot of "is X Law School worth sticker" threads and it seems the overwhelming response is "If it isn't T-14, then no it isn't". But every year, thousands of law students go to every level of law school and pay full tuition and COL. So I have to ask, where is the cut off line between worth sticker and not to you? Do you have such a line?

I know everyone's situation is different. So, instead of making overly general statements about everybody else, I am just curious what is your personal decision on the matter and where is your cut off for paying sticker or not. To answer, state your target school range (T-14, Lower Tier 1, Tier 2, etc.), where you consider worth the sticker and if you didn't get into your target schools, how far would you drop in tiers to avoid full-tuition. And finally, would you attend law school if there was NO chance of scholarship (at any level)?

I'll start:

Low Tier 1/ Tier 2
I believe most schools in the t-100 are worth sticker in their respective regions
I am considering a few local tier 3 schools because of potential scholarship offers, but would pay sticker at low tier 1 schools in the right area
Yes, I would

Anyone else?

dissonance1848

Silver

Re: Is Law School Worth Sticker to YOU?

Post by dissonance1848 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:12 pm

Its only worth taking schollies if there are no grade requirements for keeping them. If there are, all bets are off, you can't be assured you would get great grades, and if you could, then you should go to as high a ranked school as possible given where you wish to practice, since the competition is not that different from tier to tier.

LSAT + UGPA = 20% of 1L rank variance, which is weak at best.

My two cents.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:04 pm

I'd only pay sticker for a T14.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:05 pm

HeavenWood wrote:I'd only pay sticker for a T14.
I wouldn't even pay sticker for a T10 school. 200K in debt simply does not compute in my mental calculator. I knew I wanted to graduate will little to no debt and still go to a good school. I was all about finding a balance, not going to either extreme.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:11 pm

dakatz wrote:
I wouldn't even pay sticker for a T10 school. 200K in debt simply does not compute in my mental calculator. I knew I wanted to graduate will little to no debt and still go to a good school. I was all about finding a balance, not going to either extreme.
I'm finishing UG with zero debt, and my law school will be 100% taken care of, but if that were not the case, I openly concede that my outlook would be much different.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:16 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
dakatz wrote:
I'm finishing UG with zero debt, and my law school will be 100% taken care of, but if that were not the case, I openly concede that my outlook would be much different.
Well then that will certainly open quite a few options for you. Based on your stats, my guess as to your highest acceptances will probably be something like GW or perhaps USC. Both very expensive schools, but if $ isn't a problem, then it will be nice to be able to choose a school like that.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:19 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
dakatz wrote:
Damn I wish I was in your boat. I'm going to be looking for that balance too...

...unless I get my dream reach in NU then it's $$$+COL/year guh. :oops:

edited font size for effect.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:20 pm

dakatz wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
dakatz wrote:
Well then that will certainly open quite a few options for you. Based on your stats, my guess as to your highest acceptances will probably be something like GW or perhaps USC. Both very expensive schools, but if $ isn't a problem, then it will be nice to be able to choose a school like that.
Unless I strike gold at Penn, Boalt, or Cornell, I predict I'll be picking between BU and GW (and I'll take whichever one gives me more $). I don't even know why I applied to USC. Oh wait, yes I do. My stubborn-as-fuck grandfather insisted its #18 ranking gives it loads of East Coast prestige (where I want to work)--oh wait--it doesn't.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:24 pm

Yeah, once you get out of those top few schools, ranking really doesn't matter. You want to go for the school that has the best reputation, alumni network, placement statistics, etc. in the region where you want to work. Its good that you know that already, and aren't fooled by a mere number that will carry little weight on the East Coast.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

4for44

Bronze

Post by 4for44 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:25 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
dakatz wrote:
so why did you answer! haha Yes... paying sticker is a much more important consideration when its you (not parents or others) paying.

Perspective matters... I'm a fan of Expected value- and seeing the employment prospects for lower T14 would scare the hell out of me at sticker...

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:25 pm

I voted Yes, but with some reservations. I'm looking at near 250k in debt all said and done and want to do PI. It's worth it to me b/c of LRAP. If things stay where they are currently my 250k up front costs will be <50k in 10 years. So, that's worth it to me.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:27 pm

4for44 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
dakatz wrote:
so why did you answer! haha Yes... paying sticker is a much more important consideration when its you (not parents or others) paying.

Perspective matters... I'm a fan of Expected value- and seeing the employment prospects for lower T14 would scare the hell out of me at sticker...
I swallowed enough of my pride attending a second banana state school on scholly. I'm entitled to a little prestige whoring :mrgreen:.

moopness

Bronze

Post by moopness » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:15 pm

t6 only

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dex

New

Post by Dex » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:29 pm

T10 only.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:10 pm

moopness wrote:t6 only

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:13 pm

I'm a 1L, but would have paid sticker at T14 + UT (in-state), and would have considered paying it at Vandy.

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:18 pm

T10 with Boalt as the exception

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:13 pm

HYS

Seally

New

Post by Seally » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:34 pm

To me anything after the Top 6 is not worth sticker.

But i'd go sticker at any T14 if i had the choice between Sticker T14 and TTT/TTTT School Full rides.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:39 pm

I would pay sticker at T3... otherwise no.

In fact, I would take full ride without grade requirements at T3 before 1/2 tuition with grade requirements @4-25....

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:52 pm

your use of T3 could use some tightening.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:05 pm

i would only pay sticker at harvard yale and stanford. I would not pay a dime for anything below vandy

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:18 pm

People on here are really debt adverse, probably more so than really makes sense. I guess if you just really want a lot of money at biglaw vs. just looking at averages the it could make sense. I'd pay sticker through the t20 if it was go to law school now or never go to go to law school.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:22 pm

AreJay711 wrote:People on here are really debt adverse, probably more so than really makes sense. I guess if you just really want a lot of money at biglaw vs. just looking at averages the it could make sense. I'd pay sticker through the t20 if it was go to law school now or never go to go to law school.
Not really, its more like the people who arent competitive for the t14 always make it a point to tell everyone they wouldnt pay sticker at a t14.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:26 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
I swallowed enough of my pride attending a second banana state school on scholly. I'm entitled to a little prestige whoring :mrgreen:.
Yeah, because Pitt's pretty low on the college spectrum...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”