Work experience

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
crumpetsandtea

Work experience

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:41 pm

I'm currently looking for a job, planning on applying next cycle. My question is this:

I currently have a job offer at a small police defense law firm (I used to be a paid intern for them, so they know me and offered to let me come back whenever).

BUT. I am interested in potentially pursuing environmental or PI law. Would it be more beneficial app-wise for me to live at home and volunteer-intern at a local enviornmental/PI law firm (assuming I can get a spot), or should I just take the job I've been offered?

I have until mid/late December to decide on the internship offer, but I'm wondering if I should just take it now or postpone and cold-call some enviro/PI firms in the area.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. My WE is VERY important to me since I'm a splitter.

tourdeforcex

Re: Work experience

Postby tourdeforcex » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:57 pm

i think the major issue of concern is the probability you can land an environmental or PI law internship or job offer.

and since this needs to be soon, the probability falls.

i'd say take the offer. work, and keep looking around. maybe you land something maybe you don't. either way you have some WE.

dood

Postby dood » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:30 am

Last edited by dood on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:47 am

i think the major issue of concern is the probability you can land an environmental or PI law internship or job offer.

and since this needs to be soon, the probability falls.

i'd say take the offer. work, and keep looking around. maybe you land something maybe you don't. either way you have some WE.

Very true. I think I am going to take the offer, and maybe keep looking for internships/jobs at PI and enviro firms for next summer or fall. Even though it won't go on my apps, I'll still get the experience before entering school and it'll be on my resume in the future.

not to drag u down, but volunteer/intern type WE is not looked upon highly. most of the good WE is ibanking, military, engineering, consulting, TFA, possibly paralegal....all REAL jorbs and competitive too (vs. volunteer/intern). with that in mind, perhaps a law firm would be better. what would ur title be at either place?

No, it's not dragging me down, it's being realistic (: I didn't know that intern type WE wasn't considered as good. In that case, given what you guys have said, I think I'm going to just take the offer at the firm where they know me already. I've been there 2 summers before, so they're basically willing to let me take on more responsibility, so the likelihood of me being listed as a 'paralegal' and having more hands-on work is higher anyway.

RE: TFA -- do teaching-abroad gigs hold the same weight as joining TFA? I know of a few groups in China that I've looked into and have options at.

Thanks so much for your advice, both of you!!!

Return to “Law School FAQ”