LSAT and 1L performance

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
cccZillo

LSAT and 1L performance

Postby cccZillo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:08 pm

Let me start off by saying that this question has nothing to do with me (or anyone for that matter) choosing which law school they are going to. That would be crazy. It’s just a theory I wanted to run by the many people on this board that know much, much more than I do.

I’ve been reading a lot that hard work in law school can only take you so far, and after that a lot of it comes down to “getting it.” I’ve also heard that the LSAT is a fairly good indicator of this “getting it” factor, primarily when it comes to the first year of classes. (I would think both these premises could be argued)

That all being said, would someone attending a law school where their LSAT is significantly (10+ points) over the median put them at a distinct advantage over their classmates?

Again, I PROMISE this is not what I’m thinking about doing. Just wondering if there’s validity to this line of thinking. Thanks all.

jetlagz28

Re: LSAT and 1L performance

Postby jetlagz28 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:16 pm

I go to American University WCL and easily had the lowest LSAT score in my class. I am currently a 2L and riding the curve at the 50th percentile, in the middle of the middle of the pack.

I got a 153 on my LSAT (Winter 2008) with a 3.1 GPA. I was lucky to get in.

Just wanted to offer you something to think about.
Last edited by jetlagz28 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:17 pm

cccZillo wrote:Let me start off by saying that this question has nothing to do with me (or anyone for that matter) choosing which law school they are going to. That would be crazy. It’s just a theory I wanted to run by the many people on this board that know much, much more than I do.

I’ve been reading a lot that hard work in law school can only take you so far, and after that a lot of it comes down to “getting it.” I’ve also heard that the LSAT is a fairly good indicator of this “getting it” factor, primarily when it comes to the first year of classes. (I would think both these premises could be argued)

That all being said, would someone attending a law school where their LSAT is significantly (10+ points) over the median put them at a distinct advantage over their classmates?

Again, I PROMISE this is not what I’m thinking about doing. Just wondering if there’s validity to this line of thinking. Thanks all.

The question seems moot. Even if you would have a significant advantage, if you went to that school rather than one where you would have the median LSAT, you would probably need to be #1 in your class to have the same job opportunities as you would at median of the higher ranked school.

cccZillo

Postby cccZillo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:46 pm

tesoro wrote:The question seems moot. Even if you would have a significant advantage, if you went to that school rather than one where you would have the median LSAT, you would probably need to be #1 in your class to have the same job opportunities as you would at median of the higher ranked school.

Oh yeah, doing this would make no sense pragmatically. Even a splitter isn't going to be that much above the median without being able to get into more highly ranked schools. I was sort of looking at the question in a vacuum. Then again that never really works.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:47 pm

There is something like a 16% correlation with LSAT+1L grades. More than 80% of your 1L grades is affected by stuff other than your LSAT.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:50 pm

LSAT is the single strongest predictor of 1L performance, but it is not a strong predictor at all. It's only because nothing else seems to be predictive at all.

Return to “Law School FAQ”