Why does Georgetown get a bad rep? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
thedude221

Bronze

Why does Georgetown get a bad rep?

Post by thedude221 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:11 pm

Also, what are the comparisons of Georgetown to Cornell? I've already gotten into GULC and I was mulling over whether to apply to Cornell but I would rather live in DC anyway so if they are the same in terms of prestige and job prospects then i ll probably stick with GULC.

jr1886

Bronze

Re: Why does Georgetown get a bad rep?

Post by jr1886 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:16 pm

GULC is said to be a degree mill because of their large entering class size. Their 1L class is comparable to Harvard but with less prestige.
Nonetheless, you should be proud and happy you get to such a great school. Many people can't even make it out of TTT let alone get to a T-14

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:18 pm

Georgetown is 3x the size of Cornell and it seems to hurt the grads in terms of recruiting prospects. I guess its harder to differentiate yourself when you have 600 peers instead of 200.

Additionally, DC has a reputation on TLS as being a very hard market to break into. Cornell naturally feeds into NYC while Georgetown is at a bit of a disadvantage on its home turf.

Lay prestige at Georgetown is high, while its prestige amongst law firms is probably on par with Cornell if not slightly higher.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:31 pm

You should apply to Cornell and other peer schools for scholarship leverage. If you are really 3.9/169, you also have a shot at MVPB, where job prestige/job prospects are better.

gatorgirl4life

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl4life » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:36 pm

tag

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:47 pm

Georgetown has the largest part-time law program which many believe dilutes the overall value of a Georgetown law degree. As USNews just started rating & ranking part-time law programs, standards should rise.
Also USNews' point system places Georgetown precariously close to falling out of the top 14 law schools.

Cornell is small and rural thereby offering too few nearby internship opportunities & too small of an alumni base in biglaw. The small size & rural location may also limit truly national recruiting.

The truth, however, is likely that both law schools only get a "bad rap" from those in top 12 law schools while receiving envy from those below.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:55 pm

bdubs wrote:Georgetown is 3x the size of Cornell and it seems to hurt the grads in terms of recruiting prospects. I guess its harder to differentiate yourself when you have 600 peers instead of 200.

Additionally, DC has a reputation on TLS as being a very hard market to break into. Cornell naturally feeds into NYC while Georgetown is at a bit of a disadvantage on its home turf.
These are both important points. With a huge class size and a home market desired by every T14, it leads to greater competition than the rest of the T14.
bdubs wrote:Lay prestige at Georgetown is high, while its prestige amongst law firms is probably on par with Cornell if not slightly higher.
GULC's lay prestige is ridiculous. When I told people back home I was going to Virginia, they'd keep responding with, "If you're moving near DC, why don't you try for Georgetown?"

As much as folks put down GULC here, it is a well-respected law school in the legal market. The problems are just that there are so many GULC grads and heavy competition for DC-area jobs. Those things make things rougher for most GULC students, but they don't mean the degree isn't respected in the profession.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:59 pm

thedude221 wrote:Also, what are the comparisons of Georgetown to Cornell? I've already gotten into GULC and I was mulling over whether to apply to Cornell but I would rather live in DC anyway so if they are the same in terms of prestige and job prospects then i ll probably stick with GULC.
1. High lay prestige relative to legal prestige
2. It's huge
3. Only T14 with a PT program
4. Only T14 that's a "law center"

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:00 pm

^^^.

Right. Georgetown's problem isn't respect and prestige. It's sheer size and location. There just aren't enough firms who recruit at GULC to absorb 670+ JDs each year. There are more below-median GULC graduates each year than Cornell, Duke, Penn, NU, etc, grads total. That hurts overall placement.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thedude221

Bronze

Post by thedude221 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:03 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
bdubs wrote:Georgetown is 3x the size of Cornell and it seems to hurt the grads in terms of recruiting prospects. I guess its harder to differentiate yourself when you have 600 peers instead of 200.

These are both important points. With a huge class size and a home market desired by every T14, it leads to greater competition than the rest of the T14.
bdubs wrote:Lay prestige at Georgetown is high, while its prestige amongst law firms is probably on par with Cornell if not slightly higher.
GULC's lay prestige is ridiculous. When I told people back home I was going to Virginia, they'd keep responding with, "If you're moving near DC, why don't you try for Georgetown?"

As much as folks put down GULC here, it is a well-respected law school in the legal market. The problems are just that there are so many GULC grads and heavy competition for DC-area jobs. Those things make things rougher for most GULC students, but they don't mean the degree isn't respected in the profession.
Fair enough, if I am interested in practicing in the Atlanta area though will that help me since fewer Georgetown grads likely go down there so I won't have as big of a problem differentiating myself? And most of the graduates who I'll be competing will have mostly gone to lower ranked schools?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:07 pm

My impression is that Atlanta firms favor Duke & Vanderbilt over Georgetown.

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:16 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:My impression is that Atlanta firms favor Duke & Vanderbilt over Georgetown.
vanderbilt? really? my impression was that T14 always trumps non T14 even when that non T14 is in that market.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:17 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:My impression is that Atlanta firms favor Duke & Vanderbilt over Georgetown.
Or a higher percentage of Duke and Vanderbilt's students are from Atlanta.

This is why comparing school's placement in secondary markets is so difficult.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:21 pm

Schools get bad reps on TLS b/c of reasons like "omg itz a 'law center!'" I've never heard of Georgetown having a "bad rep" outside of TLS. Since the % of people on TLS in the position to make a hiring decision on you is small, I wouldn't worry about it. Georgetown's an awesome law school.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:24 pm

More important than where the law students are from is from what law school did the hiring partners graduate.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:25 pm

MissLucky wrote:
vanderbilt? really? my impression was that T14 always trumps non T14 even when that non T14 is in that market.

Cornell grad and UT grad both apply for a job at V&E in Dallas. Both have similar grades. who gets the job?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:37 pm

thedude221 wrote:Fair enough, if I am interested in practicing in the Atlanta area though will that help me since fewer Georgetown grads likely go down there so I won't have as big of a problem differentiating myself? And most of the graduates who I'll be competing will have mostly gone to lower ranked schools?
If you're from the Atlanta area (or the South generally enough), GULC would be great for you. If you're not, Atlanta employers are going to look at you and go "WTF are you applying here for?"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:57 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
MissLucky wrote:

Cornell grad and UT grad both apply for a job at V&E in Dallas. Both have similar grades. who gets the job?
A law student graduates from a T-14 school and falls in a forest. No one is there to see this. Does she make a sound?

I think GULC has extreme lay prestige, especially if you're like me and were raised Catholic/Jesuit. Notre Dame is the same way for Catholics, I think.

To play devil's advocate, or to raise another point: doesn't having a large number of alumni/alumnae mean that your opportunity to be cutty and network increase? Perhaps a large alumni/alumnae network can benefit you in that way?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:49 pm

Easy question posed above: If a Cornell grad & a Texas grad with identical law school GPAs & class rank apply for a position at Vinson & Elkins in Dallas, Texas who gets the job ?

Easy answer: Whomever the hiring partner from SMU likes better.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:11 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:More important than where the law students are from is from what law school did the hiring partners graduate.
The law school of the hiring partner is not really an important factor at all.

bostlaw

Bronze

Post by bostlaw » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Lay prestige at Georgetown is high, while its prestige amongst law firms is probably on par with Cornell if not slightly higher.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:14 pm

bostlaw wrote:

DC has that "reputation" everywhere, bro. It's because it's true.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:25 pm

RVP11 wrote:
bostlaw wrote:

Truth.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:57 am

vanwinkle wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
bostlaw wrote:

Truth.
Even at Harvard? DC is the second largest legal market in the country, I can't imagine that it is very hard for a Harvard grad to find a market paying job here.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:06 am

bdubs wrote:Even at Harvard? DC is the second largest legal market in the country, I can't imagine that it is very hard for a Harvard grad to find a market paying job here.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1
I personally think that TLS exaggerates the difficulty a bit, but it's definitely harder than the other mass legal market: NYC.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”