Are Some Law Schools more difficult then others? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Emeth!

New

Are Some Law Schools more difficult then others?

Post by Emeth! » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Does ranking at all correlate to difficulty?

Tsispilos

Bronze

Re: Are Some Law Schools more difficult then others?

Post by Tsispilos » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:43 pm

no real grades --> easier.
more required credits --> harder.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:58 pm

ranking -> stronger competition -> harder.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:04 pm

Low ranked schools, like T3's and T4's are incredibly difficult. Let's face it, the kids at Michigan may be five times as smart as the kids at Cooley, but the kid's at Cooley study 10 times more. T4 students aren't blind to the facts; they know that the top 1-5% get jobs or transfer up, and everyone wants to be in it. Also remember, everyone at any law school is a college graduate, these are Taco Bell employees.

Never think because you got into a T-14 and went to a Tier 2/3/4 you will automatically finish top of your class, or even above median. Besides, you ability to pull that 170+ doesn't help you on law school exams at all.

Tsispilos

Bronze

Post by Tsispilos » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:05 pm

dailygrind wrote:ranking -> stronger competition -> harder.
except at HYS/Berkeley where there is effectively no competition...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:13 pm

Tsispilos wrote:
Berkeley has HH (top 10%), H (next 30%), and P (bottom 60%) grades, and getting HH's and H's is more important ITE, since the middle of the class looks the same as the bottom.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Cupidity wrote:Also remember, everyone at any law school is a college graduate, these are Taco Bell employees.
:lol:

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:19 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Also remember, everyone at any law school is a college graduate, these are Taco Bell employees.
:lol:
damnit, my subconscious is acting up again.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:23 pm

Tsispilos wrote:
I will say, I have felt competition at SLS, and people are working their asses off. This seems to be mutually reinforcing.

The competition is there, but most cutthroated-ness is tempered though by the lack of grades.
Last edited by Kretzy on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:23 pm

Yes, some schools are more difficult THAN others.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:27 pm

LSAT + UGPA predicts 20% of 1L grades. 80% is other stuff. Basically, your competition is about the same at all law schools (save for Yale and Stanford, no grades). Which means going to as best a school as possible (or in the region you want to work) is a must.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:50 pm

All law schools pretty much cover the same material, some on the lower end tend to teach more state and local law whilst some on the high end tend to teach more theory or whatever the bullshit the proof feels like teaching. Now because all law schools use a forced curve, the difficulty comes down to the student body, not the school. As others have said, some schools don't have real grades, which makes things less competitive by default, but i'd still think that there are some kids there who still want the most number of gold stars.

I'd wagor that baylor is harder than say, UVA, simply because baylor's students are all fighting each other for the 10-20 big law jobs that the school can get.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:58 pm

Cupidity wrote:Low ranked schools, like T3's and T4's are incredibly difficult. Let's face it, the kids at Michigan may be five times as smart as the kids at Cooley, but the kid's at Cooley study 10 times more. T4 students aren't blind to the facts; they know that the top 1-5% get jobs or transfer up, and everyone wants to be in it. Also remember, everyone at any law school is a college graduate, these are Taco Bell employees.
Oban wrote: I'd wagor that baylor is harder than say, UVA, simply because baylor's students are all fighting each other for the 10-20 big law jobs that the school can get.
While there is definitely a degree of truth to these statements, the reality is that most students at T10 schools are still working extraordinarily hard these days now that biglaw is no long guaranteed. There may almost be more pressure, since many of us came in believing that the quality of the school will ensure decent options, and that safety net seems to have vanished significantly while tuition has remained sky high. As odd as it may seem, a 50/50 chance may push people much harder than a 10/90 chance since the goal feels more attainable and nearly every person in your class seems ridiculously talented and accomplished. Also, there are motivations apart from biglaw that push people to do their best to get good grades (whether that's the quality of the law firm/exit options, chances at an Article III, academia prospects, etc).

While it was true in 2007 that T10 schools were laid back and nobody was concerned, that might be a luxury only afforded to Yale these days.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:04 pm

Cupidity wrote:Besides, you ability to pull that 170+ doesn't help you on law school exams at all.
probably why it's not the best single predictor of 1L performance. oh wait.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:04 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Besides, you ability to pull that 170+ doesn't help you on law school exams at all.
That's true, but the LSAT only correlates to first year grades at about a 16% rate. In other words, its the single strongest correlation relative to all others, but not a terribly strong correlation in absolute terms.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:05 pm

sundance95 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
That's true, but the LSAT only correlates to first year grades at about a 16% rate. In other words, its the single strongest correlation relative to all others, but not a terribly strong correlation in absolute terms.
So that means I should be able to pwn the other 84% of my grades, right?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:15 pm

sundance95 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
that's the correlation within schools. if there weren't a tight clustering of lsats at each school, the correlation would be much stronger. ray had a decent article on this, but i'm honestly too apathetic to search for it. rest assured that if we all of us went to the same gigantic school and were randomly distributed throughout the sections, you'd find a much, much stronger correlation between 1L grades and lsat.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:40 pm

Theoretically higher ranking means stiffer competition, but I'm unconvinced that this is a linear progression. Sure it's harder to beat the curve at Harvard than it is at Cooley, but there are a lot of smart people at just about any let's say T1-ish law school, and the law school examination process rewards skills (articulateness, for one) that the LSAT doesn't. Additionally, many lower-ranked schools enforce brutal curves to try and weed out students who are likely to fail the bar.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:45 pm

I wish going to a lower-ranked school would mean I would instantly pwn everyone, but the margin for error is too small, and too many people who go to law school are willing to give it everything. I guess if I really wanted to game things though I would try going PT to GULC with an undemanding job and hope my classmates have less energy to devote.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:50 pm

IAFG wrote:I wish going to a lower-ranked school would mean I would instantly pwn everyone, but the margin for error is too small, and too many people who go to law school are willing to give it everything. I guess if I really wanted to game things though I would try going PT to GULC with an undemanding job and hope my classmates have less energy to devote.
That's not a bad idea actually. Teach LSAT or something, and take like 2 classes per semester.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:52 pm

i was wondering about the above. is there some kind of job requisite while you're there? i mean if you can transfer into full time after a year seems like having a really laid back job and busting your ass off studying all day could be a route to success?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:07 am

FlanAl wrote:i was wondering about the above. is there some kind of job requisite while you're there? i mean if you can transfer into full time after a year seems like having a really laid back job and busting your ass off studying all day could be a route to success?
No job requisite whatsoever.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:09 am

flyingpanda wrote:
FlanAl wrote:i was wondering about the above. is there some kind of job requisite while you're there? i mean if you can transfer into full time after a year seems like having a really laid back job and busting your ass off studying all day could be a route to success?
Can you take loans for living expenses? I mean, you're going to drop a fortune on Gulc anyway. What's another year if you can pwn your grades?

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:05 am

JazzOne wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:
Can you take loans for living expenses? I mean, you're going to drop a fortune on Gulc anyway. What's another year if you can pwn your grades?
I think if you factor in some opportunity cost, you may reconsider this though. I mean if you can graduate above the school median after 3 years and earn a reasonable amount of money in the 4th year, it is better so than staying in school for 4 years.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:07 am

tea_drinker wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:
I think if you factor in some opportunity cost, you may reconsider this though. I mean if you can graduate above the school median after 3 years and earn a reasonable amount of money in the 4th year, it is better so than staying in school for 4 years.
you can work while you're in school pt. you just don't work much for the first two years, and after you've secured a good gpa, then you start working.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”