New to this forum.. general questions

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jback2
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:08 am

New to this forum.. general questions

Postby jback2 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:33 am

I read a lot about T# schools.. T2, T15, T9. Does T2 mean a tier 2 school?

Also, I'm interested in sports and law! So obviously looking into a career in SPorts law would be logical, right? But realistically, is there even such a field, and what are the job prospects of that field? Who would offer me a job from that discipline?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: New to this forum.. general questions

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:35 am

The most important breakdowns are like this:

HYS - Harvard/Yale/Stanford, the "Holy Trinity"
HYSCCN - HYS plus Columbia, Chicago, and NYU; the "T6"
T10 - Top ten
T14 - Top 14 (short version, yes, there's a line at 14)
T1 - "Tier 1", top 50
T2 - "Tier 2", 51-100
T3 - "Tier 3" (almost always said as "TTT")
T4 - "Tier 4"

If you want "sports law" you should aim for HYS, especially ITE.

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: New to this forum.. general questions

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:38 am

jback2 wrote:I read a lot about T# schools.. T2, T15, T9. Does T2 mean a tier 2 school?

Also, I'm interested in sports and law! So obviously looking into a career in SPorts law would be logical, right? But realistically, is there even such a field, and what are the job prospects of that field? Who would offer me a job from that discipline?


Most men, and me lol, are interested/love sports, and yet we're going into law for different reasons/in different areas.
I would suggest you do some legit investigation before deciding sports law is for you... it's actually REALLY hard to get into, because you just have to already know people.
Only way around that is possibly HYS.

Warning: this is what I've heard from a lawyer, who, although successful, is no sports law expert as far as I can tell.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: New to this forum.. general questions

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:40 pm

vanwinkle wrote:The most important breakdowns are like this:

HYS - Harvard/Yale/Stanford, the "Holy Trinity"
HYSCCN - HYS plus Columbia, Chicago, and NYU; the "T6"
T10 - Top ten
T14 - Top 14 (short version, yes, there's a line at 14)
T1 - "Tier 1", top 50
T2 - "Tier 2", 51-100
T3 - "Tier 3" (almost always said as "TTT")
T4 - "Tier 4"

If you want "sports law" you should aim for HYS, especially ITE.


I am curious why do you say HYS for sport law? Is it because contract law or simply HYS carry the name?

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: New to this forum.. general questions

Postby paratactical » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:07 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:The most important breakdowns are like this:

HYS - Harvard/Yale/Stanford, the "Holy Trinity"
HYSCCN - HYS plus Columbia, Chicago, and NYU; the "T6"
T10 - Top ten
T14 - Top 14 (short version, yes, there's a line at 14)
T1 - "Tier 1", top 50
T2 - "Tier 2", 51-100
T3 - "Tier 3" (almost always said as "TTT")
T4 - "Tier 4"

If you want "sports law" you should aim for HYS, especially ITE.


I am curious why do you say HYS for sport law? Is it because contract law or simply HYS carry the name?


Because small niches like "sports" law or "entertainment" law are incredibly difficult to get into and the better school will give you better chances.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: New to this forum.. general questions

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:21 pm

paratactical wrote:Because small niches like "sports" law or "entertainment" law are incredibly difficult to get into and the better school will give you better chances.

This, for a few different reasons:

1) Prestige matters in the law, in nearly every field, not just sports law. It's one factor used by lawyers and law firms to decide you're better or worse than other applicants for the same job. Since sports law is a small and popular field, you'll be competing against top law school grads constantly, whether you are one or not.

2) Sports law is really a small niche in a high-dollar field. Because of that, the people who are hiring you want assurances their lawyers are worth the money. Being able to say "Your case is being handled by a Harvard Law grad" at that level is reassuring, clients love those kinds of things, so there's more value to a highly recognizable degree. Top law degrees are valuable marketing tools when dealing with non-lawyers.

3) Connections. The alumni networks for the top schools are powerful, and since there are alumni of these schools already doing sports law, you have something to tap into.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: New to this forum.. general questions

Postby kalvano » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:18 pm

Just to illustrate, I believe 3 of the professional sports teams here in Dallas (Rangers, Stars, and Mavs) all share one attorney. Maybe two.

There just aren't a whole lot of positions in "sports law".




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests