Pay the $12 for McGeorge School of Law?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Xnegd

Pay the $12 for McGeorge School of Law?

Postby Xnegd » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:16 pm

Hey,

As I'm sure a lot of us did, I just got a fee waiver for McGeorge School of Law. They mentioned something about a possibility for a full ride. It's ranked pretty far down the 2nd tier line, so I don't know if I should pay the $12 processing fee or not to apply. Anybody have any good things to say about this school? Would a hefty scholarship from it do anything to help me negotiate elsewhere?

jarofsoup

Re: Pay the $12 for McGeorge School of Law?

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:16 pm

Eh. Safety?

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:47 pm

Don't apply if you don't want to go there.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:18 pm

I wouldn't. Not unless you have the numbers to go there for free and are seriously considering attending.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:18 pm

Xnegd wrote:Hey,

As I'm sure a lot of us did, I just got a fee waiver for McGeorge School of Law. They mentioned something about a possibility for a full ride. It's ranked pretty far down the 2nd tier line, so I don't know if I should pay the $12 processing fee or not to apply. Anybody have any good things to say about this school? Would a hefty scholarship from it do anything to help me negotiate elsewhere?

I have heard good things about the general experience of going to McGeorge. It has a really good academic support program and does well in Sact., and even has a history of placing in some big law firms. But I believe that it fares very poorly to schools like Davis, Hastings, Santa Clara, even USF. If you are planning on applying to some schools in Cali with your numbers you should shoot for Davis over McGeorge.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:25 pm

and even has a history of placing in some big law firms.

Just about every law school in the country can place its valedictorian at a big law firm.

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:34 pm

McGeorge has a good reputation in portions of Northern California (excluding San Francisco - I'm talking Sacramento, Stockton, and east to Reno Nevada). Beyond that, your employment chances drop substantially - it's a very very regional school from what I've heard (which isn't at all surprising given its ranking). Justice Kennedy taught there for a while and occasionally drops by when in California. That's a perk most T2 law schools can't claim.

I applied because I'm anticipating a huge scholarship, and for $12 I decided it would be worth seeing what they would offer me.

Noval

Postby Noval » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:43 pm

If you just want a full-ride, then apply and see what happens, but if i was you, i would first do some research on this
Law School, look at placement stats, talk to 2L-3L students, see if someone shows up for OCI to recruit, look for alumnis and watch how they ended(Well or Broke.)...etc.

Take this seriously, a full-ride is not always the best idea if you're not considering a Top 14.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:22 pm

you are crazy if you attend McGeorge on anything less than a 2/3 scholarship, and graduate with less than 60k debt.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:46 pm

Also I don't know who the hell they give full rides to either. I applied thinking I could probably get full ride + rent stipend since my numbers were WAY above their 75ths in both. They offered me like $5,000 a year plus books and a free plane ticket to Sacramento for ASW. I loled and said forget them. McGeorge is a festering TTT. Davis students have a hard enough time finding work ITE, at McGeorge even top-10% doesn't guarantee you a job (and forget about biglaw). I literally wouldn't even be confident going into OCI if I were one of the top 4 or 5 students in the entire class at McGeorge since so few firms even interview there.

They claim they "own" the Sacramento market (or at least someone in their admissions office said this to me with a straight face when I spoke to him as an applicant), but this is BS. First of all, employers will always hire a Davis student with similar, or even a good bit worse, grades first. Secondly, there's almost no market to own. Sacramento's firms might have a TOTAL of 50 summer associate slots open in a given year. This is about what ONE NYC firm has open. McGeorge doesn't "own" shit, as most of those 50 spots are, ITE especially, going to go to Davis, Hastings, Berkeley, etc. students who can't find work in the Bay Area.

Conclusion: Take the $12 and enjoy some Quiznos.

Xnegd

Postby Xnegd » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:13 am

Thanks all, I appreciate all your responses! :)

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Do it.

I did it. I just got a full ride. Don't know if I'll go there. Probably won't. But hey... if you get a full-ride, it's at least worth the look, right?

Xnegd

Postby Xnegd » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:32 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:Do it.

I did it. I just got a full ride. Don't know if I'll go there. Probably won't. But hey... if you get a full-ride, it's at least worth the look, right?

Are your stats close to mine?

Return to “Law School FAQ”