AmeriCorps as a soft factor

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
funhouse3

AmeriCorps as a soft factor

Postby funhouse3 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:37 pm

How good does AmeriCorps look to law schools? There are a few past posts about it, but I was just wondering if anyone has any experience where an AmeriCorps service year or two got them into a school that they probably would not have been accepted to.

taxguy

Re: AmeriCorps as a soft factor

Postby taxguy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:29 am

I would bet that it isn't a strong soft. Strong softs are things that indicate potential success in law or law school or show some amazing drive. Examples of strong softs would be graduating with highest distinction in grad school, Receiving a fullbright or Marshal Scholarship, CPA with good scores, writing a best selling book, being an olympian ( although I don't know if law schools will consider this factor that important), wining a Medel of Honor or Silver Star in combat.

ssteinway

Postby ssteinway » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:34 am

Seeing as how many (most?) of the top law schools offer an automatic fee waiver for TFA participants, I have to disagree with taxguy. It shows leadership and commitment. From an article about Harvard's new acceptance trends:

“Experience is something we look for in the admissions process,” Rubenstein said. “People with work experience typically have strong leadership skills and bring good perspectives to the community. They have a strong idea of what they want to get out of law school.”

To me, serving with Americorps would definitely demonstrate that someone had strong leadership skills and a different perspective.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:39 am

I think it would add to an application, but will definitely NOT make up for numbers. Perhaps you might gain admission where they would otherwise be on the fence. I also think it largely depends on which AmeriCorps program you are referring to- some have achieved much more prominence and name-recognition than others.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:45 am

funhouse3 wrote:How good does AmeriCorps look to law schools?

It's a good soft, but it won't propel you beyond your LSAT/GPA range. Are you asking because you are in AmeriCorps and plan on applying to law school? Or because you are looking for something to bolster your resume/application. (the latter is a stupid idea BTW)

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:00 pm

ssteinway wrote:Seeing as how many (most?) of the top law schools offer an automatic fee waiver for TFA participants, I have to disagree with taxguy. It shows leadership and commitment. From an article about Harvard's new acceptance trends:

“Experience is something we look for in the admissions process,” Rubenstein said. “People with work experience typically have strong leadership skills and bring good perspectives to the community. They have a strong idea of what they want to get out of law school.”

To me, serving with Americorps would definitely demonstrate that someone had strong leadership skills and a different perspective.

americorps is 1/10 as impressive as TFA. it's generally unselective.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:02 pm

IAFG wrote:
ssteinway wrote:Seeing as how many (most?) of the top law schools offer an automatic fee waiver for TFA participants, I have to disagree with taxguy. It shows leadership and commitment. From an article about Harvard's new acceptance trends:

TFA is an Americorps program..

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:05 pm

arism87 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

kay, non-TFA americorps. i've heard there are other selective americorps programs but you're betting on adcomms knowing which they are. also, TFA isn't a game-changer.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:06 pm

IAFG wrote:
arism87 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

kay, non-TFA americorps. i've heard there are other selective americorps programs but you're betting on adcomms knowing which they are. also, TFA isn't a game-changer.

Agreed, just saying.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:07 pm

arism87 wrote:Agreed, just saying.

you win at semantics, congrats

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:11 pm

As a current Americorps VISTA, TFA far and away has the best reputation and is the most selective/well-run. If you want to do PI, from what I've heard it's at that point that service is a boost, not in LS admissions.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:26 pm

IAFG wrote:
arism87 wrote:Agreed, just saying.

you win at semantics, congrats

It was unclear if you knew that. No need to be nasty.

funhouse3

Postby funhouse3 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:08 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
funhouse3 wrote:How good does AmeriCorps look to law schools?

It's a good soft, but it won't propel you beyond your LSAT/GPA range. Are you asking because you are in AmeriCorps and plan on applying to law school? Or because you are looking for something to bolster your resume/application. (the latter is a stupid idea BTW)

I am in an AmeriCorps program already. I know TFA is the most known and probably well respected, but my program is actually pretty selective.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:20 pm

funhouse3 wrote:How good does AmeriCorps look to law schools? There are a few past posts about it, but I was just wondering if anyone has any experience where an AmeriCorps service year or two got them into a school that they probably would not have been accepted to.

Is AmeriCorps a soft factor? Yes.

How much of an impact will it have? That all depends on you. It depends on two things:

1) Whether you make it a quality experience - i.e., own the job and do damn good work and learn some valuable skills. Especially focus on learning good softskills - real world leadership (not the BS head of a college organization crap), real world problem solving, and just basic real world inter-personal skills.

2) Figure out how to sell it to the AdComs. Look, the Adcoms have a certain LSAT and GPA they're trying to hit, but after that, they're looking for interesting people who will go somewhere in life. So, when you write your PS, use something from your AmeriCorps experience that shows (not tells) something that you learned or did of particular value.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:43 pm

Non-TFA AmeriCorps work will be viewed as no different than any other year of WE, generally. Could provide fodder for a good PS though.

eve2490

Postby eve2490 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:41 am

Return to “Law School FAQ”