Do you have a family member that is a lawyer? (POLL)

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Do you have a family member that is a lawyer?

Yes
37%
No
63%

Total votes: 90

GettingReady2010

Do you have a family member that is a lawyer? (POLL)

Postby GettingReady2010 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:05 pm

Also, state whether or not you think it puts you at an advantage to have a family member that is a lawyer. Yes, I realize your school is what's going to matter, but I have to wonder if having a family member in the profession makes you understand the "ins and outs" more.
Last edited by GettingReady2010 on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

patrickd139

Re: Do you have a family member that is a lawyer? (POLL)

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Poll needs moar options to account for multiple family members.

Postby 12262010 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:22 pm

nope

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:21 pm

Well I had to work through multiple people I know to meets some biglaw lawyers (my family members aren't the kind of people that would know very many). I think it has been helpful in knowing what schools to apply to and a little bit about what firms look for in graduates. The advice wasn't much different than here on TLS but I think knowing a few people and especially finding someone who is willing to be your mentor makes the process much less stressful for a 0L. Family can fill that role without the leg work and having to get lucky. I doubt it help at all in admissions or a job search (they might like you but you still have to be hireable).

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:28 pm

After reading the edited OP...

booyakasha wrote:nope

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:29 pm

One uncle on each side, plus my cousin.

Both my grandfathers on either side were lawyers, too, but they are both passed away.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:49 pm

My dad, aunt (dad's sister) and uncle (dad's brother-in-law) are all attorneys. My dad was a prosecutor before becoming a judge, and my aunt and uncle work for the state legislature. I think I grew up with a pretty narrow view of the law, so I always thought of it as sort of a back-up if I couldn't do something more interesting.
Now I've worked in a handful of exciting fields (theater, fashion, events planning), and I still loved the work I did when I had a research position at a V50 firm better. I just want to dive into contracts and make adjustments, as boring as that might seem to many.

My family members might be able to help me make contacts with judges for a 1L summer clerkship depending on their ethical obligations (not sure if or how much they're allowed to help). I think in terms of getting a job, though, having solid work connections is better than family connections....unless you're taking over a family member's firm. ;)

As far as understanding what's going on... I feel I have a basic understanding of transactional law from my work, and perhaps a little better understanding of criminal law from my dad. I definitely know far more about the recruiting process, though, from my work at the law firm, especially since I spent time assisting an attorney on the recruiting committee. I also have a broader awareness of the types of law after my years at the firm.

Overall, I feel work experience trumps family connections, but maybe that's just me.

Does that answer your question?

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:03 am

I have one uncle that is an administrative law judge, and another that is a real estate lawyer. This has not helped me understand any aspect of the law one bit.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:16 am

It's not that helpful. My cousin is in midlaw and specializes in something that doesn't interest me. She attended a regional school during the boom. The whole T14/BigLaw thing is totally foreign to her. She's also not aware of how bad the legal market is right now, I think. Don't get me wrong, she's given me great advice, but it was mostly along the lines of "relax, kid" and not directly related to legal stuff.

Return to “Law School FAQ”