firemedicprelaw wrote:Lwoods wrote:]
Just as you shouldn't sacrifice law school for her, she shouldn't chose a DO school over an MD school for you (unless she really, truly prefers the osteopathic approach over allopathic) as her earning potential is higher for the latter. Keep applying and look seriously at big cities. She should keep applying (to US MD programs) as well. Ranking doesn't matter as much for MD programs; though top 40 is ideal, matching is heavily based on Step 1 scores and MS3 grades.
I don't blame you for wanting to be close to each other for med school / law school, but there's really no need to chose a T3 over a T25 simply to be in the same city. My husband's medical school is in NYC, and classmates had lawyer / law student SOs who worked or went to school in Boston, Philly and DC. Welcome to the realm of professional studies.
DO and MD earning potential is IDENTICAL.
To OP: wait for more acceptances for her... and if she doesn't get them then get yourself a Masters degree while you wait... her residencies can be targeted for larger cities with good law schools.
Apologies; I was trying to be concise but ended up just muddling my actual point. A DO can be limiting if she might be interested in surgical specialties, which tend to be higher paid; there are fewer DO residency programs for surgical specialties, and many MD surgical residency programs don't rank DO applicants. Once in the specialty, however, the salaries are comparable. Unless she knows she prefers osteopathy, it's just a safer bet to stick to US MD programs from which it's easier to go into a wider variety of specialties.
I do think there can be benefit to waiting to apply for law school, definitely an option to explore. You can get some WE under your belt to help offset the cost of medical school / save for law school. The downside is you two as a couple will be struggling / living off loans for at least 7 years.