Long-term Relationship/Engaged

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
whymeohgodno

Re: Long-term Relationship/Engaged

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:59 pm

stratocophic wrote:
IAFG wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
IAFG wrote:i don't get how med/law student couples work since med students don't have much control over their residency placement and JDs are often confined to a few markets that are hiring or hiring at their schools. seems fail-awesomely-stay-at-home-FTW-bound.

it takes forever for MDs to get paid, and family practice docs don't get paid very well even later into their careers. this is NOT the way to gold-dig.

+1

Think of it as a long term investment.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:06 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
IAFG wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

it takes forever for MDs to get paid, and family practice docs don't get paid very well even later into their careers. this is NOT the way to gold-dig.

+1

Think of it as a long term investment.

9-10 years is way too long to wait for a pay off. Doctor is a good catch, an M0 isn't.

An 0L is a different kind of animal. You know within 12 months of their starting whether they will make good money or not, and you can cut your losses.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:06 pm

IAFG wrote:i don't get how med/law student couples work since med students don't have much control over their residency placement and JDs are often confined to a few markets that are hiring or hiring at their schools. seems fail-bound.

Eh, doctors who want to stay in cities that are also major legal markets are able to do so. One of my contacts in my goal city offered to hook my husband up with the ortho practice in his neighborhood. ;)
It is difficult, though. All the more reason to not jump two tiers down in the rankings to go to school in the same city.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:07 pm

IAFG wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
IAFG wrote:i don't get how med/law student couples work since med students don't have much control over their residency placement and JDs are often confined to a few markets that are hiring or hiring at their schools. seems fail-awesomely-stay-at-home-FTW-bound.

dermatology and opthalmology ftw ($225k for 45-47 hrs/week with controllable schedules)
http://www.medfriends.org/specialty_salaries.htm

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:26 pm

im_blue wrote:
IAFG wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

dermatology and opthalmology ftw ($225k for 45-47 hrs/week with controllable schedules)

Radiology is even better; some even work from home. ;)

I agree with DF, though. A 0M is not a catch. 4 years of medical school (likely with tons of debt as medical schools don't offer much in the way of scholarships), 3 years for primary care residencies / 5+ for higher paid specialties, possibly a year or two for fellowship... oh, and residents can't defer their loans during residency without accruing interest anymore. Hello, IBR.

Law students are jealous of doctors because their 6 figure salaries are pretty much guaranteed... eventually. Med students are jealous of lawyers because those who get jobs start seeing $$ sooner. They're both rather bourgeois careers. If you're in it for the money, go into i-banking / marry a hedge fund manager.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:05 pm

im_blue wrote:
IAFG wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

and if you knew for sure which M0 or M1 would to land this gig then chasing med students would make sense. if you're going to gold-dig on professional students, setting your sights on an electrical-engineer-turned-law-student is the safer bet. unsubtle DF is a hot property trolling.

Postby 12262010 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:09 pm

Amir N wrote:I'm curious how many young people (20's) on this board would consider sacrificing school rankings on behalf of staying close to their significant other whom they could see marrying. More specifically, I'm wondering how many would give up schools like WUSTL, UIUC, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Bloomington at sticker to go to free rides at T3's such as Drake or Louisville. I've seen many threads regarding 30-somethings who are married or engaged or have kids who are clearly making the right choice and sticking by the partner.

The whole reason I'm curious is because my significant other is entering med school at either Louisville or Des Moines at the same time I will be entering law school, and both cities only have T3 schools.

fucking up your entire career for someone you "could see marrying" sounds like a hugeeeee mistake.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:10 pm

Amir N wrote:I'm curious how many young people (20's) on this board would consider sacrificing school rankings on behalf of staying close to their significant other whom they could see marrying. More specifically, I'm wondering how many would give up schools like WUSTL, UIUC, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Bloomington at sticker to go to free rides at T3's such as Drake or Louisville. I've seen many threads regarding 30-somethings who are married or engaged or have kids who are clearly making the right choice and sticking by the partner.

The whole reason I'm curious is because my significant other is entering med school at either Louisville or Des Moines at the same time I will be entering law school, and both cities only have T3 schools.

She's going to make more than you anyway. Follow the money (i.e. her)

Honestly though why didn't you guys figure this out beforehand? Seems like there's no commitment to the future.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:11 pm

booyakasha wrote:

fucking up your entire career for someone you "could see marrying" sounds like a hugeeeee mistake.

Paying sticker at University of Indiana at Bloomington is a not a promising career.

Postby 12262010 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
booyakasha wrote:

Paying sticker at University of Indiana at Bloomington is a not a promising career.

my bad, I was mentally replacing the listed schools with schools that aren't festering fifth tier shitholes.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
booyakasha wrote:

Paying sticker at University of Indiana at Bloomington Law is a not a promising career minus a few exceptions.

Fixed?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:18 pm

WTF are you smoking? Those schools aren't worth sticker to begin with. She's probably doing you a favor. Just forget law school entirely and teach until she starts making bank. Make her think you're putting her through med school

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:23 pm

Lwoods wrote:]

Just as you shouldn't sacrifice law school for her, she shouldn't chose a DO school over an MD school for you (unless she really, truly prefers the osteopathic approach over allopathic) as her earning potential is higher for the latter. Keep applying and look seriously at big cities. She should keep applying (to US MD programs) as well. Ranking doesn't matter as much for MD programs; though top 40 is ideal, matching is heavily based on Step 1 scores and MS3 grades.

I don't blame you for wanting to be close to each other for med school / law school, but there's really no need to chose a T3 over a T25 simply to be in the same city. My husband's medical school is in NYC, and classmates had lawyer / law student SOs who worked or went to school in Boston, Philly and DC. Welcome to the realm of professional studies.

DO and MD earning potential is IDENTICAL.

To OP: wait for more acceptances for her... and if she doesn't get them then get yourself a Masters degree while you wait... her residencies can be targeted for larger cities with good law schools.

Pierced

Postby Pierced » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:28 pm

I'm in a verrrry similar situation. My SO of 2 years and I agreed that we would simply be in the same state (California), or within a 4 hour drive (if we stayed on east coast). That way, we could see each other every other weekend. I would never make the sacrifice of going to a school ranked 50+ for an SO. I just think it's too risky in this economy.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:34 pm

Pierced wrote:I'm in a verrrry similar situation. My SO of 2 years and I agreed that we would simply be in the same state (California), or within a 4 hour drive (if we stayed on east coast). That way, we could see each other every other weekend.I would never make the sacrifice ofgoing to a school ranked 50+for an SO. I just think it's too risky in this economy.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:44 pm

ITT: a bunch of early twenty-somethings provide relationship/marriage advice vis-a-vis grad school. Discerning readers might be inclined to :roll: . OP do what you need to do. As someone who attends a T30, let me say that it's probably better to get money at a T3 than pay full sticker for T30, unless you truly have no idea where you'll end up after LS.*

Or retake. Either option works.

*Edit: I say this b/c T30's have at least a small chance at being national (5-10%, ITE?), where as that %'s even smaller at T3's.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:46 pm

MrKappus wrote:ITT: a bunch of early twenty-somethings and an old fart 30 something who's been around the block a few times provide relationship/marriage advice vis-a-vis grad school. Discerning readers might be inclined to :roll: . OP do what you need to do. As someone who attends a T30, let me say that it's probably better to get money at a T3 than pay full sticker for T30, unless you truly have no idea where you'll end up after LS.*

*Edit: I say this b/c T30's have at least a small chance at being national (5-10%, ITE?), where as that %'s even smaller at T3's.

FYP

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:47 pm

Fuck bitches get money.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:05 am

Desert Fox wrote:Fuck bitches get money.

--ImageRemoved--

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:13 am

I traded 4-5 ranking spots for a plane ride.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:13 am

James Bond wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Fuck bitches get money.

--ImageRemoved--

I never understood how this chap acquires the females with those teeth.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:14 am

JazzOne wrote:I never understood how this chap acquires the females with those teeth.

He's british. They don't care.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:09 am

JazzOne wrote:
MrKappus wrote:ITT: a bunch of early twenty-somethings and an old fart 30 something who's been around the block a few times provide relationship/marriage advice vis-a-vis grad school. Discerning readers might be inclined to :roll: . OP do what you need to do. As someone who attends a T30, let me say that it's probably better to get money at a T3 than pay full sticker for T30, unless you truly have no idea where you'll end up after LS.*

FYP

I'm glad you left the fact that discerning readers might still :roll: . I'm down w/ the T14 or bust, and if I didn't have a 2L SA I'd be cursing the day I cast off the TLS consensus, but I just can't get on board w/ the "I wouldn't upset my LS plans for anyone except my child(ren)" kind of statements. If you've been w/ someone for years, you don't just throw that aside for T14. You plan around it. Maybe those plans shouldn't involve law school, maybe they should, but it's way easier to advise ditching a multi-year relationship than it is to actually do it, in my experience.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:22 am

I'm cross country at a T20, I can suck it up for two years.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:23 am

Cupidity wrote:I'm cross country at a T20, I can suck it up for two years.

She'll be sucking up someone else's for those two years.

Return to “Law School FAQ”