Is a 3.8 THAT much better than a 3.78?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
utopian_grrl

Is a 3.8 THAT much better than a 3.78?

Postby utopian_grrl » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:19 pm

Obviously, from the topic, you can conclude that I currently have a 3.78. While I still have two more semesters that will ultimately determine my cumulative GPA, I'm wondering how falling short by as little as two one-hundredths could affect my law school and scholarship chances. I'm optimistic I'll reach a 3.8 but bad professors and health emergencies do happen...
Last edited by utopian_grrl on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noval

Re: Is a 3.8 THAT much beter than a 3.78?

Postby Noval » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:29 pm

utopian_grrl wrote:Obviously, from the topic, you can conclude that I currently have a 3.78. While I still have two more semesters that will ultimately determine my cumulative GPA, I'm wondering how falling short by as little as two one-hundredths could affect my law school and scholarship chances. I'm optimistic I'll reach a 3.8 but bad professors and health emergencies do happen...

Remember that if you get rejected from Law School, it's not because you're stats are too low, it's because someone who had better stats took your place.

That said, 3.8 is better than 3.78 and some other people can rank above you during selection.
You still have a good chance in a T14, but keep in mind that competition is stiff and there are applicants with much better stats, learn to stand out of the crowd with massive ECs or something similar and you will get accepted in your first choice University.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:32 pm

utopian_grrl wrote:Obviously, from the topic, you can conclude that I currently have a 3.78. While I still have two more semesters that will ultimately determine my cumulative GPA, I'm wondering how falling short by as little as two one-hundredths could affect my law school and scholarship chances. I'm optimistic I'll reach a 3.8 but bad professors and health emergencies do happen...

i would not say a 3.8 is THAT much better than a 3.78...unless the school's median falls at 3.8 lol. even then, obviously not a big deal...adcomms will not reject you BECAUSE your GPA was 0.02 off (and around 3.8 already)

some schools supposedly have 'soft' bottoms at 3.8...but those are soft by definition

whymeohgodno

Re: Is a 3.8 THAT much better than a 3.78?

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:20 am

I think it's all about the medians. If the median=3.79 and you have a 3.78 it can mean the world.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:31 am

DoubleChecks wrote:

i would not say a 3.8 is THAT much better than a 3.78...unless the school's median falls at 3.8 lol. even then, obviously not a big deal...adcomms will not reject you BECAUSE your GPA was 0.02 off (and around 3.8 already)

some schools supposedly have 'soft' bottoms at 3.8...but those are soft by definition

This. It is all about whether admitting you will bring down the median. That said, if it really isn't going to bring it down much (median=3.8 you=3.78) then I don't think it will make a difference. So to answer your question, no, .02 difference isn't a big deal in any case really.

Hannibal

Re: Is a 3.8 THAT much better than a 3.78?

Postby Hannibal » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:14 am

You should really be thinking much more about your LSAT than .02 points in your GPA. Your LSAT actually counts more than your GPA, one point in that means more than your .02.

Return to “Law School FAQ”