what are your "college means" for GPA and LSAT? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Barbie

Gold

Re: what are your "college means" for GPA and LSAT?

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:52 am

coolymx wrote:
Barbie wrote: Well, that could also be because of 9890483290483209480239 different things (PS, LORs, etc etc). I'm just curious with all things the same-- if your UG institution had better #s... would it be different?
I suspect the admission committee must, perhaps subconsciously, discriminate undergrad institutions to an extent. I mean, they are human too.

if two people are exact same in every respect in terms of numbers, qualifcations etc., and one's from an Ivy School, and one's from "Lame Duck University", who would you want at ur law school?
Haha thats obvious, but... Thats not really what I'm curious about. I'm talking about more two schools who are on the same playing field rankings wise. Like two big, state universities. One who has a 155/3.3 average and one who has a 148/3.0 average, for example. It doesn't really matter.. I just wonder. Also, my school has had only a few people even apply to law school. The school has been around since 1956 and only has 800 applicants (Is this ever?). Plus, we don't have a prelaw advisor, any type of prelaw track or courses... so that prob has SOMETHING to do with the low numbers. Idk... I'm over thinking it haha.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:39 pm

3.47/160.

I'm 3.45/PTing 160. I'm an embarrassment to NYU.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:55 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:3.47/160.

Why? You're average.

coolymx

New

Post by coolymx » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:07 pm

Barbie wrote: Haha thats obvious, but... Thats not really what I'm curious about. I'm talking about more two schools who are on the same playing field rankings wise. Like two big, state universities. One who has a 155/3.3 average and one who has a 148/3.0 average, for example. It doesn't really matter.. I just wonder. Also, my school has had only a few people even apply to law school. The school has been around since 1956 and only has 800 applicants (Is this ever?). Plus, we don't have a prelaw advisor, any type of prelaw track or courses... so that prob has SOMETHING to do with the low numbers. Idk... I'm over thinking it haha.
Regarding the 800 applicants, I do believe it's only the total for the past 3 years.

Regarding your main curious concern about the two universities, in my completely unprofessional, uneducated, just-plain-guessing opinion, it will make only a fraction of a difference, if any at all.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:55 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

Why? You're average.
You've never been to NYU I presume. Some of the people who went there are brilliant, but some of the others are, just, like, how do I put it? dumb as a post.

Then again my perspective could be skewed because I just have really smart friends.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:57 pm

coolymx wrote:
Barbie wrote: Haha thats obvious, but... Thats not really what I'm curious about. I'm talking about more two schools who are on the same playing field rankings wise. Like two big, state universities. One who has a 155/3.3 average and one who has a 148/3.0 average, for example. It doesn't really matter.. I just wonder. Also, my school has had only a few people even apply to law school. The school has been around since 1956 and only has 800 applicants (Is this ever?). Plus, we don't have a prelaw advisor, any type of prelaw track or courses... so that prob has SOMETHING to do with the low numbers. Idk... I'm over thinking it haha.
Regarding the 800 applicants, I do believe it's only the total for the past 3 years.

Regarding your main curious concern about the two universities, in my completely unprofessional, uneducated, just-plain-guessing opinion, it will make only a fraction of a difference, if any at all.

You really think its over the last 3 years? Does anyone else have a number of applicants to compare this to? :D

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:34 pm

Barbie wrote:
coolymx wrote:

You really think its over the last 3 years? Does anyone else have a number of applicants to compare this to? :D
Yup, these numbers are for the last three years. My school is fairly small (~8000 undergrads) and had a pool of 536 applicants.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:45 pm

beachbum wrote:
Barbie wrote: You really think its over the last 3 years? Does anyone else have a number of applicants to compare this to? :D
Yup, these numbers are for the last three years. My school is fairly small (~8000 undergrads) and had a pool of 536 applicants.
Oh weird! I know UCF (public school in the middle of florida) has like, 1600.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:26 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Why? You're average.
You've never been to NYU I presume. Some of the people who went there are brilliant, but some of the others are, just, like, how do I put it? dumb as a post.

Then again my perspective could be skewed because I just have really smart friends.
This can be said for just about any university. Brilliant people and dumb people exist everywhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:27 pm

Barbie wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Barbie wrote: You really think its over the last 3 years? Does anyone else have a number of applicants to compare this to? :D
UCF is ranked #20 for number of ABA law school applicants (UF is #1 and FSU is #6).

http://www.lsac.org/LSACResources/Data/ ... chools.pdf

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:29 pm

im_blue wrote:
Barbie wrote:
beachbum wrote:
UCF is ranked #20 for number of ABA law school applicants (UF is #1 and FSU is #6).

Holy cow!!! I had no idea so many floridians applied to LS hahaa

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:31 pm

Barbie wrote:
im_blue wrote: UCF is ranked #20 for number of ABA law school applicants (UF is #1 and FSU is #6).

It's probably because FL has a lot of TTTs relative to its population (FAMU, Nova Southeastern, FL Coastal, Ave Maria, Barry, etc).

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:33 pm

im_blue wrote:
Barbie wrote:
im_blue wrote: UCF is ranked #20 for number of ABA law school applicants (UF is #1 and FSU is #6).

It's probably because FL has a lot of TTTs relative to its population (FAMU, Nova Southeastern, FL Coastal, Ave Maria, Barry, etc).
Meh, could be mistaking which is cause and which is effect. Who knows!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:40 pm

I'm waiting for my academic summary report. It's probably going to be around a 3.3/156 though (just guessing).

gerbal

New

Post by gerbal » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:20 pm

for anyone who's interested. Found this on the JHU pre-professional advising site.

http://web.jhu.edu/bin/o/w/0809LawSchoo ... lGrads.pdf

thought they would do better than this...

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:41 pm

gerbal wrote:for anyone who's interested. Found this on the JHU pre-professional advising site.

I suppose the sample's skewed...JHU is a science school.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:57 am

gerbal wrote:for anyone who's interested. Found this on the JHU pre-professional advising site.

Found some more:

Cornell (Page 30) --LinkRemoved--

Emory --LinkRemoved--

Oberlin (Page 25) http://www.oberlin.edu/career/students/ ... 09_000.pdf

Ohio State http://oaa.osu.edu/irp/budget_advisory/ ... nkings.pdf

Stanford http://www.stanford.edu/group/SPLS/docu ... sMay08.pdf

Tufts --LinkRemoved--

Vassar (Page 26) --LinkRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:11 am

Edit: I found it.

It's horrible.

3.29/153. I'm ashamed.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:28 am

im_blue wrote:

Found some more:

Cornell (Page 30) --LinkRemoved--

Emory --LinkRemoved--

Oberlin (Page 25) http://www.oberlin.edu/career/students/ ... 09_000.pdf

Ohio State http://oaa.osu.edu/irp/budget_advisory/ ... nkings.pdf

Stanford http://www.stanford.edu/group/SPLS/docu ... sMay08.pdf

Tufts --LinkRemoved--

Vassar (Page 26) --LinkRemoved--
Cornell University
166.3 3.68

Unabashed favorism shown by Cornell to Cornell undergrads lololol.

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:30 am

Barbie wrote:U. South Florida (lol)
3.18/149 (lol!!!)

So uh... does this make me look REALLY bad because I go here, or good because I (somewhat) excelled when few of my kind did :)
Dude, after meeting some USF students, I'm surprised it's that high...

...no offense...

Apparently 11% of the kids at my undergrad scored at the 19th percentile or below. *sigh*

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:53 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Edit: I found it.

It's horrible.

3.29/153. I'm ashamed.
Mine is 3.26/150. I am not ashamed. I am the only one in the 95th percentile. :shock:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:10 pm

I'm a 3.19, 153

Not surprised considering the individuals who attended my University.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:11 pm

Ginj wrote:
3.18/149 (lol!!!)

So uh... does this make me look REALLY bad because I go here, or good because I (somewhat) excelled when few of my kind did :)

...no offense...

Apparently 11% of the kids at my undergrad scored at the 19th percentile or below. *sigh*
:( I've gone to school here for 2 years now, and within the English dept., and especially the honor's program, there are some pretty smart kids... but I don't much venture out of my small bubble because of that.

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:14 pm

Barbie wrote:
Ginj wrote:
3.18/149 (lol!!!)

...no offense...

:( I've gone to school here for 2 years now, and within the English dept., and especially the honor's program, there are some pretty smart kids... but I don't much venture out of my small bubble because of that.
It's hard to socialize when you go to a school with mostly..... stupid people. I know, I tried.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Edit: I found it.

It's horrible.

3.29/153. I'm ashamed.
Mine is 3.26/150. I am not ashamed. I am the only one in the 95th percentile. :shock:
Well if you're at top at a college you should be proud no matter how bad the college.

Me I'm not even at the top. That's the sad thing. I can't believe I go to a college where the median LSAT is a 153...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”