Law Schools on a Trimester System Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sfalloon

New

Law Schools on a Trimester System

Post by sfalloon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi.

Dose anyone know of any US law schools that run on a trimester as opposed to a semester system?
I am contemplating law school and am trying to get as much information as possible. Thank you.

btw. I looked at the ABA website and was unable to find this information.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Re: Law Schools on a Trimester System

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:06 pm

I would kill myself. 3 finals instead of 2?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:09 pm

This would be pointless information to know.

law_noob

New

Post by law_noob » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:12 pm

i know u chi and baylor do

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:17 pm

FWIW stanford just moved to the trimester system

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sfalloon

New

Post by sfalloon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:18 pm

bk187 wrote:This would be pointless information to know.
Actually it wouldn't be pointless. A trimester system could allow me to take couses in fall, spring and summer or fall and spring only or summer and spring only. The ability have more flexibility in my schedule is important to me.

---
"Law_noob" and "The stig", thank you for your help.

law_noob

New

Post by law_noob » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:20 pm

trimester system means that the school has 4 quarters and to complete one year you have to take 3 out fo the 4. so, you can do spring summer fall, or fall winter spring. with a trimester system, you have to take 3 terms, never just 2.

sfalloon

New

Post by sfalloon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:59 pm

I understand that "law_nood", the same rules apply to undergrad trimester schools.. but if I needed to requesst a level of absence or anything of that sort I would have a bit more fexibility. The other reason is I am not a hugh fan of the semester system at this point in life, trimester and quater systems are more to my liking.

Thank you for your help.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Just out of curiosity, can someone take 6 quarters back to back to finish law school in a year and a half?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

law_noob

New

Post by law_noob » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:16 pm

I'm pretty sure that trimester schools have a higher number of required hours. So, no. But you could take all four quarters the first two years and then only have one left for the third year, which would allow you to finish in 27 months

sfalloon

New

Post by sfalloon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:45 pm

FWIW. I just found out Cooley offers three start dates; January, May and September. Their website suggests you could finish in two years, it appears mathematically possible.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:01 pm

sfalloon wrote:FWIW. I just found out Cooley offers three start dates; January, May and September. Their website suggests you could finish in two years, it appears mathematically possible.
Flame? Don't go to Cooley.

sfalloon

New

Post by sfalloon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:21 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
sfalloon wrote:FWIW. I just found out Cooley offers three start dates; January, May and September. Their website suggests you could finish in two years, it appears mathematically possible.
Why not?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:13 pm

sfalloon wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Why not?
--ImageRemoved--

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:20 pm

9 quarters would be required. The ABA may mandate a minimum of 2 academic years.

This is important information for a variety of reasons, including the ability to offer two term courses in light of the recent trend of eliminating year-long courses.

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:26 pm

Jealous of my friends at U.Chicago who are on the trimester system.

The benefit: they are finished with OCI before classes even start. They don't get behind in a single class due to CBs, etc.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Another benefit of the trimester system is that it may allow one to concentrate on fewer courses each term.

P.S. Chicago's first year students take only 8 exams during their first year---which is similiar to most law schools except that 2 exams are given after the first quarter, two after the second & four after the third.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:53 am

Summer jobs are critical after your 1L and 2L years. You can't take the Fall semester off and study over summer, unless perhaps you find a Fall internship instead (not an option for big law, but could be an option for other jobs). There is nothing wrong with a trimester system, but I doubt it will give you more flexibility.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:27 am

monkey85 wrote:Jealous of my friends at U.Chicago who are on the trimester system.

The benefit: they are finished with OCI before classes even start. They don't get behind in a single class due to CBs, etc.
FWIW, CLS didn't start until 9/6 this year; and from Chicago's academic calendar, they started on 9/26 (http://www.law.uchicago.edu/students/academiccalendar). CLS had OCI from 8/11-8/16 and U of C had it from 8/23-9/1. That means Chicago had 25 days between the last day of OCI and the beginning of classes, CLS had 21 days. Not too much difference. Though if you got a CB from the beginning of Chicago's OCI, that gap would widen. Not 100% sure what my point is -- I think it's that at least the top schools try to leave time for students to get OCI stuff sorted out before classes start; I know Harvard moved their OCI up this year too. Rumor would say this is to steal more jobs from other schools though.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:33 am

At UChicago they don't offer any courses during the summer at all. You HAVE to take a full load of courses in fall, winter, and spring in order to graduate.

But yes, the late start date has major OCI benefits, and 1L is really manageable with only 2 exams each the first 2 quarters. Downside is that you go later into the summer and have to start your job later, although I've never heard of anyone having a big problem with this.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:35 am

sfalloon wrote:I understand that "law_nood", the same rules apply to undergrad trimester schools.. but if I needed to requesst a level of absence or anything of that sort I would have a bit more fexibility. The other reason is I am not a hugh fan of the semester system at this point in life, trimester and quater systems are more to my liking.

Thank you for your help.
QF Freudian slip

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:53 pm

sfalloon wrote:Hi.

Dose anyone know of any US law schools that run on a trimester as opposed to a semester system?
Also UW

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”