A Withdraw (W) versus a C

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
anagusaytsil
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:41 pm

A Withdraw (W) versus a C

Postby anagusaytsil » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:45 pm

I am a freshman at a top 20 US College and I am interested in applying to Law School in the future. I currently am taking 4 classes and have high As in 3 of them but possibly a C in Calculus. I still have time to Withdraw..The question is: Should I withdraw and possibly get a 4.0? How bad is a C? Yes, I know even if I get a C I'll still have time to raise my GPA before I have to apply for Law School, but I also have time to retake Calculus another time and be more prepared. Thoughts?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: A Withdraw (W) versus a C

Postby Knock » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:46 pm

anagusaytsil wrote:I am a freshman at a top 20 US College and I am interested in applying to Law School in the future. I currently am taking 4 classes and have high As in 3 of them but possibly a C in Calculus. I still have time to Withdraw..The question is: Should I withdraw and possibly get a 4.0? How bad is a C? Yes, I know even if I get a C I'll still have time to raise my GPA before I have to apply for Law School, but I also have time to retake Calculus another time and be more prepared. Thoughts?


W is much, much better than a C. Just make absolutely sure that the W is nonpunitive.

anagusaytsil
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: A Withdraw (W) versus a C

Postby anagusaytsil » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:48 pm

It is non-punitive. Ahh I feel a lot less pressure now. Math is not exactly my cup of tea. Thank You!

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: A Withdraw (W) versus a C

Postby Knock » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:49 pm

anagusaytsil wrote:It is non-punitive. Ahh I feel a lot less pressure now. Math is not exactly my cup of tea. Thank You!


I'd recommend withdrawing and taking it at a local community college then.

anagusaytsil
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: A Withdraw (W) versus a C

Postby anagusaytsil » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:50 pm

That sounds like a splendid plan. Any other thoughts?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: A Withdraw (W) versus a C

Postby Knock » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:50 pm

anagusaytsil wrote:That sounds like a splendid plan. Any other thoughts?


Major in liberal arts :lol:.

almostfamous
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:08 pm

Re: A Withdraw (W) versus a C

Postby almostfamous » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:54 pm

God what I would do to be able to go back and major in something other than science...

anagusaytsil
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: A Withdraw (W) versus a C

Postby anagusaytsil » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:57 pm

Hahahhaa..I'm very fortunate that I'm not even remotely interested in majoring in the Natural Sciences.

Conclusion: One W is better than One C?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: A Withdraw (W) versus a C

Postby Knock » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:57 pm

anagusaytsil wrote:Hahahhaa..I'm very fortunate that I'm not even remotely interested in majoring in the Natural Sciences.

Conclusion: One W is better than One C?


Definitely.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: A Withdraw (W) versus a C

Postby 2014 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:11 pm

Wouldn't 3 classes put you as part time? If so that will not be seen as a good thing and if you are getting scholarships or taking out loans, it might effect those for the future. W is still probably better than a C, but this is not a good way to start.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: A Withdraw (W) versus a C

Postby Knock » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:13 pm

2014 wrote:Wouldn't 3 classes put you as part time? If so that will not be seen as a good thing and if you are getting scholarships or taking out loans, it might effect those for the future. W is still probably better than a C, but this is not a good way to start.


I wouldn't worry about it. Dropping down to a part time student for one quarter/semester won't be a big deal.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: A Withdraw (W) versus a C

Postby cinephile » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:20 pm

If you withdraw will you lose full-time student status (at my school it was 12 hours)? If you have scholarships/financial aid that are contingent on remaining full-time, then withdrawing could hurt you.

anagusaytsil
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: A Withdraw (W) versus a C

Postby anagusaytsil » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:26 pm

No, my school actually gives one free W for freshmen (that's why it's non-punitive).




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kinglew and 2 guests