Letters of Rec Life span Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
houng89

New

Letters of Rec Life span

Post by houng89 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:10 am

I am a graduating undergraduate senior and was planning on applying to law school this fall. Because my October LSAT score was not as high as I would like I have decided to apply next fall instead. However, my teachers are already in the process of writing/sending in my letters of recommendation. Does anyone know if these letters of rec have a maximum life span or will the letters be good for an indefinite amount of time? Basically, if I apply next year will I need to obtain new up to date letters of rec?

Thanks for any help,
TLS Noobie

Adjudicator

Silver

Re: Letters of Rec Life span

Post by Adjudicator » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:11 am

lol.... my LORs are both over 2 years old, and I was already out of UG for over 2 years when they were written and my teachers barely remembered me.... in short, my LORs suck.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:34 am

Adjudicator wrote:lol.... my LORs are both over 2 years old, and I was already out of UG for over 2 years when they were written and my teachers barely remembered me.... in short, my LORs suck.
This is why you secure them at the end of the semester, even if you're not applying to law school right away.

houng89

New

Post by houng89 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:09 am

I am sorry I still am confused as to if my question has even been answered yet. One guy told me that his LOR's sucked and the other gave me a recommendation to get my LOR after I take my class with the professor that is writing my rec. Does anyone know for sure whether or not the LOR's have an expiration date?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:18 am

houng89 wrote:I am sorry I still am confused as to if my question has even been answered yet. One guy told me that his LOR's sucked and the other gave me a recommendation to get my LOR after I take my class with the professor that is writing my rec. Does anyone know for sure whether or not the LOR's have an expiration date?
They'll be there until your account with LSAC expires (its says somewhere on the site. But it lasts for a looong time).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:38 am

I believe they last 5 years, like the rest of your LSAC account.

Saiith

New

Post by Saiith » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:37 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:lol.... my LORs are both over 2 years old, and I was already out of UG for over 2 years when they were written and my teachers barely remembered me.... in short, my LORs suck.
This is why you secure them at the end of the semester, even if you're not applying to law school right away.
So can I ask my profs to submit their letters to LSAC even though I know I'm not applying this year?

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:21 am

One of my recommenders died before I was born.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:15 am

Saiith wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
So can I ask my profs to submit their letters to LSAC even though I know I'm not applying this year?
Yes, you can and you should. LSAC will hold on to them for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”