Fee Waivers Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
redsoxfan2495

Bronze

Fee Waivers

Post by redsoxfan2495 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:13 pm

In the last couple of days as October LSAT scores have come in it seems that everyone on here has received a bunch of fee waivers. I did pretty well (172) and I've yet to receive a single one. This may be a stupid question with a simple answer, but why do you think this is? Do I have to register to receive fee waivers on LSAC.org or something like that?

pixystics

New

Re: Fee Waivers

Post by pixystics » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:48 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:In the last couple of days as October LSAT scores have come in it seems that everyone on here has received a bunch of fee waivers. I did pretty well (172) and I've yet to receive a single one. This may be a stupid question with a simple answer, but why do you think this is? Do I have to register to receive fee waivers on LSAC.org or something like that?
If you're registered on LSAC.org and have checked the box indicating you want schools to be able to contact you, you should start receiving them soon. If there's a school you're especially interested in, try emailing admissions and asking for a fee waiver. Also, I've found that adding schools to my LSAC list has prompted them offer a fee waiver (with notice via email).

redsoxfan2495

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan2495 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:31 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll head over on over to LSAC right now.

lornarose07

New

Post by lornarose07 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:05 pm

I received all of my fee waivers by actually filing for one with LSAC. It required me photocopying and mailing every single page of my tax report to LSAC, but as a result, every school I'm applying to offers application fee waivers to applicants who have LSAC fee waivers. I have also received a couple emails from schools saying that they would waive my app fee based on my LSAT score.

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:10 pm

I could be mistaken, but I thought most people in those threads saying they had fee waivers were the ones from June (or the LSAC fee waiver which many school accepts). I accredited not getting merit-based fee waivers to the weekend, and in fact got at least 9 today. Just a heads up if you haven't gotten them already OP, but with a 172 on October's administration I just got:
William & Mary
WUSTL
Virginia
Indiana
Duke
Georgetown
Minnesota
UCLA
South Carolina.

Hope you've gotten yours already!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

redsoxfan2495

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan2495 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:54 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. It appears that I was just being impatient, as I've now received waivers from William & Mary, Virginia, Georgetown, Temple, Minnesota and UCLA. I also got one from UConn for attending a law school forum. They seem to be coming in every few hours. Unfortunately I was only planning on applying to Georgetown and maybe Virginia out of those schools, but every waiver helps.

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:56 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. It appears that I was just being impatient, as I've now received waivers from William & Mary, Virginia, Georgetown, Temple, Minnesota and UCLA. I also got one from UConn for attending a law school forum. They seem to be coming in every few hours. Unfortunately I was only planning on applying to Georgetown and maybe Virginia out of those schools, but every waiver helps.
I'm with you there, but WUSTL could be pretty intriguing with a scholarship offer!

Saiith

New

Post by Saiith » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:36 pm

Hm I didn't know this was how it worked. I just today (Nov 1st) checked the box allowing schools to contact me; should I expect any e-mails or letters or am I too late?

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:11 am

I got about 5 fee waivers at school's I'm very interested in (unsolicited by me). Therefore I am assuming I fit the profile with my ethnicity and/or lsat and gpa score
Can people post their experiences on whether schools accepted or rejected them after offering a fee waiver (not based on financial need)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:49 am

masterthearts wrote:I got about 5 fee waivers at school's I'm very interested in (unsolicited by me). Therefore I am assuming I fit the profile with my ethnicity and/or lsat and gpa score
Can people post their experiences on whether schools accepted or rejected them after offering a fee waiver (not based on financial need)?
I'd also like to know the answer to this.

ziggie

Bronze

Post by ziggie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:10 pm

Me too. I keep getting badass fee waivers.. I would love to know what the average fee waiver/acceptance ratio is

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:14 pm

I would also love to know that ratio. I also got some badass fee waivers, from schools I would never apply to..even if I got a free ride.
But, I also got some pretty nice ones to Northwestern, Michigan, UVA, Duke..etc.
Does uva send them out to everyone who has ever taken the lsat? or, are they selective.
My mother emailed uva pretending she was a student applying and asked if it's a bad sign that she didn't get a fee waiver..guess what? They emailed her a fee waiver too.
Is that funny? Or scary?

ziggie

Bronze

Post by ziggie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:51 pm

masterthearts wrote:I would also love to know that ratio. I also got some badass fee waivers, from schools I would never apply to..even if I got a free ride.
I meant badass as in awesome haha --> Mich, UVA, Duke, Northwestern, USC...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:53 pm

Don't read into fee waivers. They don't mean you're going to get accepted or rejected. They just mean that you received a fee waiver.

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:52 pm

then does everyone get fee waivers??

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:16 pm

masterthearts wrote:then does everyone get fee waivers??
Pretty much everyone gets SOME fee waivers. Every school does not send out waivers to every person though. For example, I've gotten waivers to Cardozo and Northwestern and I've seen that others have gotten waivers from Michigan, UVA and UCLA but I haven't gotten any of those.

I'm not quite sure how schools pick who to give waivers to but I imagine it's either people with high numbers who they think "deserve" them and people with low numbers that they'll be able to reject (in order to help their yield rate).

Saiith

New

Post by Saiith » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:00 pm

Saiith wrote:Hm I didn't know this was how it worked. I just today (Nov 1st) checked the box allowing schools to contact me; should I expect any e-mails or letters or am I too late?
Can anyone answer this?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:07 am

Saiith wrote:
Saiith wrote:Hm I didn't know this was how it worked. I just today (Nov 1st) checked the box allowing schools to contact me; should I expect any e-mails or letters or am I too late?
Can anyone answer this?
You're fine they should start to roll in. If you don't want to wait you can just email schools tell them your numbers and ask for fee waivers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”