Do USNWR IP rankings matter?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
mah

Do USNWR IP rankings matter?

Postby mah » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:26 am

I'm looking to practice IP law and I see that GWU is ranked behind Berkeley and Standford in USNWR IP rankings. Do these rankings have similar relevance to the general rankings. Will GWU grads have much better employment prospects in IP compared to GWU grads in other sections of employment?

Thanks.

beachbum

Re: Do USNWR IP rankings matter?

Postby beachbum » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 am

If you're comparing within a given school, then (all else equal) patent-eligible students tend to fare better than their non-eligible peers. If you're comparing between schools in different tiers (in the general rankings), go with the higher tier.

mah

Postby mah » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:35 am

Thanks for the response. I have a 167 and 3.84. I am hoping to work in CA. If I get accepted to Cornell at sticker versus GWU with decent $$$, is the obvious choice GWU?

Or am I better off just going to a school in CA like USC? I think UCLA & Berkeley will be WL for me or reject.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:40 am

mah wrote:Thanks for the response. I have a 167 and 3.84. I am hoping to work in CA. If I get accepted to Cornell at sticker versus GWU with decent $$$, is the obvious choice GWU?

What about USC/UCLA for CA employment? GW probably won't get you back to the west coast, and Cornell at sticker is a risky proposition. If you have really interesting/unique softs, Berkelely would also be worth an app.

mah

Postby mah » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:44 am

Ya I applied to UCLA, USC and Berkeley in September. I ED'ed to UVA and got WL (expected). I am a non-traditional applicant. High school drop out, 8 years of WE, other stuff. I'm hoping Berkeley might like that but I'm not holding my breath. UCLA seems like a crap shoot and is UCLA at sticker worth it? I think I'll get some money from USC but then there's the super high cost of living in LA... It seems like people with my numbers last cycle typically got offered around 100k from GWU and about 30-50k from USC. Based on that do you think USC > GWU?

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:02 pm

UCLA & USC are better for SoCal market than both Cornell & GWU.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:52 pm

mah wrote:Thanks for the response. I have a 167 and 3.84. I am hoping to work in CA. If I get accepted to Cornell at sticker versus GWU with decent $$$, is the obvious choice GWU?

Or am I better off just going to a school in CA like USC? I think UCLA & Berkeley will be WL for me or reject.

I think you have a good shot at Berkeley and UCLA

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:15 pm

mah wrote:Ya I applied to UCLA, USC and Berkeley in September. I ED'ed to UVA and got WL (expected). I am a non-traditional applicant. High school drop out, 8 years of WE, other stuff. I'm hoping Berkeley might like that but I'm not holding my breath. UCLA seems like a crap shoot and is UCLA at sticker worth it? I think I'll get some money from USC but then there's the super high cost of living in LA... It seems like people with my numbers last cycle typically got offered around 100k from GWU and about 30-50k from USC. Based on that do you think USC > GWU?

100K from GW!?! (Frantically logs in to LSAC to send the Application)

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:04 pm

USC and UCLA are much more likely to get you a job in CA. You can determine how you feel about weighing work area preferences and debt.

EricM

Postby EricM » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:05 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
mah wrote:Ya I applied to UCLA, USC and Berkeley in September. I ED'ed to UVA and got WL (expected). I am a non-traditional applicant. High school drop out, 8 years of WE, other stuff. I'm hoping Berkeley might like that but I'm not holding my breath. UCLA seems like a crap shoot and is UCLA at sticker worth it? I think I'll get some money from USC but then there's the super high cost of living in LA... It seems like people with my numbers last cycle typically got offered around 100k from GWU and about 30-50k from USC. Based on that do you think USC > GWU?

100K from GW!?! (Frantically logs in to LSAC to send the Application)

Make sure you ED.

Return to “Law School FAQ”