Advice please on where to apply ED.....

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
UCLAorbust

Advice please on where to apply ED.....

Postby UCLAorbust » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:19 am

Ok I need help making up my mind.....I got my lsat score today, and it is not too good, so I need to decide which schools i am going to apply to. My choices are (in this order) UCLA, USC, Loyola, Pepperdine, Southwestern. My GPA/LSAT are a little below the median for Loyola/Pepperdine, and well below the median for UCLA/USC. GPA: 3.3 (though it improved over the years, and I explain the early low ones, and I go to Berkeley), LSAT 158. I come from a very poor family (though I am white) and have an excellent personal statement and pretty good resume, and great recommendation letters. I want to go to UCLA reeeal bad, but I know my odds are slim. I was going to apply to UCLA Early decision, but now it seems like too much of a long shot. I am tempted to apply to Loyola early decision because my odds of getting in are shaky and it would help my chances. But I don't want to be left wondering, could I have gotten into UCLA or USC?

People with knowledge/experience on the matter, please tell me what would be best. And in case it matters (like if having applied previously helps my chances), I will apply to transfer to UCLA if I end up not going there.

im_blue

Re: Advice please on where to apply ED.....

Postby im_blue » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:54 am

Forget UCLA and USC, you have almost zero chances at Loyola LA (3.56/161 medians) and Pepperdine (3.62/163). Unless you retake, the only school you'll get into is Southwestern.

UCLAorbust

Postby UCLAorbust » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:26 am

Noted. Anyone else, thoughts? (and for the record, I will be retaking it. duh. I can do better.)

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:47 am

You generally have to be above at least one median to have a shot, even with ED. You should retake and take a year off, because by the time you get back your retake score it will be really late in the cycle and your chances will much worse than early in the cycle. Also regardless of your LSAT, UCLA does not really dip that low with GPA. Check out LSN, they didn't accept anyone that low last cycle. Your best bet would be USC with a good retake, I believe they dip lower with the GPA.

EDIT: USC isn't looking that good either between 3.0-3.4. I'm pretty sure CA schools really like GPA, which is why I never considered any, my GPA is around yours.

UCLAorbust

Postby UCLAorbust » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:10 am

yeah i figured ucla/usc were out......now, whether to do Loyola early decision.....kinda thinking so........

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:47 pm

UCLAorbust wrote:yeah i figured ucla/usc were out......now, whether to do Loyola early decision.....kinda thinking so........

They way I am looking at my apps is to apply to schools that you really like to go to and hold off on better schools for the re-take. If you retake and do well, you can withdraw your applications for "financial reasons" -- only partially a lie -- and then apply next cycle for schools that are out of your reach now but wont be with your new score. I would recommend next cycle still because you want everything in early.

UCLAorbust

Postby UCLAorbust » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:51 am

yeah i tried to submit my apps, but when my personal statement and resume were converted to pdf on the lsac site, the format became totally messed up and I have no clue how to fix it! does anyone know???? i need to submit it asap!!!!

Return to “Law School FAQ”