Why is it that UG institution is irrelevant?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bk1

Re: Why is it that UG institution is irrelevant?

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:21 pm

lolol10 wrote:ok thanks for proving my point.

The "edge" is so ridiculously tiny that it really does not warrant discussing.

lolol10

Postby lolol10 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:26 pm

bk1 wrote:

oh dont be so bitter! be happy you have decent scores from a public.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:26 pm

lolol10 wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Are you implying than an undergraduate education is worthless unless it carries a 200k+ debt?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:28 pm

lolol10 wrote:oh dont be so bitter! be happy you have decent scores from a public.

Who said anything about decent? :P

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:32 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Are you implying than an undergraduate education is worthless unless it carries a 200k+ debt?

Anyone who goes 200k in to debt for UG is an idiot.

lolol10

Postby lolol10 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:34 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
lolol10 wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Are you implying than an undergraduate education is worthless unless it carries a 200k+ debt?

are you a late comer in this discussion taking things out of context to incite reaction?

elementary my dear watson!!!!...this is EXACTLY what i am saying. expensive things/debt translates to supreme intelligence and esoteric privilege.

lolol10

Postby lolol10 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:35 pm

paratactical wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Are you implying than an undergraduate education is worthless unless it carries a 200k+ debt?

Anyone who goes 200k in to debt for UG is an idiot.

+1

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:35 pm

paratactical wrote:Anyone who goes 200k in to debt for UG is an idiot.

I don't know about you, but I'm expecting a high return on my BA with a quadruple major in Ethnic Studies, Womens Studies, English, and Underwater Basketweaving from a top 36 private liberal arts college.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:40 pm

bk1 wrote:
paratactical wrote:Anyone who goes 200k in to debt for UG is an idiot.

I don't know about you, but I'm expecting a high return on my BA with a quadruple major in Ethnic Studies, Womens Studies, English, and Underwater Basketweaving from a top 36 private liberal arts college.

Pff...don't even bother unless you go to a T29!!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:46 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:Pff...don't even bother unless you go to a T29!!

I would have but they only allow for triple majors.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:27 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Korey

Postby Korey » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:54 pm

Well. I guess now that I'm stuck in the situation I'm in, I must work that much harder to keep my GPA up here :) thanks for the comments all. I can see why the law schools do this, it just doenst seem fair. But, " lifes not fair."

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:20 pm

Korey wrote:Well. I guess now that I'm stuck in the situation I'm in, I must work that much harder to keep my GPA up here :) thanks for the comments all. I can see why the law schools do this, it just doenst seem fair. But, " lifes not fair."

Why isn't it fair? Should an undergraduate institution's worth in the law school admissions process be tied to its cost? That would just be rewarding poor decision-making.

Korey

Postby Korey » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:45 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Korey wrote:Well. I guess now that I'm stuck in the situation I'm in, I must work that much harder to keep my GPA up here :) thanks for the comments all. I can see why the law schools do this, it just doenst seem fair. But, " lifes not fair."

Why isn't it fair? Should an undergraduate institution's worth in the law school admissions process be tied to its cost? That would just be rewarding poor decision-making.

I'm not arguing that they should judge an applicant based off the cost of their UG. I'm saying it is unfair (IMO) that the UG prestige, and therefore in my opinion the workload and difficulty in many cases, is not considered to be that important. Like I said in my OP, if I had known of this prior to picking this UG, I might have chosen differently.

But, this is my own ignorance so it isn't the law schools admission process to blame, but instead myself.

Oban

Postby Oban » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:24 pm

I went to a top(but not HYP) private (for free,full tuition + R/B), and i did better at the admissions game then kids with the same stats from bumfuck state u. So i'd say that UG Prestige still means something in apps, as it does on attorney bios, etc. Law is all about prestige from start to finish, that said, someone from bumblefuck state with much better stats probably got into better schools than me.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:26 pm

Oban wrote:I went to a top(but not HYP) private (for free,full tuition + R/B), and i did better at the admissions game then kids with the same stats from bumfuck state u. So i'd say that UG Prestige still means something in apps, as it does on attorney bios, etc. Law is all about prestige from start to finish, that said, someone from bumblefuck state with much better stats probably got into better schools than me.

umm based on?

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:27 pm

Oban wrote:I went to a top(but not HYP) private (for free,full tuition + R/B), and i did better at the admissions game then kids with the same stats from bumfuck state u. So i'd say that UG Prestige still means something in apps, as it does on attorney bios, etc. Law is all about prestige from start to finish, that said, someone from bumblefuck state with much better stats probably got into better schools than me.

Seems like you haven't taken other factors, such as softs and essays, into account.

That being said, I agree that UG matters somewhat (moreso at the top law schools).

Oban

Postby Oban » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:35 pm

IAFG wrote:

umm based on?

As they got rejected/WL at schools i got into or schools i got into with money. I gathered this from browsing LSN, so it's hardly scientific, but compelling.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:50 pm

I think people are conflating "top undergrads" for admissions purposes (where they do have some pull) and "schools with loyal alumni networks" for job purposes (where, again, alumni of your same UG will give you a boost/benefit of the doubt in hiring).

Just like HYPS folks like their own, so do alumni of schools like Notre Dame, Texas, BYU, Smith, and USC (just to name a few). I didn't go to a "top" UG, but our alumni are extraordinarily loyal, and people discount how much that matters.

Mattering enough to pay a ton of money? Gosh no.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:19 am

r6_philly wrote:If you went to the same school for both UG and Law, you will be giving to the same school. There has to be some advantages in keeping alumni in house. But that doesn't necessarily translate to any meaningful relevance in admission I suppose.

In other words, I don't really have anything to offer on this topic :D

It looks good for the school if people want to stay there. I know about 10ish people who applied to my UG's law school, and I think only one got rejected. It's easy enough to say they understand the rigors of their own institution, but, I think they just like to say "People like it so much that they stay for another 3 years!"

As to alumni donations.... I'm only donating to the law school. I feel kind of let down by my UG experience and what the school did for me as compared to now.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:24 am

Cause.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:38 am

Oban wrote:
IAFG wrote:

umm based on?

As they got rejected/WL at schools i got into or schools i got into with money. I gathered this from browsing LSN, so it's hardly scientific, but compelling.

Eh, maybe. Without knowing the specifics, this seems like more of an argument for the importance of softs rather than the specific importance of UG. To really determine the weight that UG has on admission, we'd need to compare multiple applicants with extremely similar (if not identical) stats, softs (including minority status), and application timing.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:04 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:If you went to the same school for both UG and Law, you will be giving to the same school. There has to be some advantages in keeping alumni in house. But that doesn't necessarily translate to any meaningful relevance in admission I suppose.

In other words, I don't really have anything to offer on this topic :D

It looks good for the school if people want to stay there. I know about 10ish people who applied to my UG's law school, and I think only one got rejected. It's easy enough to say they understand the rigors of their own institution, but, I think they just like to say "People like it so much that they stay for another 3 years!"

As to alumni donations.... I'm only donating to the law school. I feel kind of let down by my UG experience and what the school did for me as compared to now.

I will be donating to multiple schools, UG, grad and law. Had wonderful experience with both UG and grad. I will definitely donate more to my UG because kids there need the most help (state, poor). I am thinking about establishing a scholarship for 2 kids as soon as I graduate from law school to fund their room/board. We have a lot of poor kids who have to take 2 hour bus rides to get to school everyday ... I rather my donation go to them than capital improvements.

My grad school is one of the richest universities, I think my dollars is less needed (and it cost very little to help someone at my UG by comparison)

nphsbuckeye

Postby nphsbuckeye » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:43 am

If I could go back in time, I'd change how I approach college, not the actual college itself (I also got accept to Xavier, and other than it being a private Catholic school, I can't imagine it'd be better than OSU). Plus, football and basketball seasons were always very fun.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:44 am

r6_philly wrote:
I will be donating to multiple schools, UG, grad and law. Had wonderful experience with both UG and grad. I will definitely donate more to my UG because kids there need the most help (state, poor). I am thinking about establishing a scholarship for 2 kids as soon as I graduate from law school to fund their room/board. We have a lot of poor kids who have to take 2 hour bus rides to get to school everyday ... I rather my donation go to them than capital improvements.

My grad school is one of the richest universities, I think my dollars is less needed (and it cost very little to help someone at my UG by comparison)

On 90k take home before loan payments?!

Return to “Law School FAQ”