Why is it that UG institution is irrelevant? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Unemployed

Silver

Re: Why is it that UG institution is irrelevant?

Post by Unemployed » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:26 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:My consolation prize: graduating debt free.
I got that prize, too. But I'm not in denial about a lot of people having gone to much better schools.
Nor am I. I didn't say my school was elite; just respectable. I see no need to bow down to the ivy-league grads wherever I go to law school.
Damn it! I was promised this would happen! I began to doubt it when the plebeians at UVA Law rejected my application. Now I've got TTT UG grads outgunning me, and worst of all, they all refuse to bow. All lies!

Seriously though, the impact of my UG during OCI was fairly minimal IME. Yes, there were a lot of alumni interviewers and it was nice to reminisce about stupid s*** instead of getting grilled on other, less fun stupid s*** - but I didn't outperform my numbers.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:28 pm

Unemployed wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
I got that prize, too. But I'm not in denial about a lot of people having gone to much better schools.
Nor am I. I didn't say my school was elite; just respectable. I see no need to bow down to the ivy-league grads wherever I go to law school.
Damn it! I was promised this would happen! I began to doubt it when the plebeians at UVA Law rejected my application. Now I've got TTT UG grads outgunning me, and worst of all, they all refuse to bow. All lies!

Seriously though, the impact of my UG during OCI was fairly minimal IME. Yes, there were a lot of alumni interviewers and it was nice to reminisce about stupid s*** instead of getting grilled on other, less fun stupid s*** - but I didn't outperform my numbers.
+1 for the lulz

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:29 pm

Mike12188 wrote:I doubt a recruiter is gonna be like nah fuck that top 1/4 kid from UMich, we got Mr. Kappus over here who is top 1/4 at William and Mary BUT he has a Sociology degree from Cornell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:35 pm

MrKappus wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:I doubt a recruiter is gonna be like nah fuck that top 1/4 kid from UMich, we got Mr. Kappus over here who is top 1/4 at William and Mary BUT he has a Sociology degree from Cornell
Ah, this brings me back to my LSAT prep days. You prob. wouldn't understand.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:41 pm

Unemployed wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Given how solid those were, overperforming them would have been a mite difficult, no?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:44 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
RVP11 wrote: I got that prize, too. But I'm not in denial about a lot of people having gone to much better schools.

Given how solid those were, overperforming them would have been a mite difficult, no?
I have my share of rejections...

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:03 am

Mike12188 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
Haha thank god you prepped for the LSAT, since <25%ile GPA's from "Research Universities" don't exactly drop the adcomms' panties.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:51 pm

MrKappus wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
Haha thank god you prepped for the LSAT, since <25%ile GPA's from "Research Universities" don't exactly drop the adcomms' panties.
Nor do <25%ile GPA's from liberal arts colleges. Or ivy league institutions. Or really any college for that matter. When you're within range, I'm sure a prestigious UG can be a good soft factor, but as we've rehashed 1,000+ times this thread, to law schools, a shit GPA is a shit GPA, regardless of where you went to school.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:01 pm

^ True true. Though I bet an engins major w/ a 3.2 would be impressive. That shit's hard.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:04 pm

MrKappus wrote:^ True true. Though I bet an engins major w/ a 3.2 would be impressive. That shit's hard.
It should--at most UGs, 3.2 in engineering seems approximate to a 3.7 in liberal arts [correct me if I'm wrong]--but with even the best-written, addendum, a 3.2 doesn't help boost a law school's USNWR rank... not without a high LSAT to offset it, anyway.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:51 am

HeavenWood wrote:
MrKappus wrote:^ True true. Though I bet an engins major w/ a 3.2 would be impressive. That shit's hard.
It should--at most UGs, 3.2 in engineering seems approximate to a 3.7 in liberal arts [correct me if I'm wrong]--but with even the best-written, addendum, a 3.2 doesn't help boost a law school's USNWR rank... not without a high LSAT to offset it, anyway.
I have a 3.7 computer engineering/math, do I get a boost to a 4.0? :D
All of my political science, history, English and other such classes were all 4.0s and 3.9s and only one 3.8. My science classes that I needed for comp. engineering ranged from 3.5-4.0 and my math classes went 3.2-4.0 (curves were absolutely brutal). Thankfully the non-science classes brought my GPA up, otherwise I'd be around a 3.5 if they based it solely for classes within my majors.

In all seriousness, UG prestige doesn't matter much but neither does what I majored in. I mean, those who went prestigious schools for undergrad already get a superior education and more connections. It would suck if they got an admissions boost on top of that.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:20 am

too bad they do get a boost from their UG, look at every 170-171 LSAT admit for harvard and columbia and they are from HYP

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:36 am

$1.99 wrote:too bad they do get a boost from their UG, look at every 170-171 LSAT admit for harvard and columbia and they are from HYP
Not true. Though most say Ivy, Top public, or T20.

Top public is pretty expansive.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”