Is JD-MBA really better?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
Kswizzie
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: Is JD-MBA really better?

Postby Kswizzie » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:20 pm

afa_brandon wrote:
Kswizzie wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:JD + MD? lololol


Dude, that's like... Judge Dread and Dr. Doolittle all in one!

Anybody who does not see the advantages in that deserves to...I don't even


Do you guys actually know anyone that's done this? I know someone who has believe me there are tangible benefits...


A prof from U Seattle Law spoke at my UG on bioethics. She had just gotten her MD, decided medicine wasn't for her, then went to law school.


Here is one more --LinkRemoved--. the jobs where both a JD and MBA are useful are few and far between but people that can handle that amount of school are also few and far between

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Is JD-MBA really better?

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:21 pm

curryinaninstant wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Noval wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
I can see the obvious benefits if your client were to have a heart attack after seeing your billable hours + rate.

Otherwise, in every instance I've known that a lawyer needs a medical opinion - a consultation of a specialized physician is warranted.

Can you think of a time you'd be BOTH an MD and a lawyer?

Although, here's a thought: Is the entry to the MD program more lax if you go for JD/MD? That could be a reason as an afterthought - think JD/MBA from Kellogg's.



Unless you want to be a Doctor, fuck the MD, the rotations will suck the life out of you and the USMLE will make you want
to blow your brain's out with a shotgun.


+Who the fuck would want to pay around 150k for each degree when the person taking it is only planning to practice one of the two trades.

If you can get into a T14, you CAN get into a no name Medical School quite easily.


Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but...

Can you point me to one of those no-name med schools? I'd prefer to go to med school and have numbers to get into T14... just havn't seen any.


St. Georges in Granada. Enjoy the lack of milk.


Got my hopes up. I thought you were talking about U.S. med schools.

afa_brandon
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:45 pm

Re: Is JD-MBA really better?

Postby afa_brandon » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:29 pm

it is a us med school. i know some folks who are students there--they do clinicals, or whatever they're called, in NYC. at least, that's what they told me. didn't seem like the most academically rigorous place though.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Is JD-MBA really better?

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:36 pm

afa_brandon wrote:it is a us med school. i know some folks who are students there--they do clinicals, or whatever they're called, in NYC. at least, that's what they told me. didn't seem like the most academically rigorous place though.


It's a Caribbean school that places well in the U.S. and has a ton of U.S. students.

Who cares if it's not rigorous? The residency you get will be and is what counts IIRC. It's a "plausible" way to break into medicine with a bad academic career if you want to do something like internal medicine or primary care since both are in demand like crazy.

If I can't get into a high T14, I'll definitely look into St. George. Looks like they're accredited in all, if not most, 50 states. Though, studentdoc may be a better place to look.

afa_brandon
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:45 pm

Re: Is JD-MBA really better?

Postby afa_brandon » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:58 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
afa_brandon wrote:it is a us med school. i know some folks who are students there--they do clinicals, or whatever they're called, in NYC. at least, that's what they told me. didn't seem like the most academically rigorous place though.


It's a Caribbean school that places well in the U.S. and has a ton of U.S. students.

Who cares if it's not rigorous? The residency you get will be and is what counts IIRC. It's a "plausible" way to break into medicine with a bad academic career if you want to do something like internal medicine or primary care since both are in demand like crazy.

If I can't get into a high T14, I'll definitely look into St. George. Looks like they're accredited in all, if not most, 50 states. Though, studentdoc may be a better place to look.


I don't know who cares if it's not rigorous, I was just adding my two cents. Some people are concerned with that sort of thing. Anyway, I'd be glad to put you in touch with the students I know there if you become seriously interested in the future. Just PM me.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Is JD-MBA really better?

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:01 pm

afa_brandon wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
afa_brandon wrote:it is a us med school. i know some folks who are students there--they do clinicals, or whatever they're called, in NYC. at least, that's what they told me. didn't seem like the most academically rigorous place though.


It's a Caribbean school that places well in the U.S. and has a ton of U.S. students.

Who cares if it's not rigorous? The residency you get will be and is what counts IIRC. It's a "plausible" way to break into medicine with a bad academic career if you want to do something like internal medicine or primary care since both are in demand like crazy.

If I can't get into a high T14, I'll definitely look into St. George. Looks like they're accredited in all, if not most, 50 states. Though, studentdoc may be a better place to look.


I don't know who cares if it's not rigorous, I was just adding my two cents. Some people are concerned with that sort of thing. Anyway, I'd be glad to put you in touch with the students I know there if you become seriously interested in the future. Just PM me.


Thanks for the offer and I'll definitely take you up on it if "the law" doesn't work to my exacting expectations.

You have a point that some people care over the rigorous nature of the school, but I would imagine that you have to set yourself up for certain expectations.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Is JD-MBA really better?

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:13 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but...

Can you point me to one of those no-name med schools? I'd prefer to go to med school and have numbers to get into T14... just havn't seen any.

I don't know if you're seriously interested in this, but if you are, I can offer some info. I taught MCAT for like five or six years. I was also a pre-med UG, and I am considering medical school after law school. In case anyone is wondering why I would do such a thing: I am very interested in medical ethics and bioethics. I am getting my JD for free, and I think I can swindle a med school out of a free MD too. It's not what many people would do, and I may choose not to do it myself, but it's an idea bouncing around in my head.

There are US medical schools with somewhat lax admissions standards in terms of numbers. However, you can't really backdoor your way into medical school like you can with law school. A high GPA and MCAT score won't be enough. You also need some significant clinical experience or shadow time with a doctor. And you need to have some interview skills.

What part of the country would you like to go to med school? What are your numbers? GPA? If you haven't taken the MCAT, what's your LSAT? Do you have all the pre-reqs for med school? Med schools are completely inflexible about the pre-reqs.

http://www.washington.edu/uaa/gateway/a ... pamcat.pdf

That link has all the average MCAT scores and GPAs for medical school admission in 2009. I live in Texas, so I glanced at those. UT San Antonio has 3.58/30. That's not too tough.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/ is the best source of information for med school admissions. It's the TLS of the healthcare world.

Here's a numbers predictor: http://www.studentdoc.com/medfind.html
Last edited by JazzOne on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Is JD-MBA really better?

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:24 pm

Caribbean med schools are pretty shoddy.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: shannonmk and 1 guest