Tired Entrepreneur Thinking About Law School Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
whywhy

New

Tired Entrepreneur Thinking About Law School

Post by whywhy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Hi All -

Hopefully I'll be more than a one time poster, and become an asset to your community but hey I can not guarantee it so take your chances or shots as they may be.

Here is my situation, I'm, gulp, middle aged, have a useless college degree from the California UC system thats twenty years old, and thinking it is time to reinvent myself. Over the years I have built, operated, sold, consulted for, or failed out of a great number different startup companies, I've done well six figure incomes for lots of years. I have tired of having to think up the next big thing and was looking at maybe throwing my hat in the legal ring or at least as a consultant with legal training and a law license.

I have spent quite a few years paying attorneys, have had multiple on staff at times, been through enough legal proceedings to know I do not want to be in a courtroom, I have no interest in the Biglaw route, I am looking to be more of an advisor or point of representation for interesting people and businesses and thinking that a JD may be a better route than an MBA.

Of course there will be bias here as this is a law focused community, but what I am wondering is what some of the folks here think about this route and of course the JD vs the MBA, the old man going to law school, Are you a mid life crisis law student, etc ... I am well aware that TV lawyer show lifestyles are not what you end up with when going this route.

I am not trying to start a flamewar or otherwise just tiring to crowd-source a collective pool of people actively involved in legal fields and those working their way through it.

Thanks for the time and thoughts,

whywhy

dood

Gold

Re: Tired Entrepreneur Thinking About Law School

Post by dood » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:06 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:18 pm

JD would make a lot of sense imo if you were still operating a start up or if you had more ideas floating around and you wanted to serve as your own in house counsel and branch out from there. However, you are going to have to find a job and right now that isn't easy.

JD/MBA actually does seem like a good fit, but if you are choosing between the two I imagine an MBA is a better option.

whywhy

New

Post by whywhy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:36 pm

Thanks for the early opinions, I had somewhat looked at the dual advanced degrees but people seem down on them, so this is why I am here asking those that have made similar decisions.

Thx

whywhy

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:40 pm

Have you thought about doing law school part time?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:49 pm

What are you tired of? It seems like you have hit a dead end with your entrepreneurial ventures and are looking to do something different, so why law? Because it tends to pay well is not a great reason in your case.

Few people are going to want to hire an ex-entrepreneur turned lawyer to consult for them on legal matters. As in all consulting you need to build a reputation for yourself, and in law that generally includes going into some kind of practice for a period of time.

If you just want to do business consulting, you are much better off getting an MBA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”