Most Diverse Law Schools

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:25 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:Why do people think it's acceptable to talk to people like this when it's online?

To be honest, this is what I thought when I saw you say this:

s0ph1e2007 wrote:hmm that's not as helpful when they count asian.


I'm sorry. Like I explained, I didn't intend to suggest being asian wasn't an aspect of diversity. I was simply under the incorrect impression that when a school reported percentage of minority students they were only reporting URMs. I see why that would be false.


I care for the very reason that schools provide minority percentages. I would prefer, ideally, to go to a school where I'm not the only person of my ethnicity in the class.
In some t-14 schools, I would be one of many. In some t-14s I would be one of two at the most.

I was simply looking for some help finding a school where I wouldn't need to feel out of place. Apparently any question on TLS is only an opportunity to insult others though; so, forget about the question. I hope you all are not this combative in real life.
And, although I doubt it, if something was inferred from my original message that someone genuinely felt hurt by, I apologize for that. I should have been more clear.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:30 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Why do people think it's acceptable to talk to people like this when it's online?

I never intended to imply that being asian is not an aspect of diversity, but asians are not traditionally counted in measuring percentage of minority students, correct?

For instance, Yale's 26% minority students doesn't include asians, correct?
I was simply interested in whether someone had possibly taken the time to list the t-14 in order of percentage of minority students as reported by that school.

To suggest that I meant otherwise is to look for a fight, to create a situation of diametrically opposed positions where none exists. That, I would say, is both uncalled for and unintelligent.


People say a lot of things when there's no risk of getting their ass kicked! :lol:

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:31 pm

Ragged wrote:
rad law wrote:
Ragged wrote:Does it really count as the most diverse when a 100% of student body is AA? That's uniform to the opposite extreme. Diverse school should have many different demographics all significantly but not overwhelmingly represented.


Did you read the study? It's like 60% not AA.


I just went off of my UG experience. Really surprised to learn its not all AA in law school there.


I was too. But then again there are tons of people in FL of all races willing to go to any TTT shithole, and FAMU is one of the worst, what with the grading scandal and that fen-phen thing.

AppsAbound
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby AppsAbound » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:46 pm

.
Last edited by AppsAbound on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby 005618502 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:05 am

AppsAbound wrote:
jt1341
Post subject: Re: Most Diverse Law SchoolsPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:25 pm



This made me LOL

poor thing got upset

Second who cares about diversity statistics????? The color of your skin shouldnt matter, unless of course you are racist? What should matter is what the students who are at the school have accomplished or overcome. not how many people of color there are.


This is a nice sweeping statement. It can make perfect sense for someone to want diversity in different forms, including race. I would not be comfortable in an environment that lacked racial diversity, nor would I want to be, if only for the sake of my education. And it certainly is not fair to label someone a racist for taking race/ethnicity into consideration. Race matters before law school, it will matter when you get there, and it certainly matters afterwards. Looking for percentages might be simplistic, but it serves its purpose.


Yes it helps you get into law schools and it will definitely help you get a job afterwards as well. Both of those things are 100% for sure, has race held the individual back in any way? this is something that may have happened, and may not.

User avatar
JG Hall
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby JG Hall » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:06 am

actually, I would think one would want to go to a T-14 where they are only 1 of 2 _____ (insert visually-identifiable URM here), because it would guarantee you a job.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby 005618502 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:08 am

JG Hall wrote:actually, I would think one would want to go to a T-14 where they are only 1 of 2 _____ (insert visually-identifiable URM here), because it would guarantee you a job.


exactly. And there is not a single school with 1-2 URM's. PLEASE tell me if im wrong but you had better have some proof

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:15 am

jt1341 wrote:
JG Hall wrote:actually, I would think one would want to go to a T-14 where they are only 1 of 2 _____ (insert visually-identifiable URM here), because it would guarantee you a job.


exactly. And there is not a single school with 1-2 URM's. PLEASE tell me if im wrong but you had better have some proof


someone on this thread reported that Yale had .2% NA students. This can't be quite correct, because it would amount to less than one student, but even 1% is only 2.

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:15 am

now let thread die

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby r6_philly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:28 am

vanwinkle wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:Why do people think it's acceptable to talk to people like this when it's online?

To be honest, this is what I thought when I saw you say this:

s0ph1e2007 wrote:hmm that's not as helpful when they count asian.


Haha well put.

The elementary school a block from my house is 99% black. By her definition it would be the most diverse school in the world.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby r6_philly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:32 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:someone on this thread reported that Yale had .2% NA students. This can't be quite correct, because it would amount to less than one student, but even 1% is only 2.


2/588 = 0.3%

Sorry, thread dies when no one wants to reply to it.

User avatar
JG Hall
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby JG Hall » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:37 am

jt1341 wrote:
JG Hall wrote:actually, I would think one would want to go to a T-14 where they are only 1 of 2 _____ (insert visually-identifiable URM here), because it would guarantee you a job.


exactly. And there is not a single school with 1-2 URM's. PLEASE tell me if im wrong but you had better have some proof

i would fucking murder someone to go to a T-14 school with only 1 other asian, just fyi. the chances of the entire planet becoming asian are higher.
Last edited by JG Hall on Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:38 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:now let thread die


Now that you said it, the thread will have to live on forever.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby r6_philly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:49 am

JG Hall wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
JG Hall wrote:actually, I would think one would want to go to a T-14 where they are only 1 of 2 _____ (insert visually-identifiable URM here), because it would guarantee you a job.


exactly. And there is not a single school with 1-2 URM's. PLEASE tell me if im wrong but you had better have some proof

i would fucking murder someone to go to a T-14 school with only 1 other asian, just fyi. the chances of the entire planet becoming asian are higher.


Make sure you murder the one other Asian.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby 005618502 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
JG Hall wrote:actually, I would think one would want to go to a T-14 where they are only 1 of 2 _____ (insert visually-identifiable URM here), because it would guarantee you a job.


exactly. And there is not a single school with 1-2 URM's. PLEASE tell me if im wrong but you had better have some proof


someone on this thread reported that Yale had .2% NA students. This can't be quite correct, because it would amount to less than one student, but even 1% is only 2.


except NA are not the only URM's

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:15 am

jt1341 wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
JG Hall wrote:actually, I would think one would want to go to a T-14 where they are only 1 of 2 _____ (insert visually-identifiable URM here), because it would guarantee you a job.


exactly. And there is not a single school with 1-2 URM's. PLEASE tell me if im wrong but you had better have some proof


someone on this thread reported that Yale had .2% NA students. This can't be quite correct, because it would amount to less than one student, but even 1% is only 2.


except NA are not the only URM's


oh, really? shocking! I thought that they were... ???






All I wanted to know was each t-14s percentage of NDN students!

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby im_blue » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:25 am

You can get the NDN % from official ABA data:

Stanford 12 / 557 = 2.2%
Berkeley 15 / 892 = 1.7%
Michigan 17 / 1117 = 1.5%
UVA 16 / 1122 = 1.4%
Cornell 8 / 622 = 1.3%
NU 8 / 814 = 1.0%
Harvard 11 / 1765 = 0.6%
GULC 6 / 1982 = 0.3%
Chicago 2 / 590 = 0.3%
Penn 2 / 791 = 0.3%
NYU 3 / 1427 = 0.2%
Columbia 2 / 1310 = 0.2%
Yale 1 / 613 = 0.2%
Duke 1 / 661 = 0.2%
Overall T14 104 / 14263 = 0.73%

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby Grizz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:36 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:now let thread die


When you make dumb comments, the internet never forgets.

User avatar
dcman06
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:08 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby dcman06 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:51 am

BruceWayne wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:Why do people think it's acceptable to talk to people like this when it's online?

I never intended to imply that being asian is not an aspect of diversity, but asians are not traditionally counted in measuring percentage of minority students, correct?

For instance, Yale's 26% minority students doesn't include asians, correct?
I was simply interested in whether someone had possibly taken the time to list the t-14 in order of percentage of minority students as reported by that school.

To suggest that I meant otherwise is to look for a fight, to create a situation of diametrically opposed positions where none exists. That, I would say, is both uncalled for and unintelligent.


People say a lot of things when there's no risk of getting their ass kicked! :lol:


http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/S ... BA3987.pdf

Asian Americans count as minorities in and of itself. Obviously for admission among Asians, the "usual suspects" like Koreans, Chinese and Indian Americans will have it just as tough if not tougher than Whites in many schools' admissions, though some of the other groups should fare better in terms of Aff. Action. I think many of the "diversity" rankings are based off of how many non Hispanic-whites there are, but US News says that these rankings also consider the "mix of the racial and ethnic groups on campus".

http://www.usnews.com/articles/educatio ... ology.html

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:06 pm

rad law wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:now let thread die


When you make dumb comments, the internet never forgets.


This is true.

Connelly
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:10 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby Connelly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:54 pm

Just base your decision off of the admissions brochures. They always give a very accurate portrayal of the student body's diversity. hth

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby 005618502 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:41 pm

Connelly wrote:Just base your decision off of the admissions brochures. They always give a very accurate portrayal of the student body's diversity. hth


+1 :p




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest