Most Diverse Law Schools Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
s0ph1e2007

Silver

Most Diverse Law Schools

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:10 pm

Does anyone have a ranking of the most diverse law schools?

im_blue

Gold

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Post by im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:35 pm

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:42 pm

Thanks,
hmm that's not as helpful when they count asian. I wonder that they didn't note how clearly it skewed the result...
but then again, its US News, so they probably enjoyed the consistency, as all their rankings are skewed.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Law schools count Asians when it suits them (to appear to have more diversity or "students of color" than they actually do) and don't count them when it comes to admissions.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:33 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote: Thanks,
hmm that's not as helpful when they count asian. I wonder that they didn't note how clearly it skewed the result...
but then again, its US News, so they probably enjoyed the consistency, as all their rankings are skewed.
Why is it not helpful to count Asian? Or are you just looking for the law school with the highest percentage of URM's and not actually one that is the most diverse?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:06 pm

bk187 wrote:
Why is it not helpful to count Asian? Or are you just looking for the law school with the highest percentage of URM's and not actually one that is the most diverse?
This. I would also be skeptical of diversity rankings in the first place. Diversity involves much more than race, ethnicity, and skin color.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:00 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
Thanks,
You seem like an idiot. I reiterate bk187s question.
bk187 wrote: Why is it not helpful to count Asian? Or are you just looking for the law school with the highest percentage of URM's and not actually one that is the most diverse?

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 pm

bk187 wrote:
Well put

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
bk187 wrote:
This. I would also be skeptical of diversity rankings in the first place. Diversity involves much more than race, ethnicity, and skin color.
Agreed- I'd love to know which law schools are ACTUALLY diverse, but I'm not sure how one quantifies that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:15 pm

arism87 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Agreed- I'd love to know which law schools are ACTUALLY diverse, but I'm not sure how one quantifies that.
It's tough to quantify political opinions, professional goals, unique personal experiences, and the like which contribute to a truly diverse law class. Florida A&M may top USNWR's diversity index, but I would wager top dollar that most of the T14 are more diverse in an overall sense.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:15 pm

(accidentally double-posted)

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:18 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
arism87 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
bk187 wrote:
It's tough to quantify political opinions, professional goals, unique personal experiences, and the like which contribute to a truly diverse law class. Florida A&M may top USNWR's diversity index, but I would wager top dollar that most of the T14 are more diverse in an overall sense.
Does it really count as the most diverse when a 100% of student body is AA? That's uniform to the opposite extreme. Diverse school should have many different demographics all significantly but not overwhelmingly represented.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:20 pm

Ragged wrote: Does it really count as the most diverse when a 100% of student body is AA? That's uniform to the opposite extreme. Diverse school should have many different demographics all significantly but not overwhelmingly represented.
Did you read the study? It's like 60% not AA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:22 pm

Real question:

Does anyone having a ranking of the most rad law schools?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:26 pm

bk187 wrote:Real question:

Does anyone having a ranking of the most rad law schools?
Hmm I'd say Vandy, UVA, Bama, UGA are all pretty up there. More research needs to be done on this important topic. Inquiring bros want to know.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:28 pm

rad law wrote:Hmm I'd say Vandy, UVA, Bama, UGA are all pretty up there. More research needs to be done on this important topic. Inquiring bros want to know.
Seems like a strong correlation between Southernness and radness. Any thoughts as to why this is?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:31 pm

bk187 wrote:
rad law wrote:Hmm I'd say Vandy, UVA, Bama, UGA are all pretty up there. More research needs to be done on this important topic. Inquiring bros want to know.
Seems like a strong correlation between Southernness and radness. Any thoughts as to why this is?
Basically my own limited experience. I'd have to defer to SBL for the West Coast perspective.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:14 pm

rad law wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:
Thanks,
You seem like an idiot. I reiterate bk187s question.
bk187 wrote: Why is it not helpful to count Asian? Or are you just looking for the law school with the highest percentage of URM's and not actually one that is the most diverse?
Why do people think it's acceptable to talk to people like this when it's online?

I never intended to imply that being asian is not an aspect of diversity, but asians are not traditionally counted in measuring percentage of minority students, correct?

For instance, Yale's 26% minority students doesn't include asians, correct?
I was simply interested in whether someone had possibly taken the time to list the t-14 in order of percentage of minority students as reported by that school.

To suggest that I meant otherwise is to look for a fight, to create a situation of diametrically opposed positions where none exists. That, I would say, is both uncalled for and unintelligent.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:21 pm

Of course Asians are traditionally considered minority students. To think otherwise is stupid. Now you know why 3 out of every 4 Yalies are white.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:25 pm

Why do people think it's acceptable to talk to people like this when it's online?

I never intended to imply that being asian is not an aspect of diversity, but asians are not traditionally counted in measuring percentage of minority students, correct?

I was simply interested in whether someone had possibly taken the time to list the t-14 in order of percentage of minority students as reported by that school.

To suggest that I meant otherwise is to look for a fight, to create a situation of diametrically opposed positions where none exists. That, I would say, is both uncalled for and unintelligent.
This made me LOL

poor thing got upset

Second who cares about diversity statistics????? The color of your skin shouldnt matter, unless of course you are racist? What should matter is what the students who are at the school have accomplished or overcome. not how many people of color there are.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:25 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:I never intended to imply that being asian is not an aspect of diversity, but asians are not traditionally counted in measuring percentage of minority students, correct?

As I mentioned above, schools include Asians in the minority numbers when it suits them to appear more racially diverse, such as Yale's 26% figure (7.5% AA, 0.2% NA, 8.3% Hispanic, 11.6% Asian). However, Asians are not under-represented minorities (URMs), so they don't receive any admissions boost.
Last edited by im_blue on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote: I never intended to imply that being asian is not an aspect of diversity, but asians are not traditionally counted in measuring percentage of minority students, correct?
It is possible to both be a minority and overrepresented (as is the case with Asians, Indians, Middle Easterners, Jews, etc).

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:53 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote: Why do people think it's acceptable to talk to people like this when it's online?
I'd have said that in person, too.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:02 pm

rad law wrote:
Ragged wrote: Does it really count as the most diverse when a 100% of student body is AA? That's uniform to the opposite extreme. Diverse school should have many different demographics all significantly but not overwhelmingly represented.
Did you read the study? It's like 60% not AA.
I just went off of my UG experience. Really surprised to learn its not all AA in law school there.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:03 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Why do people think it's acceptable to talk to people like this when it's online?
To be honest, this is what I thought when I saw you say this:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:hmm that's not as helpful when they count asian.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”