Most Diverse Law Schools

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:10 pm

Does anyone have a ranking of the most diverse law schools?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:35 pm


User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:42 pm

im_blue wrote:http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-school-diversity


Thanks,
hmm that's not as helpful when they count asian. I wonder that they didn't note how clearly it skewed the result...
but then again, its US News, so they probably enjoyed the consistency, as all their rankings are skewed.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Law schools count Asians when it suits them (to appear to have more diversity or "students of color" than they actually do) and don't count them when it comes to admissions.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:33 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Thanks,
hmm that's not as helpful when they count asian. I wonder that they didn't note how clearly it skewed the result...
but then again, its US News, so they probably enjoyed the consistency, as all their rankings are skewed.


Why is it not helpful to count Asian? Or are you just looking for the law school with the highest percentage of URM's and not actually one that is the most diverse?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:06 pm

bk1 wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:Thanks,
hmm that's not as helpful when they count asian. I wonder that they didn't note how clearly it skewed the result...
but then again, its US News, so they probably enjoyed the consistency, as all their rankings are skewed.


Why is it not helpful to count Asian? Or are you just looking for the law school with the highest percentage of URM's and not actually one that is the most diverse?


This. I would also be skeptical of diversity rankings in the first place. Diversity involves much more than race, ethnicity, and skin color.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:00 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
im_blue wrote:http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-school-diversity


Thanks,
hmm that's not as helpful when they count asian. I wonder that they didn't note how clearly it skewed the result...
but then again, its US News, so they probably enjoyed the consistency, as all their rankings are skewed.


You seem like an idiot. I reiterate bk187s question.

bk1 wrote:Why is it not helpful to count Asian? Or are you just looking for the law school with the highest percentage of URM's and not actually one that is the most diverse?

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 pm

bk1 wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:Thanks,
hmm that's not as helpful when they count asian. I wonder that they didn't note how clearly it skewed the result...
but then again, its US News, so they probably enjoyed the consistency, as all their rankings are skewed.


Why is it not helpful to count Asian? Or are you just looking for the law school with the highest percentage of URM's and not actually one that is the most diverse?


Well put

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby arism87 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
bk1 wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:Thanks,
hmm that's not as helpful when they count asian. I wonder that they didn't note how clearly it skewed the result...
but then again, its US News, so they probably enjoyed the consistency, as all their rankings are skewed.


Why is it not helpful to count Asian? Or are you just looking for the law school with the highest percentage of URM's and not actually one that is the most diverse?


This. I would also be skeptical of diversity rankings in the first place. Diversity involves much more than race, ethnicity, and skin color.


Agreed- I'd love to know which law schools are ACTUALLY diverse, but I'm not sure how one quantifies that.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:15 pm

arism87 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
bk1 wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:Thanks,
hmm that's not as helpful when they count asian. I wonder that they didn't note how clearly it skewed the result...
but then again, its US News, so they probably enjoyed the consistency, as all their rankings are skewed.


Why is it not helpful to count Asian? Or are you just looking for the law school with the highest percentage of URM's and not actually one that is the most diverse?


This. I would also be skeptical of diversity rankings in the first place. Diversity involves much more than race, ethnicity, and skin color.


Agreed- I'd love to know which law schools are ACTUALLY diverse, but I'm not sure how one quantifies that.

It's tough to quantify political opinions, professional goals, unique personal experiences, and the like which contribute to a truly diverse law class. Florida A&M may top USNWR's diversity index, but I would wager top dollar that most of the T14 are more diverse in an overall sense.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:15 pm

(accidentally double-posted)

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby Ragged » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:18 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
arism87 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Why is it not helpful to count Asian? Or are you just looking for the law school with the highest percentage of URM's and not actually one that is the most diverse?


This. I would also be skeptical of diversity rankings in the first place. Diversity involves much more than race, ethnicity, and skin color.


Agreed- I'd love to know which law schools are ACTUALLY diverse, but I'm not sure how one quantifies that.

It's tough to quantify political opinions, professional goals, unique personal experiences, and the like which contribute to a truly diverse law class. Florida A&M may top USNWR's diversity index, but I would wager top dollar that most of the T14 are more diverse in an overall sense.


Does it really count as the most diverse when a 100% of student body is AA? That's uniform to the opposite extreme. Diverse school should have many different demographics all significantly but not overwhelmingly represented.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:20 pm

Ragged wrote:Does it really count as the most diverse when a 100% of student body is AA? That's uniform to the opposite extreme. Diverse school should have many different demographics all significantly but not overwhelmingly represented.


Did you read the study? It's like 60% not AA.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:22 pm

Real question:

Does anyone having a ranking of the most rad law schools?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:26 pm

bk1 wrote:Real question:

Does anyone having a ranking of the most rad law schools?


Hmm I'd say Vandy, UVA, Bama, UGA are all pretty up there. More research needs to be done on this important topic. Inquiring bros want to know.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:28 pm

rad law wrote:Hmm I'd say Vandy, UVA, Bama, UGA are all pretty up there. More research needs to be done on this important topic. Inquiring bros want to know.


Seems like a strong correlation between Southernness and radness. Any thoughts as to why this is?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:31 pm

bk1 wrote:
rad law wrote:Hmm I'd say Vandy, UVA, Bama, UGA are all pretty up there. More research needs to be done on this important topic. Inquiring bros want to know.


Seems like a strong correlation between Southernness and radness. Any thoughts as to why this is?


Basically my own limited experience. I'd have to defer to SBL for the West Coast perspective.

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:14 pm

rad law wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:
im_blue wrote:http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-school-diversity


Thanks,
hmm that's not as helpful when they count asian. I wonder that they didn't note how clearly it skewed the result...
but then again, its US News, so they probably enjoyed the consistency, as all their rankings are skewed.


You seem like an idiot. I reiterate bk187s question.

bk1 wrote:Why is it not helpful to count Asian? Or are you just looking for the law school with the highest percentage of URM's and not actually one that is the most diverse?


Why do people think it's acceptable to talk to people like this when it's online?

I never intended to imply that being asian is not an aspect of diversity, but asians are not traditionally counted in measuring percentage of minority students, correct?

For instance, Yale's 26% minority students doesn't include asians, correct?
I was simply interested in whether someone had possibly taken the time to list the t-14 in order of percentage of minority students as reported by that school.

To suggest that I meant otherwise is to look for a fight, to create a situation of diametrically opposed positions where none exists. That, I would say, is both uncalled for and unintelligent.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:21 pm

Of course Asians are traditionally considered minority students. To think otherwise is stupid. Now you know why 3 out of every 4 Yalies are white.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby 005618502 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:25 pm

Why do people think it's acceptable to talk to people like this when it's online?

I never intended to imply that being asian is not an aspect of diversity, but asians are not traditionally counted in measuring percentage of minority students, correct?

For instance, Yale's 26% minority students doesn't include asians, correct?
I was simply interested in whether someone had possibly taken the time to list the t-14 in order of percentage of minority students as reported by that school.

To suggest that I meant otherwise is to look for a fight, to create a situation of diametrically opposed positions where none exists. That, I would say, is both uncalled for and unintelligent.


This made me LOL

poor thing got upset

Second who cares about diversity statistics????? The color of your skin shouldnt matter, unless of course you are racist? What should matter is what the students who are at the school have accomplished or overcome. not how many people of color there are.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:25 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:I never intended to imply that being asian is not an aspect of diversity, but asians are not traditionally counted in measuring percentage of minority students, correct?

For instance, Yale's 26% minority students doesn't include asians, correct?
I was simply interested in whether someone had possibly taken the time to list the t-14 in order of percentage of minority students as reported by that school.

As I mentioned above, schools include Asians in the minority numbers when it suits them to appear more racially diverse, such as Yale's 26% figure (7.5% AA, 0.2% NA, 8.3% Hispanic, 11.6% Asian). However, Asians are not under-represented minorities (URMs), so they don't receive any admissions boost.
Last edited by im_blue on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:I never intended to imply that being asian is not an aspect of diversity, but asians are not traditionally counted in measuring percentage of minority students, correct?


It is possible to both be a minority and overrepresented (as is the case with Asians, Indians, Middle Easterners, Jews, etc).

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:53 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Why do people think it's acceptable to talk to people like this when it's online?


I'd have said that in person, too.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby Ragged » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:02 pm

rad law wrote:
Ragged wrote:Does it really count as the most diverse when a 100% of student body is AA? That's uniform to the opposite extreme. Diverse school should have many different demographics all significantly but not overwhelmingly represented.


Did you read the study? It's like 60% not AA.


I just went off of my UG experience. Really surprised to learn its not all AA in law school there.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Most Diverse Law Schools

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:03 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Why do people think it's acceptable to talk to people like this when it's online?

To be honest, this is what I thought when I saw you say this:

s0ph1e2007 wrote:hmm that's not as helpful when they count asian.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest