delete Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
seekay22

New

delete

Post by seekay22 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:00 am

delete
Last edited by seekay22 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

bex

New

Re: Quit paralegal job?

Post by bex » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:07 am

If you really can't stick it out, then quit.

However, what will you do until next September, when you're ready to start school? It's probably hard to find another job right now, and you shouldn't sit around for the next 10 months. I would try to hang in there until the summer, or at least the spring -- you'll have better relationships with the attorneys you work with and with the firm in general, in case you would like to work there later on or for a reference. Learn as much as you can and try to stay for a while longer! Good luck on the LSAT/applications and the whole job situation.

seekay22

New

delete

Post by seekay22 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:15 am

delete
Last edited by seekay22 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:16 am

They won't really care. The LSAT is very important and if your job is actually hurting your performance either buck up or drop the job. Remember you'll need to support yourself from January to next August.

seekay22

New

delete

Post by seekay22 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:25 am

delete
Last edited by seekay22 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:52 am

seekay22 wrote:I'm not worried about finding a job starting in January (I have some things lined up). I'm mainly concerned about what, if any, impact my quitting this job will have on the law school admission process. I've been sticking it out, and have learned anything I possibly could. This one woman has a vendetta against me. I have good relationships with the attorneys but the manager has more influence on me on a day-to-day basis.
Anything that you could bump up?

I agree with bk that your LSAT will carry far more weight than your job (or lack thereof), but ideally you'll want a high LSAT with no break in employment. Food banks and such have increased activity during the holidays; you might look into participating in part-time seasonal community service between your current job and your next job in January.

Overall, it doesn't sound like you'll be risking much by quitting. The key is to remain on good terms with the attorneys and if/when you do leave, to do so gracefully and properly, giving full notice, etc.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:26 pm

Why don't you talk to her...

If you have reached the point of being ready to quit, ask to schedule a meeting with her and say that you believe she treats you unnecessarily harshly and you don't appreciate it. If she changes, you are set. If not, you were gonna quit anyways.

Won't effect your app regardless.

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:35 pm

quit and enjoy the next few months. schools don't care, firms don't care. there are actually quite a few people in my class who took what basically amounts to 6 months to a year off to study for the lsat (quit jobs, couldn't find new ones). seriously, if your parents are going to take care of your finances, take the time to fully appreciate a gym membership and premium cable channels and relax. it's only downhill from here.

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:42 pm

JG Hall wrote:quit and enjoy the next few months. schools don't care, firms don't care. there are actually quite a few people in my class who took what basically amounts to 6 months to a year off to study for the lsat (quit jobs, couldn't find new ones). seriously, if your parents are going to take care of your finances, take the time to fully appreciate a gym membership and premium cable channels and relax. it's only downhill from here.
this. even if you can't find anything in january, it wont matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”