Low GPA. High LSAT Score. Where can I expect to get in?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Jack Smirks

Re: Low GPA. High LSAT Score. Where can I expect to get in?

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:50 pm

blurbz wrote:I don't generally get annoyed and I REALLY don't generally post when I am, but this kind of thread always strikes me as kind of ridiculous.

Why are you mad? YOU failed/got a D/didn't do well in a class and now you have to face the consequences of it. Oh, but you did better the second time? Of course you did! That's the point: You've seen the material once (even if you, for whatever reason, didn't pay much attention to it...), you really ought to do better the second time.

I'm sure lots of you will say that you had "good reasons" or "extenuating circumstances" for failing a class. There are plenty of people out there who had "good reasons" too and still managed decent grades. Just write an addendum, own the GPA you EARNED, and move on.

There is nothing unfair about the way LSAC calculates GPA.

Edit: OP this rant is not directed at you. Your LSAT (if you score in that range) will still get you into a lot of very good schools, likely with a lot of money. Good luck!

Thanks for that, TLS will be sure to file your opinion in the nobody gives a fuck drawer.

ak13

Postby ak13 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:58 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
ak13 wrote:I unfortunately have to admit that I'm in the same boat, low GPA, (should be) high LSAT. I'm wondering how big of a role do softies play? Or things such as undergrad major and experience...say, for example, mechanical engineering (something I know is not as popular among law students)? Do top schools like that?

sometimes. but not even close to as much as they like a high GPA. sorry, man. nice 'tar though.

....so you're saying there's a chance.... but rats, not enough. I will have an absolutely dynamite PS and solid LORs on top of positive applications, I'm confident for decent results. I feel like I'd be happy with a patent focus from Illinois, Indiana or even Connecticut. why not shoot for the moon though.

and thanks, nothing but the best

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:02 am

naterj wrote:
blurbz wrote:I don't generally get annoyed and I REALLY don't generally post when I am, but this kind of thread always strikes me as kind of ridiculous.

Why are you mad? YOU failed/got a D/didn't do well in a class and now you have to face the consequences of it. Oh, but you did better the second time? Of course you did! That's the point: You've seen the material once (even if you, for whatever reason, didn't pay much attention to it...), you really ought to do better the second time.

I'm sure lots of you will say that you had "good reasons" or "extenuating circumstances" for failing a class. There are plenty of people out there who had "good reasons" too and still managed decent grades. Just write an addendum, own the GPA you EARNED, and move on.

There is nothing unfair about the way LSAC calculates GPA.

Edit: OP this rant is not directed at you. Your LSAT (if you score in that range) will still get you into a lot of very good schools, likely with a lot of money. Good luck!

Thanks for that, TLS will be sure to file your opinion in the nobody gives a fuck drawer.

Yes, your post is far more substantive than mine...

isaiahnielsen

Postby isaiahnielsen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:29 am

Nonok wrote:
lolol10 wrote:ah ok i think they include that. im in a similiar situation i performed very poorly my first semester in college as a bio major receiving a D in a calc class which i promptly took over the following sem., thereby removing it from my gpa but keeping it still on the transcript, for an A. that would really piss me off if that goes on there. its like a jersey ginger orphan on my record.

Yeah. It's going to go on your LSAC GPA. Sorry bro. I'm equally pissed. Going from a 3.32 to a 3.02 is devastating to my applications. I go from having a good change to getting into some of the T14 to maybe having no chance at all.

shocked is an understatement to how i felt when i saw my GPA drop from a 3.25 to a 2.93...i am not even sure i will apply this year

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:01 pm

isaiahnielsen wrote:
Nonok wrote:
lolol10 wrote:ah ok i think they include that. im in a similiar situation i performed very poorly my first semester in college as a bio major receiving a D in a calc class which i promptly took over the following sem., thereby removing it from my gpa but keeping it still on the transcript, for an A. that would really piss me off if that goes on there. its like a jersey ginger orphan on my record.

Yeah. It's going to go on your LSAC GPA. Sorry bro. I'm equally pissed. Going from a 3.32 to a 3.02 is devastating to my applications. I go from having a good change to getting into some of the T14 to maybe having no chance at all.

shocked is an understatement to how i felt when i saw my GPA drop from a 3.25 to a 2.93...i am not even sure i will apply this year

3.3ish to 2.5. Do I win?

isaiahnielsen

Postby isaiahnielsen » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:10 pm

gobuffs10 wrote:
isaiahnielsen wrote:
Nonok wrote:

3.3ish to 2.5. Do I win?

yes, if we can call that winning.

Return to “Law School FAQ”