LSAT Misconduct and Irregularities Notice Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
edubs003

Bronze

LSAT Misconduct and Irregularities Notice

Post by edubs003 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:53 pm

I just took the LSAT this past Saturday and was given a misconduct/irregularities notice. After asking my room supervisor for permission to go outside and smoke during the break, which he was fine with, his supervisor didn't allow it. She gave me a misconduct/irregularities notice that states, "He asked the room supervisor to go out for a smoke outside the building. Room supervisor gave permission without knowing that people aren't allowed outside for a smoke." What's the deal with this? I asked permission, it was granted, and then I get in trouble! WTH? These LSAC people really need to know the rules. Aren't they there to answer questions like this one? Now I have to call LSAC and explain because someone didn't do their job. All of this is in the summary on the ticket but I was wondering what penalties I face?

kalvano

Diamond

Re: LSAT Misconduct and Irregularities Notice

Post by kalvano » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:54 pm

Wait, during the official break?

They said you couldn't leave the classroom?

That's absurd.

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:57 pm

During the official break the room supervisor said I could go smoke. So I go smoke and someone asks me to come back inside and I get a misconduct notice from the supervisor. She said that I couldn't leave the building even though I got permission from the room supervisor where I was taking the LSAT.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:00 pm

Hard to see how that constitutes any misconduct on your part.

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:00 pm

The woman that gave me the misconduct notice was the room supervisors superior. And even though I had permission from him to leave the building to smoke, she wrote me up for it!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:01 pm

edubs003 wrote:During the official break the room supervisor said I could go smoke. So I go smoke and someone asks me to come back inside and I get a misconduct notice from the supervisor. She said that I couldn't leave the building even though I got permission from the room supervisor where I was taking the LSAT.

Everyone left the building when I took it. That's kind of the point of a break.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:02 pm

Sounds like your room's proctor was the one with the misconduct.

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:05 pm

Thank You! Thats exactly what I thought. I don't think it's a big deal but it would suck if it delays my applications.

the_wanksta36

New

Post by the_wanksta36 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:48 pm

After reading this post, it kinda sounds like you are making a bunch of excuses. You shouldn't have gone outside. That is clearly stated in the rules. The proctors are not there to hold your hand through this process and they can't be responsible for this. I hope your score is delayed, due to this display of immaturity, or that they cancel your score altogether and force you to retake it this December--when your chances of gaining acceptance are minimal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:15 pm

kalvano wrote:
edubs003 wrote:During the official break the room supervisor said I could go smoke. So I go smoke and someone asks me to come back inside and I get a misconduct notice from the supervisor. She said that I couldn't leave the building even though I got permission from the room supervisor where I was taking the LSAT.

we were told we couldn't even leave the floor we were on.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:17 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

we were told we couldn't even leave the floor we were on.

That's stupid. Everyone went outside to relax / smoke / have a snack / bathroom / whatever.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:18 pm

kalvano wrote:

I feel for OP because I sure as hell could have used a smoke at break, but I have taken the test twice now and my proctors wouldn't even let me leave the floor of the building that my testing room was on, let alone go outside.

ohlawl

New

Post by ohlawl » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Did you go to your car to get the cigarettes? We were allowed outside to the parking lot during the break but they said we couldn't go to our cars. I think they were one of the prohibited items too. I am a smoker too and I would have paid top dollar for one at that break!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:55 pm

The whole point is that I was told I could go smoke. Then I was written up for it by my room supervisors superior. I talked to her and she told me that the room supervisor made a mistake and I shouldn't have been allowed outside. If he had said no, then I wouldn't have gone outside. I didn't go to my car, didn't have a phone, and was standing alone while I smoked and ate my snack. I didn't see cigs on the prohibited items list. Also, I took the LSAT in June 2010 and was allowed outside to smoke, along with 20 other people!!!!!!! I'm just asking how i could get permission from a room supervisor and then get in trouble?

the_wanksta36

New

Post by the_wanksta36 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:14 pm

You must live in Utah. That's the only state lame enough to even care if someone is smoking.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:04 am

Hopefully, sane heads will prevail and realize it was a miscommunication and that you didn't do anything wrong.

cynthia rose

Bronze

Post by cynthia rose » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:02 am

This whole situation sounds absurd. You shouldn't have been written up for a mistake one of the proctors made. It sounds like the proctor supervisor took the "irregularities" part of the phrase very seriously though (i.e., it's clearly not a misconduct on your part but it was an irregularity, so she felt that she had to note it). I doubt it will affect anything since she noted that you asked for permission, rather than broke the rules; but you can still write a formal complaint to LSAC (LinkRemoved) and ask that if the irregularity can be removed since you did nothing wrong. The sucky part is that writing may delay your score while they review the complaint. But if there's a chance your applications would be delayed because of the notice, it might make you feel better if you do that.

My room didn't even have central air or open windows but this makes me glad that the room was right off the exit to an outside area, where almost everyone (including the proctors) went for the break.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:18 pm

I called LSAC this morning and they told me to write a test center complaint. Just another thing to worry about. I still can't believe that the person wrote me up for that. The lady that I spoke with said it was weird that they didn't let me smoke anyways. She said that they usually have designated smoking areas. Its not like I was cheating!!!

thegovernor

New

Post by thegovernor » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:43 pm

the_wanksta36 wrote:After reading this post, it kinda sounds like you are making a bunch of excuses. You shouldn't have gone outside. That is clearly stated in the rules. The proctors are not there to hold your hand through this process and they can't be responsible for this. I hope your score is delayed, due to this display of immaturity, or that they cancel your score altogether and force you to retake it this December--when your chances of gaining acceptance are minimal.
Your an asshole man. Hope you don't treat people like this outside of stupid law school forums.

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:08 am

the_wanksta36 wrote:After reading this post, it kinda sounds like you are making a bunch of excuses. You shouldn't have gone outside. That is clearly stated in the rules. The proctors are not there to hold your hand through this process and they can't be responsible for this. I hope your score is delayed, due to this display of immaturity, or that they cancel your score altogether and force you to retake it this December--when your chances of gaining acceptance are minimal.

well aren't you just a barrel of fun!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:55 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
kalvano wrote:

I feel for OP because I sure as hell could have used a smoke at break, but I have taken the test twice now and my proctors wouldn't even let me leave the floor of the building that my testing room was on, let alone go outside.
They let us leave the room (which was leaving the building, because it was a row of classrooms that all opened to the outdoors), and could even go next door to the snack bar if we wanted to buy a cold drink or hadn't brought a snack.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:54 pm

You were written up because the proctors are obligated to write up everything they see that may violate test protocol and then they let LSAC deal with it. People get written up all the time for taking a sip out of their water bottle or getting up from their seat before they were acknowledged by the proctor. I highly doubt they're going to cancel your test results because you were misled by the false instructions provided by the test administrator.

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:04 pm

I'm not too worried about them cancelling my score anymore. Now I'm just worried that it will delay my application, compared to other October takers. I have everything else done and I'm just waiting on a score to send!

lawlee

New

Post by lawlee » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:45 am

does anyone know how long it holds your score? i made a complaint and lsac just said it would delay my score. grrrrr

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:44 pm

I called LSAC and they said it usually takes 4-6 weeks. She said it could be sooner but that's the standard. This blows!!!!!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”