Question about Early Decision

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kodiak

Question about Early Decision

Postby kodiak » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:48 pm

I am considering an ED Binding application at the University of Minnesota (it's the only law school I am applying to). If accepted, do I have to attend that cycle or can I defer the decision? What if I decline the admission and just do not attend any law school at all but instead enroll in a different graduate level program (mba, mha, etc.)?

northwood

Re: Question about Early Decision

Postby northwood » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:44 pm

im not totally sure, but an ed binding decision means that you will attend that school, or not attend any law school for that cycle. (If you are going to apply to any other school, and the school where you ed accepts you- then you options are to go there or go no where)

I think that if you dont accept the ED binding decision, you can apply to other programs( though i would not recommend appplying to other programs at the school you are going to ED to). But double check before going.

However, if you are still unsure where you want to go to school and what for, why apply ED? Apply to the schools that you would, and see if you get any scholarship or financial aid incentives. Also apply to other programs and see how it shakes out. Once you ge your acceptances/ rejections, then make the decision. You will be able to weigh all factors ( cost, scholarships, etc) and have more time to make this important decision. Why pay full sticker ( and agree to do so) for a program that your unsure you want to do?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:56 pm

If you apply ED and get in, your choices are to either attend in 2011-12, or not attend any law school at all that year. You can always apply to other graduate programs at the same time as ED (with the exception that some universities don't allow you to apply to more than 1 of their graduate/professional programs in the same year).

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:06 pm

kodiak wrote:I am considering an ED Binding application at the University of Minnesota (it's the only law school I am applying to). If accepted, do I have to attend that cycle or can I defer the decision? What if I decline the admission and just do not attend any law school at all but instead enroll in a different graduate level program (mba, mha, etc.)?

Responding to the bold question, since others already answered your other questions:

I think it depends on schools, and how lenient they are in terms of deferral. It is your call, but I suggest you check with the school first before applying.

Return to “Law School FAQ”