Typing skills - 0L

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
JOThompson

Re: Typing skills - 0L

Postby JOThompson » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:15 am

Overall, I think that being able to type accurately and quickly is essential to success. However, it's worth noting that some people do better retain info if they take notes by hand. Laptops can be a huge distraction for some students. Assuming you don't fall into either of those categories, you're better off learning to type and using a laptop.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:26 am

I type 100+. Found it incredibly useful for note-taking and exams (especially exams).

Try to get near 100. Work on it ALOT. It will help more than any other 0L prep you can do.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:07 am

pasteurizedmilk wrote:I type 100+. Found it incredibly useful for note-taking and exams (especially exams).

Try to get near 100. Work on it ALOT. It will help more than any other 0L prep you can do.

I can type 100+ uncorrected and maybe 85 or so accurate. I don't usually correct the mistakes because I need to proofread what I type (except online). It is incredibly useful consider I can barely read my own handwriting (from 20+ years of lack of practice).

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:09 am

r6_philly wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:I type 100+. Found it incredibly useful for note-taking and exams (especially exams).

I can type 100+ uncorrected and maybe 85 or so accurate. I don't usually correct the mistakes because I need to proofread what I type (except online). It is incredibly useful consider I can barely read my own handwriting (from 20+ years of lack of practice).

I hit about the same. As long as there's no douchey punctuation/odd words I get closer to 150.

Way. Too. Many. Computer. Games.
(Can't talk shit to people if you type slow)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:11 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
That would be ma'am (or miss, I guess), actually. :)

Tighten in a star pattern so the wheel is tightened flat against the...whatever the flat round thing on the ends of the axle is called (despite having changed my own brake pads, I don't actually know cars), and doesn't get jammed on crooked only to come loose when the car starts rolling.

You are awesome! :)

It's the hub. As you tighten the nuts, the previously tightened nuts would because slightly looser, so the star pattern would make sure you tighten every one, and so you can gradually tighten each nut evenly across the hug. You should going around the star at least twice. BTW if you have 6 or 8 studs, you go stud - across - skip 2 - across - etc...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:15 am

beach_terror wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I hit about the same. As long as there's no douchey punctuation/odd words I get closer to 150.

Way. Too. Many. Computer. Games.
(Can't talk shit to people if you type slow)

The only punctuation marks I can hit consistently are: ( ) ; , . < > $ / { } Not very useful for regular writing, so that slows me down a lot when I need to look for the right mark.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:37 am

It seems we have some good typists in here. None of my facebook friends can touch my high score in this game. Someone please give me a mark to hit (I'm at 690k, level 25).
http://apps.facebook.com/typing-maniac/?ref=bookmarks&count=0

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:12 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
Ragged wrote:Thanks for the links guys. Typing is something I need to learn badly before law school also.

you have 1788 posts on this forum and can't type? I'd say you have mad skillz bro.

Not really. Everything I posted so far was dictated to my secretary.

vtoodler

Postby vtoodler » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:26 am

It is very important that you learn to type. If you can take a typing class at a local community college or a local school, then do so.

My mother made me take typing when I was in seventh grade. At the time, I was very upset that she forced me to do so when there other fun classes that I wanted to take. But now, years later, I am thankful for it. It helped me out a lot during high school and college. It takes me minutes to type a typical college paper.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:56 am

I'm not joking about that facebook app game. It's addicting and will improve your typing skills rather quickly.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:57 am

Lieut Kaffee wrote:I'm not joking about that facebook app game. It's addicting and will improve your typing skills rather quickly.

LTK henpecks.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:59 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:I'm not joking about that facebook app game. It's addicting and will improve your typing skills rather quickly.

LTK henpecks.

If you beat 690,896 I will buy every single one of your drinks tomorrow.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:04 pm

I am a dedicated gamer. I taught myself how to type by buying a complex game (i.e. Bioshock) that requires a large number of main board keys to be pressed in order to do well in the game. Thanks to my competitive nature, I was forced to hit certain keys off instinct in order to respond to game demands. As a result, I trained myself to play the games effectively without ever looking at the keys I was hitting.

I violate a few of the rules that most typists advocated, but I am still a fairly fast typer.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:23 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

LTK henpecks.

Damn you must be a crazy typist. I can't get past level 8 at 80k points.

emilybeth

Postby emilybeth » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:36 pm

120 WPM if correcting errors; closer to 150 WPM if not.

all of this is attributable to liberal use of AIM in middle and high school.

seriously though, typing without having to look at your hands or the screen is an invaluable skill. i can get away with mad shit because i can maintain eye contact with a prof while typing, typing, typing away.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:30 pm

Ragged wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

LTK henpecks.

Damn you must be a crazy typist. I can't get past level 8 at 80k points.

Well people here are saying stuff about 150 wpm. I'm pretty sure the best I've ever tested was 120. That game is probably around 60% typing ability and 40% strategy, though.

vtoodler

Postby vtoodler » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:11 pm

You should play a game called typing shark. Just google typing shark. I believe it's a yahoo game.

Return to “Law School FAQ”