where can i get in

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: where can i get in

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:04 pm

dosiag wrote:Sorry but my friends and I never sugar-caot anything to make people feel better. I'm not saying this because it's hard or I'm not going to score high. It's just my opinion.


i might have to go with veyron on this one (or at least his first point haha) -- i mean, there have been studies done on this, and while these things arent perfect, they easily trump anecdotal evidence

what was the correlation again for LSAT and 1 yr success at law schools? like +0.4 or something; mind you, this isnt AMAZING, but it is prob the best thing out there (at the moment)...if you combine GPA and LSAT, it goes even higher

so at least for the first yr, the LSAT is the best available indicator for law school performance -- far from a great predictor, but the 'best available'...which, in the context of things, means it should be a pretty decent reflection of your ability to do well in law school

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: where can i get in

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:12 pm

Come on, this has to be a flame. This person's writing is terrible.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: where can i get in

Postby Barbie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:57 pm

lol@naterj!!!

Would plagiarism ever have an impact on OP's ability to sit for the bar? You would be really set without that on your record, considering your GPA, expected LSAT, and diversity. Did you take the LSAT this month, or are you retaking? Applying @ January is not going to much help you :(. It really all comes down to the plagiarism charge, so I would definitly look into which schools care more/less about things like that. Also, I agree that part time programs would be a decent idea, and they are easier to get into typically also.

lornarose07
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: where can i get in

Postby lornarose07 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:10 am

Honestly, I think where you can get into is the least of your worries if you are seriously considering law school. Being a single mother and having a child with special needs can and probably will be extremely dibilitating to your success as a law student. Part-time may work out, but it's going to be extremely difficult and given your shaky academic background I imagine many adcomms will be apprehensive to admit someone with your circumstances because they certainly don't want you to waste your time and money. You better have one heck of a PS to prove to them that your past mistakes are just that, PAST mistakes and nothing you ever plan to repeat, and that your personal life is not going to interfere with or hinder your studies.

All that aside, BEST of luck! You have a lot on your plate and I give you credit for being so motivated. If anything your kids have a strong mom to look up to!

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: where can i get in

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:35 am

lornarose07 wrote: If anything your kids have a strong mom to look up to!



I found this funny because when an athlete takes steroids he is "a cheater" or "not a good role model. When a mother of two commits academic fraud, "she is a good role model."

Just made me laugh....not commenting on how good or bad of a role model this lady is for her kids.

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: where can i get in

Postby ajmanyjah » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:00 pm

dosiag wrote:@Veyron. My best friend and her best friends are Alimni of duke and Brooklyn Law. And they both totally agree about the lsat. It's like a right of passage.
@Canadian: That's why I'm moving from Los Angeles to Georgia, that's where I'm from and ALL my relatives are there so I'll have TONS of help.


rite*

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: where can i get in

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:07 pm

Retake the LSAT. Apply broadly.

Your academic misconduct will hurt you at some schools and it won't hurt you at others. Nobody can really guess which ones will be which.

dosiag
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:48 am

Re: where can i get in

Postby dosiag » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:27 pm

Well I've been advised to not use plagarism because I cited evrything, I just didn't put quotations so that was my mistake. I actually improperly cited. And you have NO IDEA of what I was going through and the amount of pressure I was under to diliver. But I've definatley "cut the fat" and my PS is amazing. I have extremely good letters of recs from very highly respected people.I have an anazing reputation at UCLA despite that one thing. And I would consider myself a pretty darn good role model. I have totally went against all odds and have ended up in a pretty good place all by myself. But people are human and make mistakes. And totally different from taking steriods.lol! Yikes. I feel pretty positive about my chances at GA State's law school.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: where can i get in

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:41 pm

dosiag wrote:Well I've been advised to not use plagarism because I cited evrything, I just didn't put quotations so that was my mistake. I actually improperly cited. And you have NO IDEA of what I was going through and the amount of pressure I was under to diliver. But I've definatley "cut the fat" and my PS is amazing. I have extremely good letters of recs from very highly respected people.I have an anazing reputation at UCLA despite that one thing. And I would consider myself a pretty darn good role model. I have totally went against all odds and have ended up in a pretty good place all by myself. But people are human and make mistakes. And totally different from taking steriods.lol! Yikes. I feel pretty positive about my chances at GA State's law school.

I'm sorry but that's called plagiarism.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: where can i get in

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:46 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
dosiag wrote:Well I've been advised to not use plagarism because I cited evrything, I just didn't put quotations so that was my mistake. I actually improperly cited. And you have NO IDEA of what I was going through and the amount of pressure I was under to diliver. But I've definatley "cut the fat" and my PS is amazing. I have extremely good letters of recs from very highly respected people.I have an anazing reputation at UCLA despite that one thing. And I would consider myself a pretty darn good role model. I have totally went against all odds and have ended up in a pretty good place all by myself. But people are human and make mistakes. And totally different from taking steriods.lol! Yikes. I feel pretty positive about my chances at GA State's law school.

I'm sorry but that's called plagiarism.



+1. Also, I'd suggest you use a professional editing service, or a university's writing center to proof read your PS. I really mean no offense, but your writing is pretty terrible.

lornarose07
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: where can i get in

Postby lornarose07 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:00 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
lornarose07 wrote: If anything your kids have a strong mom to look up to!



I found this funny because when an athlete takes steroids he is "a cheater" or "not a good role model. When a mother of two commits academic fraud, "she is a good role model."

Just made me laugh....not commenting on how good or bad of a role model this lady is for her kids.


I said a strong mom. Not a good role model. Having a mother try to go to such lengths to provide a good lifestyle for her family is an indicator of being strong.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests