where can i get in Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
dosiag

New

where can i get in

Post by dosiag » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:01 am

I am a 28 year old soon to be divorced African-American motherof three. I go to UCLA. This past Spring quarter the pressure was too much for me and I plagarized on a paper and got caught. I now have a deferred sispension on my record. after finding out my son has Asperger's disorder I really detached from school and became obsessed with my son and Asperger's since the Soring I have taken two summer sessions and got 3A's and. B+. So there is obvious evidence I learned from that. Which I actually did learn how to better organize my life to cater to my son. I take the LSAT on Sat, my goal is 162 and my GPA (if I can make up the class I messed up) is 3.58. Do you think I even have a chance of getting into Emory with my record? Even more important, is there a possibility I would even be considered for the Woodruff fellowship? I am really stressing about this. What do you think the lowest LSAT score is that I can get away with.

dosiag

New

Re: where can i get in

Post by dosiag » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:09 am

To add to my background. I am also in the honors program and have been from my freshman year.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:23 am

with a 162? yeah probably
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:38 am

dosiag wrote:my GPA (if I can make up the class I messed up) is 3.58.
Unfortunately, classes you have retaken will not count toward your official LSAC GPA. If you failed the first time around but got an A after retaking, LSAC will only count the F. Even then, a 162-3.3 (I'm guessing that's what it would come out as with an F for that class) plus your URM boost would make you very competitive for most law schools. Best of luck with the LSAT this Saturday!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:39 am

The Gentleman wrote:
dosiag wrote:my GPA (if I can make up the class I messed up) is 3.58.
Unfortunately, classes you have retaken will not count toward your official LSAC GPA. If you failed the first time around but got an A after retaking, LSAC will only count the F. Even then, a 162-3.3 (I'm guessing that's what it would come out as with an F for that class) plus your URM boost would make you very competitive for most law schools. Best of luck with the LSAT this Saturday!
This isn't entirely accurate. LSAC will calculate both grades into your GPA, both the original grade and the grade from retaking the class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:52 am

The Gentleman wrote:This isn't entirely accurate. LSAC will calculate both grades into your GPA, both the original grade and the grade from retaking the class.
Really? I thought they ignored retakes in calculating GPA. I've heard many people on here say exactly that.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:56 am

http://www.lsac.org/policies/transcript ... zation.asp
Repeated Courses

All grades and credits earned for repeated courses will be included in the GPA calculation if the course units and grades appear on the transcript. A line drawn through course information or a grade does not eliminate the course from GPA calculation if the course units appear on the transcript.

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:56 am

Ahh well I stand corrected! Apologies to the OP.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:01 am

3.58, 162 might get you into Emory, especially as a URM, but I doubt you get a good scholarship package.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:08 am

Without an actual LSAT score, it is difficult to offer advice--but here I go anyway. With a fairly recent academic dishonesty deferred suspension on your college record, it is unlikely, in my opinion, that you would receive a Woodruff scholarship from Emory University School of Law. But you should still apply, especially if you break 160 on the LSAT.

dosiag

New

Post by dosiag » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:06 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I am praying I can pull off a 162 at least I really want a 166,but with juggling kids I have to be realistic. I wonder if it matters who nominates you. My nomination letter for the Fellowship is from well respected political speech writer who is pretty well known. Oh and does my having kids give any kind of boost like being a urm? If you all can't tell I'm obsessing about this.lol. if not Emory I guess there's always GA state :(. I saw they moved up in the ranking to the 50's. But I doubt I'll have a jon waiting for me.

JustBelieve

New

Post by JustBelieve » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:21 pm

I would not worry at all, it will all work out. You will get into the law school that is meant for you. Just relax and I am absolutely certain you will score over a 165. With Emory, you should be fine. Pray about it and it WILL work out.
dosiag wrote:I am a 28 year old soon to be divorced African-American motherof three. I go to UCLA. This past Spring quarter the pressure was too much for me and I plagarized on a paper and got caught. I now have a deferred sispension on my record. after finding out my son has Asperger's disorder I really detached from school and became obsessed with my son and Asperger's since the Soring I have taken two summer sessions and got 3A's and. B+. So there is obvious evidence I learned from that. Which I actually did learn how to better organize my life to cater to my son. I take the LSAT on Sat, my goal is 162 and my GPA (if I can make up the class I messed up) is 3.58. Do you think I even have a chance of getting into Emory with my record? Even more important, is there a possibility I would even be considered for the Woodruff fellowship? I am really stressing about this. What do you think the lowest LSAT score is that I can get away with.

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:57 pm

JustBelieve wrote:I would not worry at all, it will all work out. You will get into the law school that is meant for you. Just relax and I am absolutely certain you will score over a 165. With Emory, you should be fine. Pray about it and it WILL work out.
dosiag wrote:I am a 28 year old soon to be divorced African-American motherof three. I go to UCLA. This past Spring quarter the pressure was too much for me and I plagarized on a paper and got caught. I now have a deferred sispension on my record. after finding out my son has Asperger's disorder I really detached from school and became obsessed with my son and Asperger's since the Soring I have taken two summer sessions and got 3A's and. B+. So there is obvious evidence I learned from that. Which I actually did learn how to better organize my life to cater to my son. I take the LSAT on Sat, my goal is 162 and my GPA (if I can make up the class I messed up) is 3.58. Do you think I even have a chance of getting into Emory with my record? Even more important, is there a possibility I would even be considered for the Woodruff fellowship? I am really stressing about this. What do you think the lowest LSAT score is that I can get away with.
Who are you, and why are you being so joyful? This "its all going to be ok" attitude is the wrong one. One needs to make a calculated determination if law school is the right avenue for them when taking into account debt load and employment prospects. This kind of "its going to be ok" attitude is why there are a crapton of TTT schools with TTT job prospects and graduates with debtloads bigger than most mortgages.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:14 pm

I think the accademic dishonesty reporting will kill the OP. This is one of the few sins # and softs don't absolve.

dosiag

New

Post by dosiag » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:19 pm

Well I've already lowered my sights to Georgia State U law. I can't make up the course that caused the DS so my GPA is now 3.33. Which sucks. And I'm taking the lsat in Dec to try to get 166. So hopefully they take me. I think that I will have a much better chance getting in and getting financial aid. I don't think the lsat is a true reflection of you ability to do well in law school. I've taken two law clases(for undergrads) and I excelled and really felt at home. But the lsat, I don't feel at home and it is extremely difficult. It's all about time management more than your actual knowledge.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:23 pm

dosiag wrote:Well I've already lowered my sights to Georgia State U law. I can't make up the course that caused the DS so my GPA is now 3.33. Which sucks. And I'm taking the lsat in Dec to try to get 166. So hopefully they take me. I think that I will have a much better chance getting in and getting financial aid. I don't think the lsat is a true reflection of you ability to do well in law school. I've taken two law clases(for undergrads) and I excelled and really felt at home. But the lsat, I don't feel at home and it is extremely difficult. It's all about time management more than your actual knowledge.
Too bad you "don't think that the LSAT is a true reflection of you [sic] ability to do well in law school," because you're wrong.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:32 pm

My opinion is that a soon-to-be single mother of three minor children will have difficulty handling both the first year of law school & parental responsibilities unless relatives will be handling extensive childcare.
Georgia State may offer a part-time law program that you should investigate, but the admission rate is quite low due to low in-state tuition & the downtown location.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dosiag

New

Post by dosiag » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:00 pm

@Veyron. My best friend and her best friends are Alimni of duke and Brooklyn Law. And they both totally agree about the lsat. It's like a right of passage.
@Canadian: That's why I'm moving from Los Angeles to Georgia, that's where I'm from and ALL my relatives are there so I'll have TONS of help.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:04 pm

dosiag wrote:@Veyron. My best friend and her best friends are Alimni of duke and Brooklyn Law. And they both totally agree about the lsat. It's like a right of passage.
@Canadian: That's why I'm moving from Los Angeles to Georgia, that's where I'm from and ALL my relatives are there so I'll have TONS of help.
Well, who am I to argue with the "Almni" of such a prestigious school? Tell me, where do they work now?

dosiag

New

Post by dosiag » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:43 pm

one (brooklyn law alum) works for Skadden, Meager, & Sloan in New york and graduated 2nd in her class. The Duke Alum works for a senator in DC

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:47 pm

dosiag wrote:one (brooklyn law alum) works for Skadden, Meager, & Sloan in New york and graduated 2nd in her class. The Duke Alum works for a senator in DC
And their LSAT score was below median?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dosiag

New

Post by dosiag » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:16 pm

No. One had a 175(about) and the other had 166. So they scored great they just both agree that it is not the end all be all measure of you ability to excel in law school. Reading comp is the only part that's really applicable. Anal reasoning, no point but to back you have to deal with it and do good.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:57 pm

dosiag wrote:No. One had a 175(about) and the other had 166. So they scored great they just both agree that it is not the end all be all measure of you ability to excel in law school. Reading comp is the only part that's really applicable. Anal reasoning, no point but to back you have to deal with it and do good.
And yet, they both scored far above the medians for their school. Perhaps they are just being good friend and trying to make you feel better. Trust me, its all relevant. Once you start studying the Rule Against Perpituities you will understand EXACTLY why games are on the lsat.

dosiag

New

Post by dosiag » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:52 pm

Sorry but my friends and I never sugar-caot anything to make people feel better. I'm not saying this because it's hard or I'm not going to score high. It's just my opinion.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:54 pm

dosiag wrote:Sorry but my friends and I never sugar-caot anything to make people feel better. I'm not saying this because it's hard or I'm not going to score high. It's just my opinion.
You and your friends sound like bad asses. Wanna hang?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”