Impression of Pepperdine

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Sean1269

Impression of Pepperdine

Postby Sean1269 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:14 pm

There are a few posts on this website which influenced my choice of whether or not I wanted to go here, this is my impression so far in relation to those posts:

1. While the school requires a response to mission statement which undoubtedly includes the words "christian tradition", the topic has never been raised yet in the classroom, or even amongst my peers. Many students who are jewish, atheists, muslim etc. were initially put off, but have otherwise not been affected by the chistian affiliation. (Disclaimer: I am not religious and it put me off too)

2. There is a conservative nature at the school, I have heard one student brag about how conservative he is, but everyone laughed at him. The professors often make fun of the conservative nature as well as the students. Politics rarely come up in class, except when explaing why court opinions were written certain ways (taking into account judges' political affiliations/aspirations). A liberal student (like myself) would not feel out of place, unless of course they wanted to.

3. Bar passage rate is actually closer to 90%, not 77% as it shows on this website, check the cal bar records

4. It's true, there are a lot of Texans and people from Oregon (Oregonians??)

5. Most students live in, Calabasas, on campus or in santa monica

6. There are midterms your first year, they do not count though

whymeohgodno

Re: Impression of Pepperdine

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:47 pm

More important are job prospects.

Pepperdine? Not looking to good.

Sean1269

Postby Sean1269 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:55 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:More important are job prospects.

Hmm....I can say with confidence that the job prospects have been good in regards to other similarly ranked schools, I have a good amount of friends who went there and got jobs in the past year. I will say that the BigLaw job prospects are not great nor are the chances for a being an appellate court clerk. That being said, the job prospects are fine, OCI went well for most of the well placed (upper 33%) classmen. Good luck on the LSAT this month.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:53 pm

Yeah, but I also heard Pepperdine does not place as well as Loyola which is a lower ranked school, but does better in job placement.

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:30 pm

From my experience thus far I agree mostly with Sean. Religion has not seemed to come up at all. The only thing seemingly Christian about Pepperdine is how highly they regard helping less advantaged people (i.e. Uganda/Rwanda abraod program, and the rescue mission downtown LA program).

The alumni seem so dedicated towards helping current students (i.e. find a job were a current pepperdine alumni works). I have only spoken with two upperclassmen, and both are top 10%, but both were so swamped with interviews, they had no free time (good sign if you ask me).

As for the conservative aspect, I feel like its 50/50, which says something. My public university for undergrad was like 1 conservative/ 100 liberals. Although 50/50 seems equal, I take it as a significantly larger presence of conservatives.

Also, there is something very different about Pepperdine in regards to its faculty. At my undergrad, professors were somewhat accesible in their office hours. At Pepperdine, I have had dinner at professors homes, and they frequently arrange events out of class for students to mingle with faculty. Additionally, they are always in their offices (whether they have office hours or not).

For the record, although the view in Malibu is nice and overly discussed, I really don't get time to appreciate any view other than my books.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:36 pm

Interesting about the Oregon connection. Two of the adcomms I met with were from Oregon, one went to school less than 30 minutes from me.

saltoftheearth

Postby saltoftheearth » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:05 am

whymeohgodno wrote:More important are job prospects.

Self-tar?

Return to “Law School FAQ”