Reading about all this negativity about law school.. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Reading about all this negativity about law school..

Post by r6_philly » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:32 pm

Veyron wrote:
Hypocrisy is for the privileged few.
So the three of us are privileged? Wow 8)

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:34 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Hypocrisy is for the privileged few.
So the three of us are privileged? Wow 8)
Undeniably.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
r6_philly wrote:.
I see. :roll:
That was for your fan, I didn't want to bring him into it cuz I am tired.

I see you didn't want to respond to the other one.
Did I miss something? Also,
It's the Internet
Why get testy?

We need to get back to OP's question.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:01 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:I think I may be an outlier here on TLS in terms of law school and its gloomy financial outlook, but by the same token, should all high school graduates not go to private colleges/universities? Or not major in social science, literature, etc.?

I agree with doublechecks that you need to be smart when choosing law school, but establishing a $70K limit is a little over the edge.
This is great advice. I wish someone had told me that my liberal arts degree would be useless.

If they did I would probably be rocking an engineering degree by now and looking for a great job instead of studying for the LSAT and worrying about taking on a 150k debt in a poor job market.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:14 pm

Look, in all seriousnes pursue your dreams ifyou BOTH have a passion for the law AND an apitude (as evidenced by an ultra-high LSAT score) for it. Law is a lot like sport in that there are a great deal of people with a great deal of ability in the field and only the best of the best are well rewarded for their efforts.

P.S. Seriously, the LSAT measures exactly the skill set I use as a 1L. In fact, I do stuff and see stuff and I'm like, this is exactly like the LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:17 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:I think I may be an outlier here on TLS in terms of law school and its gloomy financial outlook, but by the same token, should all high school graduates not go to private colleges/universities? Or not major in social science, literature, etc.?

I agree with doublechecks that you need to be smart when choosing law school, but establishing a $70K limit is a little over the edge.
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Co ... Loans.aspx
If you're a student, you should generally limit your debt so that your loan payments after you graduate don't eat up more than 10% of your expected monthly income. Figure you'll pay $12 per month for every $1,000 of federal student loans you borrow if you repay the loan over 10 years. If you take on private student loan debt, figure you'll pay $16 per month for every $1,000, although you could well pay more.

If the math makes your head hurt, you can just use the rule of thumb that you shouldn't borrow more in total for your education than you expect to make your first year out of school.
her last comment about government lawyers eventually making big bucks is kind of silly and uninformed.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:28 am

MrAnon wrote:
by the same token, should all high school graduates not go to private colleges/universities? Or not major in social science, literature, etc.?
Not all, but many who do go are throwing away good money to do so for degrees they will never recoup the true cost of. And since the job market dictates that there is an overabundant supply of unemployed and underemployed B.A. holders of social science and literature degrees then YES, many of them should NOT be in those majors. Why on earth would you pay $100,000 and spend 4 years of your life to major in something that there is no demand for? It defies common sense. But liberal arts majors and law school students do it all the time. Learn math and science, whether it makes you happy or not. Just because the schools are there does not mean they must be filled to the brim with students.
It's fine to major in social science english, etc, along as you aren't paying for it. many kids go to elite/good colleges for free these days, so if its free take it. College/undergrad is less about learning marketable skills for a profession than it is about leaving your former life and it's limited experiences and meeting new people, taking in new perspectives, challenging your self, getting high, getting laid, etc.

If you cant get a decent scholarship and your only option is to pay full price to bumbelfuck u, than college isn't worth it, but for most people it is.

EasternSeaboard

New

Post by EasternSeaboard » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:29 pm

Loving the advice in here. That last one made me lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”