Anyone who became a law professor right after graduation? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Anyone who became a law professor right after graduation?

Post by romothesavior » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:18 pm

bigben wrote: Let's see. Law professors have a MUCH less stressful and much less demanding job than biglaw. Arguably more interesting. They make more than other professors. As a biglaw associate you can pretty much count on being pushed out after 3-5 years, at which point you will take some other job that pays less. Or you will just get laid off and not find any decent job. Some profs make a ton of money on the side through consulting and royalties. Some people are just natural scholars.
And don't forget job security. Getting tenured and making 6 figures for your entire career sounds just fine to me.

OP, law profs may not be living the "models and bottles" lifestyle with their salary, but they do very well for themselves. Go to one of their houses sometime and I think you'll agree.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:42 pm

Check out http://www.sacbee.com/statepay/ and look up the salaries of any UC employee.

Examples from Berkeley:
Michelle Anderson, Asst Prof: $300k
Kenneth Bamberger, Asst Prof: $215k
David Gamage, Asst Prof: $165k
John Yoo, Prof: $261k

jrwhitedog

New

Post by jrwhitedog » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:18 pm

romothesavior wrote:
bigben wrote: Let's see. Law professors have a MUCH less stressful and much less demanding job than biglaw. Arguably more interesting. They make more than other professors. As a biglaw associate you can pretty much count on being pushed out after 3-5 years, at which point you will take some other job that pays less. Or you will just get laid off and not find any decent job. Some profs make a ton of money on the side through consulting and royalties. Some people are just natural scholars.
And don't forget job security. Getting tenured and making 6 figures for your entire career sounds just fine to me.

OP, law profs may not be living the "models and bottles" lifestyle with their salary, but they do very well for themselves. Go to one of their houses sometime and I think you'll agree.
Yeah, I agree. So how long would a graduate usually pay off his debts?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:22 pm

jrwhitedog wrote: Yeah, I agree. So how long would a graduate usually pay off his debts?
Well, considering that many law school graduates start out at ~50k, I'd say it usually takes a long ass time. IBR will likely change the landscape a bit though, since it allows public interest people to have their loans forgiven in 10 years. Safe to say that those making 6 figures (as law profs do) are paying them off faster than the vast majority of graduates.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:26 pm

jrwhitedog wrote:Yeah, I agree. So how long would a graduate usually pay off his debts?
Depends how much debt they have, how much they make, and how much of their income they use to pay it off? Hope this helps: http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/studentl ... tloan.html

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”