The best primary Legal Market in the East Coast for T20s?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
apollo13

The best primary Legal Market in the East Coast for T20s?

Postby apollo13 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:17 pm

When I think about primary markets in the east coast, of course, New York, D.C., and Boston come into my mind.
However, noting that New York is THE primary legal market target from all around the country for graduates from Top 30/40 schools, new york city is a very infatuated, competitive market especially ITE.
now, D.C. is THE primary market for gov related gigs/firm related jobs so it too is also very infatuated, and competitive.
Now there is Boston, a general primary market that houses harvard, bu, bc, suffolk. Harvard kids usually go after clerkship, academia, and jobs from the nyc. this leaves boston with bu/bc which are in the T20's and the absence of Biglaw jobs negelcted by T-14 kids. (this is from my assumption...) So what I am wondering is... is Boston the PRIMARY market for those who are willing to stay in Boston and those who attend schools outside of T-14, and still be pretty competent in biglaw jobs in boston?
what you guys think...? am i wrong?

bk1

Re: The best primary Legal Market in the East Coast for T20s?

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:31 pm

Wherever your regional school happens to be.

And it depends what you mean by "competitive" for biglaw. Most regional schools have it rough in comparison to the T14's in regards to biglaw. I definitely wouldn't bank on biglaw coming from even a strong regional school.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:37 pm

apollo13 wrote:Now there is Boston, a general primary market that houses harvard, bu, bc, suffolk. Harvard kids usually go after clerkship, academia, and jobs from the nyc. this leaves boston with bu/bc which are in the T20's and the absence of Biglaw jobs negelcted by T-14 kids. (this is from my assumption...) So what I am wondering is... is Boston the PRIMARY market for those who are willing to stay in Boston and those who attend schools outside of T-14, and still be pretty competent in biglaw jobs in boston?

This doesn't make any sense. But I think you're trying to say that Boston schools are good because they have a strong hold on Boston. As far as the "20s" go in terms of firm hiring, I think BU/BC are definitely good places to be as compared to their peers given the market is so insular. Only problem is that the market is also really small.

lonestar

Postby lonestar » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:39 pm

apollo13 wrote:When I think about primary markets in the east coast, of course, New York, D.C., and Boston come into my mind.
However, noting that New York is THE primary legal market target from all around the country for graduates from Top 30/40 schools, new york city is a very infatuated, competitive market especially ITE.
now, D.C. is THE primary market for gov related gigs/firm related jobs so it too is also very infatuated, and competitive.
Now there is Boston, a general primary market that houses harvard, bu, bc, suffolk. Harvard kids usually go after clerkship, academia, and jobs from the nyc. this leaves boston with bu/bc which are in the T20's and the absence of Biglaw jobs negelcted by T-14 kids. (this is from my assumption...) So what I am wondering is... is Boston the PRIMARY market for those who are willing to stay in Boston and those who attend schools outside of T-14, and still be pretty competent in biglaw jobs in boston?

Not totally sure that these are infatuated markets, saturated yes, but infatuated? Seems strange.

As for the point at hand. T20s place better in their primary market than other major markets, so once you're talking about T20s, it is essentially a question of where you would rather be. If you want DC, go to GW, If you want Boston, Go BU/BC, NYC Go Fordham, and hope you can sneak into biglaw in your home market, but don't be surprised if you don't make the cut.

lonestar

Postby lonestar » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:42 pm

But if you really are just biglaw or bust, the best approach is probably a strong regional in a secondary market. I.E. SMU for Dallas, UW for Seattle, CU for Denver, UofA/AZST for Phoenix etc...

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:48 pm

apollo13 wrote:When I think about primary markets in the east coast, of course, New York, D.C., and Boston come into my mind.

Infatuated doesn't mean what you think it means.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:50 pm

lonestar wrote:But if you really are just biglaw or bust, the best approach is probably a strong regional in a secondary market. I.E. SMU for Dallas, UW for Seattle, CU for Denver, UofA/AZST for Phoenix etc...

So if you are BigLaw or bust, the best approach is to go to a school where your chances of BigLaw are under - often well under - 25%? How is that supposed to make any sense?

That is simply wrong. Those schools are good regional schools, but they are not good choices for someone aiming to work at a big firm.

And OP: yes, you're wrong. If you go to a top school, New York is arguably the easiest market in the country to get a job. Boston and DC are two of the very hardest.
Last edited by RVP11 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:51 pm

rayiner wrote:

Infatuated doesn't mean what you think it means.

To actually be helpful, the word you are looking for is saturated.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:16 pm

RVP11 wrote:
lonestar wrote:But if you really are just biglaw or bust, the best approach is probably a strong regional in a secondary market. I.E. SMU for Dallas, UW for Seattle, CU for Denver, UofA/AZST for Phoenix etc...

So if you are BigLaw or bust, the best approach is to go to a school where your chances of BigLaw are under - often well under - 25%? How is that supposed to make any sense?

That is simply wrong. Those schools are good regional schools, but they are not good choices for someone aiming to work at a big firm.

And OP: yes, you're wrong. If you go to a top school, New York is arguably the easiest market in the country to get a job. Boston and DC are two of the very hardest.

If you go to a Boston school, getting a biglaw job there isn't as tough as internally cracking DC. Boston firms are super insecure that people want to work there and quickly leave for NYC or take a NYC offer over them. 2 of my CB interviews people actually asked repeatedly "how the NYC job fair went" and I had to say repeatedly that I didn't do it.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:50 pm

I prefaced that with "if you go to a TOP school." I assume you're talking about BU/BC.

Postby 2014 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:52 pm

RVP11 wrote:

I think the point was more if you CAN'T get into a T14 but are still big law or bust, then your best option is to choose where you want big law and go with the best regional school there. Better to have a 25% at Denver biglaw out of CU than 5% at Denver biglaw out of Boston.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:35 pm

2014 wrote:Better to have a 25% at Denver biglaw out of CU than 5% at Denver biglaw out of Boston.

But (A) CU doesn't give you 25% chance at Denver BigLaw
and (B) if you have Denver ties, BU/BC and the like would give you WAY better than 5% chance at Denver BigLaw

"BigLaw or bust" usually justifies going to the best school possible.

Return to “Law School FAQ”