Internship before law school. Any help in the long run?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jarofsoup

Internship before law school. Any help in the long run?

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:06 pm

I may get an internship at a law firm doing legal research, and paralegal like work(like drafting documets, etc.) with the understanding that I am going to law school in the fall if I get in.

Does this experience help with admission, summer internship placement, or employment down the line?

Is it a good "soft" factor?

It seems like the question "Have you ever worked in a law firm" comes up at every legal related interview I have ever had.

Bosque

Re: Internship before law school. Any help in the long run?

Postby Bosque » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:13 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I may get an internship at a law firm doing legal research, and paralegal like work(like drafting documets, etc.) with the understanding that I am going to law school in the fall if I get in.

Does this experience help with admission, summer internship placement, or employment down the line?

It seems like the question "Have you ever worked in a law firm" comes up at every legal related interview I have ever had.

No, not really.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:18 pm

Bosque wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:I may get an internship at a law firm doing legal research, and paralegal like work(like drafting documets, etc.) with the understanding that I am going to law school in the fall if I get in.

No, not really.

True.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:58 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:
Bosque wrote:

No, not really.

True.

hmmm. For some reason I was under the impression that experience in a crap economy could help.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:15 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:
Bosque wrote:

No, not really.

True.

hmmm. For some reason I was under the impression that experience in a crap economy could help.

WE helps for getting a job after law school. It doesn't help much for getting into a top law school (other than NU)

elliej

Postby elliej » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:34 pm

A summer internship won't help much getting a job after law school. I took the summer off and ONE person out of twenty-five screeners and thirteen callbacks asked me about what I did the summer before law school.

No help. Better for you to just relax.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:42 pm

elliej wrote:A summer internship won't help much getting a job after law school. I took the summer off and ONE person out of twenty-five screeners and thirteen callbacks asked me about what I did the summer before law school.

No help. Better for you to just relax.

I was thinking it would help get internships during law school summers.

How did it work out you get hired? Are you T14?

spanktheduck

Postby spanktheduck » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:43 pm

The internship itself won't really help you at all. It will help you in interviews at biglaw b/c it was give you something to talk about and some familiarity with big firms.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:54 pm

I see.

I guess it couldn't hurt though, and it would provide material that would make a strong conclusion to my personal statement. It would also be a reference in a field that I want to work in, which couldn't hurt.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:59 pm

Aside from the benefits for law school admittance (there really aren't any), it is a good opportunity and you should take it. You will get to see what lawyers do, get some exposure to the issues they deal with, and possibly make some connections and learn what you want to do with your degree. I definitely wish I had done something like this before matriculating.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:41 pm

1L here - I took the summer before LS to relax. If I had done an intensive legal job over the summer, I think I would already be worn out, probably. Don't underestimate the strain of the 1L year.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:13 pm

Yes, an internship with a 3.97+ and a 176+ will probably get you into Harvard and maybe even Yale. :mrgreen:

SFnative

Postby SFnative » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:14 am

My opinions on internships and working before you enter law school, is that it is always another positive line on your resume.
I don't see how they would see it as a negative, unless they view it as "oh, cool this persons must be living off mom and dad, hence has the chance to do free internships"...which I highly doubt... Experience in any type of work s always a plus in my eyes...

mst

Postby mst » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:13 am

I would do it just for the sake of experience and networking at the very least. Also, I don't know how set you are on a particular field of law, but I did an unpaid internship for an extremely short amount of time and even that did wonders for helping me decide what aspects I did and did not like about being lawyer in practice. This advice does depend on what kind of firm you will be working with of course and what exactly you'll be doing... For example, I was allowed to sit in on consultations and meetings. You might be stuck doing file work. Or not. Or you could travel the world. Oh, the choices...

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:26 pm

SFnative wrote:My opinions on internships and working before you enter law school, is that it is always another positive line on your resume.
I don't see how they would see it as a negative, unless they view it as "oh, cool this persons must be living off mom and dad, hence has the chance to do free internships"...which I highly doubt... Experience in any type of work s always a plus in my eyes...

I am very happy because it turned from an unpaid to a paid internship.

Return to “Law School FAQ”