How to choose a job before going to law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jrwhitedog

New

How to choose a job before going to law school?

Post by jrwhitedog » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:24 am

I'm in my final Master of Engineering semester and hopefully to find a job. I know u gotta be very lucky to even find a job during this recession but if I have the chance to choose, shall i take the offer that suits my major which is telecommunications or anything that concerns engineering staff if I want to be a IP lawyer later? Thanks.

buster

New

Re: How to choose a job before going to law school?

Post by buster » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:29 am

the great thing about law school is it honestly does not matter. one will probably not give you an advantage over another. just choose something you'll enjoy.

edit - oops, misread. if you want to do ip, engineering might be better.
Last edited by buster on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:31 am

buster wrote:the great thing about law school is it honestly does not matter. one will probably not give you an advantage over another. just choose something you'll enjoy.
You don't know what you are talking about.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:33 am

Desert Fox wrote:
buster wrote:the great thing about law school is it honestly does not matter. one will probably not give you an advantage over another. just choose something you'll enjoy.
You don't know what you are talking about.
+1

Get an engineering job. Otherwise, wtf did you get the Masters for?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:05 am

paratactical wrote:Get an engineering job. Otherwise, wtf did you get the Masters for?
TITCR.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:13 am

Engineering jobs are pretty legit. Think twice about law, and only go if you can go to great school, or a good school for free. Shit law pays worse than engineering, with worse hours, and worse quality of life.

You might want to check out http://www.intelproplaw.com/ if you want patent law. They can answer questions about work experience, and how patent firms will treat your degree.

Do you have a bachelors in EE?

If you don't want patent law, stay the fuck out of law.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:24 am

Last edited by dood on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:29 am

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:41 am

dood wrote:consulting is also credited. accenture, deloitte, and if u'r baller enough, bain, mckinsey. you get a lot of money and bonus things such as starwood points and Hertz #1 Gold Club, etc. and good to talk about during interview b/c consulting requires creativity and ability to work in teams.
My career services office keeps sending us e-mails encouraging us to apply to consulting firms, but I still don't understand what the fuck consultants do or what qualification a person needs to do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:55 am

johnnyutah wrote:My career services office keeps sending us e-mails encouraging us to apply to consulting firms, but I still don't understand what the fuck consultants do or what qualification a person needs to do it.
Consulting: Other people pay you large amounts of money to tell them what to do, and if you're wrong, they can't fire you since you were only an at-will consultant in the first place.

Qualifications: Getting hired as a consultant.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:47 pm

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:54 pm

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:16 pm

dood wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
dood wrote:consulting is also credited. accenture, deloitte, and if u'r baller enough, bain, mckinsey. you get a lot of money and bonus things such as starwood points and Hertz #1 Gold Club, etc. and good to talk about during interview b/c consulting requires creativity and ability to work in teams.
My career services office keeps sending us e-mails encouraging us to apply to consulting firms, but I still don't understand what the fuck consultants do or what qualification a person needs to do it.
depends. IT consulting will deal with implementing high level management shit like SAP across the entire company. strategy consulting might be how to launch a new product, such as that cheap starbucks coffee (my friend worked on that actually). management consulting is similar, but with strategy of entire company - should we merge, should we hostile takeover our competitor, should we buy back some stock to make investors happier, etc.

you mine and organize data, whether empirical, such as sales, or how many people did X and Y over Z period of time, depending on project, add "soft factors", make spreadsheets with 2X2 matrices, and powerpoints. POWERPOINTS up the wazzooo.

the whole joke is that you dont really make any discernible product so people dont understand exactly why you're being paid... but IMO, consultants bring an outside perspective that is often required for a company to make leaps or to go in an uncharted territory.

HTH brah.
So, shit to do with business?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jrwhitedog

New

Post by jrwhitedog » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Engineering jobs are pretty legit. Think twice about law, and only go if you can go to great school, or a good school for free. Shit law pays worse than engineering, with worse hours, and worse quality of life.

You might want to check out http://www.intelproplaw.com/ if you want patent law. They can answer questions about work experience, and how patent firms will treat your degree.

Do you have a bachelors in EE?

If you don't want patent law, stay the fuck out of law.
Yeah, major in telecommunication,both undergrad and grad.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:29 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
dood wrote:
johnnyutah wrote: My career services office keeps sending us e-mails encouraging us to apply to consulting firms, but I still don't understand what the fuck consultants do or what qualification a person needs to do it.
depends. IT consulting will deal with implementing high level management shit like SAP across the entire company. strategy consulting might be how to launch a new product, such as that cheap starbucks coffee (my friend worked on that actually). management consulting is similar, but with strategy of entire company - should we merge, should we hostile takeover our competitor, should we buy back some stock to make investors happier, etc.

you mine and organize data, whether empirical, such as sales, or how many people did X and Y over Z period of time, depending on project, add "soft factors", make spreadsheets with 2X2 matrices, and powerpoints. POWERPOINTS up the wazzooo.

the whole joke is that you dont really make any discernible product so people dont understand exactly why you're being paid... but IMO, consultants bring an outside perspective that is often required for a company to make leaps or to go in an uncharted territory.

HTH brah.
So, shit to do with business?
This also depends. I talked to a guy at accenture who did supply chain consulting and it seemed pretty technical. Deloitte and booz allen hire federal consultants with clearances. Some do auditing/tax consideration. A lot of it is business management. Some hire legal consultants. Some hire HR consultants. It can really be a lot of things. And all off the firms i've seen recruiting at my school do almost all their hiring through on campus recruiting at good schools and have GPA cutoffs of 3.5 and tough interviews.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:31 pm

The most uncomfortable interview I ever went on was for a consulting company. They called me after finding my resume. But after 5 minutes of interview they asked my GPA, clearly didn't like it. And I had to sit through like 2 more hours of interviewing.

I wish they just shook my hand right then and there and say, 2.8 is too low son.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:33 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:This also depends. I talked to a guy at accenture who did supply chain consulting and it seemed pretty technical. Deloitte and booz allen hire federal consultants with clearances. Some do auditing/tax consideration. A lot of it is business management. Some hire legal consultants. Some hire HR consultants. It can really be a lot of things. And all off the firms i've seen recruiting at my school do almost all their hiring through on campus recruiting at good schools and have GPA cutoffs of 3.5 and tough interviews.
Hmm. Considering I have only the remostest idea of how to do 1/6 of those jobs (and don't even know what 2/6 are), I think I will refrain from applying.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The most uncomfortable interview I ever went on was for a consulting company. They called me after finding my resume. But after 5 minutes of interview they asked my GPA, clearly didn't like it. And I had to sit through like 2 more hours of interviewing.

I wish they just shook my hand right then and there and say, 2.8 is too low son.
This is surprising. I think i'll apply to all the major consulting companies next year and try to do that a year or two while I decide on law school. The guy at accenture told me I needed more extra curriculars. I was like WTF? I work 32 hours a week and am taking 16 credits. My normal day has me gone from 8-6 and then I make time for working out and homework. I wasn't sure what he expected from me. But then again supply chain managment is not something I have any interest in doing.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:39 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The most uncomfortable interview I ever went on was for a consulting company. They called me after finding my resume. But after 5 minutes of interview they asked my GPA, clearly didn't like it. And I had to sit through like 2 more hours of interviewing.

This is surprising. I think i'll apply to all the major consulting companies next year and try to do that a year or two while I decide on law school. The guy at accenture told me I needed more extra curriculars. I was like WTF? I work 32 hours a week and am taking 16 credits. My normal day has me gone from 8-6 and then I make time for working out and homework. I wasn't sure what he expected from me. But then again supply chain managment is not something I have any interest in doing.
Mine was for engineering consulting which is a bit different I suppose.

Though I should have been just happy to get an interview. My Ungrad name and major got me interviews my GPA would never have.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Though I should have been just happy to get an interview. My Ungrad name and major got me interviews my GPA would never have.
O, were you an MIT/Cal Tech person? That makes sense then.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:43 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

O, were you an MIT/Cal Tech person? That makes sense then.
No Illinois. Doesn't sound prestigious but in engineering it's damn good, esp in the Midwest.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vstraight

New

Post by vstraight » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:49 pm

No Illinois. Doesn't sound prestigious but in engineering it's damn good, esp in the Midwest.
Aka nowhere.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:06 pm

vstraight wrote:
Aka nowhere.
At least it's not the South.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
vstraight wrote:
Aka nowhere.
At least it's not the South.
Or anwhere west that isn't on a coast.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:No Illinois. Doesn't sound prestigious but in engineering it's damn good, esp in the Midwest.
Yeah, Illinois engineering is top notch, think it's above Caltech in the blanket rankings nowadays. Anyhow, it has nothing to do with the Midwest - engineering expertise doesn't tend to have anything to do with geography. :roll:

I'd have thought you'd have a great shot at getting a job, consulting or otherwise. If you want to do IP law, telecommunications sounds like fantastic experience. All this fancy new gear needs to be patented after all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”