law school friendships

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
waitlisted1

law school friendships

Postby waitlisted1 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:58 am

what do you seasoned law schoolers think of law school friendships?

Also, do you think transferring after 1L to a higher ranked school where you don't know anyone will screw you up socially?

PDaddy

Re: law school friendships

Postby PDaddy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:27 am

If you go to a birthday party, is there a chance that you might not like the cake?

Drummingreg

Postby Drummingreg » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:30 am

PDaddy wrote:If you go to a birthday party, is there a chance that you might not like the cake?

Win!

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:15 am

PDaddy wrote:If you go to a birthday party, is there a chance that you might not like the cake?

NO ONE DISLIKES CAKE.

NO ONE

elliej

Postby elliej » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:45 pm

They are important. I think people fail to emphasize how important they can be, both in law school (for support) and after (for business). I'm sure it's hard to make friends without the section structure as a transfer, but some lucky transfers make LR and/or other journals that help out.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:48 pm

How are you able to function in social situations with other human beings if you need to even ask this question?

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:50 pm

bk1 wrote:How are you able to function in social situations with other human beings if you need to even ask this question?

this...

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:58 pm

waitlisted1 wrote:what do you seasoned law schoolers think of law school friendships?

Also, do you think transferring after 1L to a higher ranked school where you don't know anyone will screw you up socially?

Questions like this make me wonder who the f$!@ some of you are and what exactly is wrong with you. I don't know man...kind of think friends are important. Maybe it's just me. And I don't really think to how my friends will benefit my career. Maybe I'm just not enough of a striver

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:24 pm

pocket herc wrote:Questions like this make me wonder who the f$!@ some of you are and what exactly is wrong with you

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:30 pm

Yes i think it is harder. However if your new school has a large transfer class then basically the "transfer class" acts like a section.

A lot of friendships are made in your 1L year. I think of it like band of brothers and storming the normandy beach. Some people dont make it and die.. ie fail out. Others remain pvts the whole time. (bad grades no job) A select few raise in the ranks and become officers.(biglaw or good clerkship) Like a band of soldiers who all stormed normandy together, no matter what your class rank is, you share a special bond with other students in your 1L section.

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:41 pm

I'm a commuter and while I am friendly to my classmates during class time, I really havent formed any "friendships" and dont think I will either. I can understand why people dorming would feel the need to build friendships, since all of their friends are likely not nearby. I feel like its opposite for me: school people are not nearby, and my pre-law school friends are. not that ive had time for any of them. which brings me to my next point, I see law school as a "get in there and get the job done" kind of deal..I kind of prefer doing class-->library instead of hanging out. I'm not really there to make friends, Im there to do well and get a job...I dont mind being social, I just feel like its a different playing field for commuters because youre not around when the social activities are taking place

cake

Postby cake » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:40 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

NO ONE DISLIKES CAKE.

NO ONE

Awwww, thanks!

Return to “Law School FAQ”