Do law school use blind grading?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sfdreaming09

Do law school use blind grading?

Postby sfdreaming09 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:50 pm

In other words, do the exams that you turn in not include your name? What's used in its place? Do they give you some sort of ID# that only you know?

I'm attending HLS btw fwiw.

Knock

Re: Do law school use blind grading?

Postby Knock » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:52 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:In other words, do the exams that you turn in not include your name? What's used in its place? Do they give you some sort of ID# that only you know?

Yes.

Pip

Postby Pip » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:02 pm

Even with blind grading the profs will know who wrote some exams simply by what is said and how it is said... the real question is why are you worried about it.

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:17 am

Plus, most profs reserve the right to adjust grades on the basis of class participation, which means many of them match things up before they turn in grades.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:28 pm

Pip wrote:Even with blind grading the profs will know who wrote some exams simply by what is said and how it is said... the real question is why are you worried about it.

Doubtful, at least for most 1L classes. Profs aren't going to be able to figure who wrote what essay when they are grading 100+ essays about the exact same topic. They have never seen anyone's writing before the exam.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:30 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:In other words, do the exams that you turn in not include your name? What's used in its place? Do they give you some sort of ID# that only you know?

I'm also at HLS, and looking at the way they do the grading, it's almost impossible for the professors to find out which student wrote an exam until after all the grades have been finally submitted.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:31 pm

nealric wrote:
Pip wrote:Even with blind grading the profs will know who wrote some exams simply by what is said and how it is said... the real question is why are you worried about it.

Doubtful, at least for most 1L classes. Profs aren't going to be able to figure who wrote what essay when they are grading 100+ essays about the exact same topic. They have never seen anyone's writing before the exam.

+1. No way the profs would recognize the writing.

Pip

Postby Pip » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:06 pm

nealric wrote:

probably depends on the school and class then... I only had 1 truly large 1st year class of about 100, word was he didn't even grade exams in that one just passed everyone... but in the small classes of less than 20 students I have no doubt that the professor could easily have known which was which.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:18 pm

Pip wrote:
nealric wrote:

probably depends on the school and class then... I only had 1 truly large 1st year class of about 100, word was he didn't even grade exams in that one just passed everyone... but in the small classes of less than 20 students I have no doubt that the professor could easily have known which was which.

How could a prof just pass everyone? Do you go to a law school without a grading system?

Pip

Postby Pip » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Pip wrote:
nealric wrote:

How could a prof just pass everyone? Do you go to a law school without a grading system?

Was at Yale and you were either credit or fail... so for the required first year courses there really were no grades and if you think about it no reason for a professor to really bother reading exams. If you were a fluke that should have never gotten in I'm sure they would have found you out in your small group, and if you couldn't pass that class you would likely be shown the door so why what incentive would a professor have to actually read the mass ramblings of 100 over achievers when you were only getting a credit or fail?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:30 pm

Okay, well you went to Yale (which shocks me given how bad some of your posts are, but I'll take you at your word for the time being). Yale is incredibly unique. For the overwhelming majority of law students, your advice is useless. It really has no bearing on OP's questions.

OP, it is almost certain that your school uses blind grading, and it is almost certain that your prof will have no way of knowing who you are based on your writing.

Pip

Postby Pip » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:28 pm

romothesavior wrote:Okay, well you went to Yale (which shocks me given how bad some of your posts are, but I'll take you at your word for the time being). Yale is incredibly unique. For the overwhelming majority of law students, your advice is useless. It really has no bearing on OP's questions.

OP, it is almost certain that your school uses blind grading, and it is almost certain that your prof will have no way of knowing who you are based on your writing.

Though I could also say that your inability to comprehend the quality of my posts is likely the reason you weren't admitted to Yale... I'll just assume you were only skimming them for the time being.

Unless the OP states what school he/she is going to there is no way anyone could know whether the classes would be so small or conducted in a way that professors could know who wrote an exam... Not all law schools are huge there are some that are very small and not all law schools have grades based solely on one exam, some require more writing than the exams.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:35 pm

Even at a small law school with small classes, and even in a class where you have a midterm and a final, it is incredibly unlikely (I'd say almost impossible) that a professor would recognize your style of writing among the dozens of papers they grade based on seeing your writing only once or twice before. Even in a legal writing course, a prof is reading dozens of memos/briefs about the same exact thing that are written in the same basic format. There is no way they would know with certainty who you are (unless you just have an unbelievably terrible/unique writing style).

Maybe it is different at Yale, but I can promise you this is the case at nearly all other law schools.

bigben

Postby bigben » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:53 pm

Pip wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Okay, well you went to Yale (which shocks me given how bad some of your posts are, but I'll take you at your word for the time being). Yale is incredibly unique. For the overwhelming majority of law students, your advice is useless. It really has no bearing on OP's questions.

Though I could also say that your inability to comprehend the quality of my posts is likely the reason you weren't admitted to Yale... I'll just assume you were only skimming them for the time being.

Unless the OP states what school he/she is going to there is no way anyone could know whether the classes would be so small or conducted in a way that professors could know who wrote an exam... Not all law schools are huge there are some that are very small and not all law schools have grades based solely on one exam, some require more writing than the exams.

lol. flame or moron?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:24 pm

bigben wrote:
Pip wrote:

lol. flame or moron?

A question that has been pestering TLS for months.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:28 pm

bk1 wrote:
bigben wrote:
Pip wrote:

lol. flame or moron?

A question that has been pestering TLS for months. eternity

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:31 pm

LurkerNoMore wrote:Plus, most profs reserve the right to adjust grades on the basis of class participation, which means many of them match things up before they turn in grades.

Don't Profs submit the names and adjustments of grades to the individuals in charge of administering the grades adjust those exam grades accordingly?

Edit: LOL @Pip.

sfdreaming09

Postby sfdreaming09 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:57 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
LurkerNoMore wrote:Plus, most profs reserve the right to adjust grades on the basis of class participation, which means many of them match things up before they turn in grades.

Don't Profs submit the names and adjustments of grades to the individuals in charge of administering the grades adjust those exam grades accordingly?

I highly doubt that. Out of a class of, say, 80 students, do you really think they're going to submit 10-15 names of students whose grades they want bumped 1/3 (or whatever increment) a letter or an entire notch from P to H (for schools that use H/P grading)? Seems doubtful.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:10 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

I highly doubt that. Out of a class of, say, 80 students, do you really think they're going to submit 10-15 names of students whose grades they want bumped 1/3 (or whatever increment) a letter or an entire notch from P to H (for schools that use H/P grading)? Seems doubtful.

I'm pretty sure professors just use that as a means to make you do the worthless reading.

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:12 pm

Did someone seriously bump this after 2 months?

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:25 pm

If by blind grading you mean they literally don't read your paper before using a random number generator to give you a grade, then yes, this is the preferred method.

Return to “Law School FAQ”