Pursuing a PHD after having earned an advanced degree

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
abbazabba92

Pursuing a PHD after having earned an advanced degree

Postby abbazabba92 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:49 am

If someone already has an advanced degree (JD, MBA etc.)--but let's say JD for argument's sake--could they still apply for an Dual Degree program (JD/PHD) and have the credits transfer so that they can finish their PHD in a shorter period of time?

If you did not pursue the JD/PHD the first time around, and later wished to pursue it, it would take you nine to ten years (three years JD + five to six PHD) instead of five or six. What are some ways to expedite the PHD earning process if you already have earned an advanced degree?

jayn3

Re: Pursuing a PHD after having earned an advanced degree

Postby jayn3 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:12 am

why are you making duplicate threads at midnight on a saturday? anyone qualified to answer (e.g., pursuing a phd) are all probably very drunk like now. like me, if i were a phd candidate.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:48 am

FTR joint degrees almost always are simply a waste of money. either you want to be a lawyer or you don't. if you do all you need is lawl school, if you don't save the 150k.

frost

Postby frost » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:51 pm

I'm not sure if you can expedite from JD to PhD. I know for a Masters degree in at least some fields, you can transfer your credits and even thesis into a PhD program in the same field, so you can start as a second or third year in the PhD program.

masochist

Postby masochist » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:51 am

It isn't really possible to expedite a Ph.D. outside of a dual degree program in most fields. The primary reason a Ph.D. takes 5 to 6 years is that a doctoral thesis typically takes at least two years to complete, and you have to acquire quite a bit of basic information about the field and pass comps before you can even propose a topic.

Return to “Law School FAQ”