Credits received from a foreign university

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
elcamino

Credits received from a foreign university

Postby elcamino » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:36 am

I'm planning to study abroad in Korea for a semester at Korea University as a visiting student, not exchange. If I do this and receive grades, will they be included in the LSAD gpa?

P.S. I'm doing this before I receive my diploma from my home institution.

kazu

Re: Credits received from a foreign university

Postby kazu » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:38 am

Will your grades appear on your home university's transcripts? If this is a visiting student thing, does this mean it isn't sponsored by your home university?

elcamino

Postby elcamino » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:50 am

Nope, it isn't sponsored by my home university so grades won't appear on home institution transcript. But I thought law schools take into account every single grade received before your college diploma.

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:00 am

From LSAC website:

Do not have a transcript sent from an international institution if your bachelor's degree is from a US, US territory, or Canadian school, AND:

-the total amount of work you completed at all international institutions combined is equal to or less than the equivalent of one year of undergraduate study in the United States, its territories, or Canada, OR

-your work was completed through an overseas study program that was clearly sponsored by a US, US territory, or Canadian school.

I don't know what the case is though if it's not sponsored by your school. You should probably call LSAC and ask...
Edit: I am an idiot. It says "or" in between, not "and". im_blue is correct.
Last edited by kazu on Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:01 am

Since you only have one semester of classes in Korea (less than one year), you don't have to send in that transcript.

thesybarite

Postby thesybarite » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:06 am

Even if it was longer, it's highly unlikely that LSAC would convert your grades into a US gpa. Most of us with foreign grades are simply given a rank that ranges from superior to... actually I'm not sure what. Mine was superior, but the way it was placed on the page made me wonder if it was more to do with the rank of the university than my specific work. There was a letter grade beneath it as well - that was it.

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:12 am

thesybarite is correct, they wouldn't include it anyhow in your academic summary report. However, since it's less than a year you don't have to send in the transcript at all. So, feel free to slack off and party in Korea :P

Return to “Law School FAQ”