How marketable is being multilingual?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Noval

Re: How marketable is being multilingual?

Postby Noval » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:23 pm

nphsbuckeye wrote:
Noval wrote:How would a candidate who has a Business degree ( Finance & Advanced Mathematics ) and LL.B.(McGill) + MBA(McGill) speaking
English, French, Arabic and Spanish fluently do in the U.S. market ? I am in the process of learning Chinese and German.

I have Canadian BigLaw exeperience ( McCarthy & Tetrault ) and i'm looking to work in U.S. ( Either NYC or Boston.)

Do i have a good shot or do i need to do some networking before having a decent chance ?
I want either U.S. BigLaw or Inhouse Counsel in a decent sized company.

I specialized in Corporate Law but also worked with Business Litigation and Entertainment Law.

My final GPAs were:

3.95 for Business.
3.93 for Law.
4.0 for my MBA.

+ i got several recommendation letters from Deans, Firm partners and influential Law Teachers.

I thought this was definitely a flame at first but am no longer sure.

Sorry if it looked like this, i have no knowledge of the U.S. Market, that's why my post looked really troll-like.
Oh and that retard was just pissed that i said i was from McGill, but it's common sense to say where you're from when you're looking for a Law position, another thing that proves that this guy is just a 16 years old prick who wants attention over the internet.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:08 pm

Noval wrote:
nphsbuckeye wrote:
Noval wrote:How would a candidate who has a Business degree ( Finance & Advanced Mathematics ) and LL.B.(McGill) + MBA(McGill) speaking
English, French, Arabic and Spanish fluently do in the U.S. market ? I am in the process of learning Chinese and German.

I have Canadian BigLaw exeperience ( McCarthy & Tetrault ) and i'm looking to work in U.S. ( Either NYC or Boston.)

Do i have a good shot or do i need to do some networking before having a decent chance ?

I specialized in Corporate Law but also worked with Business Litigation and Entertainment Law.

My final GPAs were:

3.95 for Business.
3.93 for Law.
4.0 for my MBA.

+ i got several recommendation letters from Deans, Firm partners and influential Law Teachers.

Sorry if it looked like this, i have no knowledge of the U.S. Market, that's why my post looked really troll-like.
Oh and that retard was just pissed that i said i was from McGill, but it's common sense to say where you're from when you're looking for a Law position, another thing that proves that this guy is just a 16 years old prick who wants attention over the internet.

Right. I am the attention whore, not the one who puts his GPAs to two decimal points in someone else's thread.

We are asking about multilingual as a factor in jobs---you see multilingual and post your entire resume.

nphsbuckeye

Postby nphsbuckeye » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:25 pm

Noval wrote:Sorry if it looked like this, i have no knowledge of the U.S. Market, that's why my post looked really troll-like.

It looked outlandish to the point that I thought you had to be joking. I mean, it sure looks like you're academically qualified, but I'm not HR in a law firm.

Noval

Postby Noval » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:30 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:
Noval wrote:
nphsbuckeye wrote:

My final GPAs were:

3.95 for Business.
3.93 for Law.
4.0 for my MBA.

Right. I am the attention whore, not the one who puts his GPAs to two decimal points in someone else's thread.

We are asking about multilingual as a factor in jobs---you see multilingual and post your entire resume.

I posted it because other users started to post similar questions, so i hoped someone could help me since i am new to this site, but no, some 16 years old wanker comes and starts insulting me for posting a GPA online, nice lack of maturity sir.
If you wanted to sound credible then it's a FAILURE my friend, now go cry to your mother because a McGill show off just made you look like an idiot once again.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:48 pm

Right, calling me 16 is mature. And absolutely noone posted a question at all like you. Thanks for playing.

Noval

Postby Noval » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:31 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:Right, calling me 16 is mature. And absolutely noone posted a question at all like you. Thanks for playing.

Yes it's mature, because you are 16, don't even try to hide it.
I just think you're mad.

Thanks for playing.

dcman06

Postby dcman06 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:08 pm

Being multilingual is great in ANY profession, not just law.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:00 pm

My God Noval you are biggest douche on Top-Law-Schools.com, and you just got here. You're the one asking people if they went to OK law and pushing around McGill in every other sentence. And I take back what I said earlier about you being qualified. Anyone would have to be a dumbass to hire such a prick.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:17 pm

Noval wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:Right, calling me 16 is mature. And absolutely noone posted a question at all like you. Thanks for playing.

Yes it's mature, because you are 16, don't even try to hide it.
I just think you're mad.

Thanks for playing.

Noval

Postby Noval » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Total Litigator wrote:My God Noval you are biggest douche on Top-Law-Schools.com, and you just got here. You're the one asking people if they went to OK law and pushing around McGill in every other sentence. And I take back what I said earlier about you being qualified. Anyone would have to be a dumbass to hire such a prick.

Let me summarize it:

"I went to a T-2 School and i'm mad everytime i see someone saying he's coming from a Top-School"

How about you go see a Psychotherapist to treat your insecurity ?

If you don't want to listen to my comments, don't act dumber and go read something else, like how to get a job knowing you're such an insecure prick who loves insulting people for almost nothing.

Let me remind you that it's Top-Law-Schools.com, which means, if you're not happy when someone says he comes from a Top Law School, well, it's too bad for you, life's a bitch, suck on it.

PS:Yes, people are dumbasses for wanting me in their firm, that's what clients pay so much for.
Last edited by Noval on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:06 am

*Sigh* get off your high horse. McGill is good but its not great. You're obviously just pissed that the University of Toronto rejected you.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:32 am

Total Litigator wrote:And I take back what I said earlier about you being qualified. Anyone would have to be a dumbass to hire such a prick.

Yeah, this is the big thing really. I was talking with a friend of mine who is on the hiring committee at a V10 in New York, and she was commenting on the whole OCI process. The thing about OCI is that basically everyone has the requisite numbers - or maybe it's clearer to say, the numbers are what they are, your interview isn't changing them. Maybe they're looking for some special experience on a resume, perhaps. She said the essential exchange, though, goes something like this:

Rest of hiring committeee: "How did your visit to XYZ school go?"

My friend (the interviewer): "There were maybe five I could stand to be in the same room with for more than half an hour."

The ability of this Noval guy to show up and effortlessly alienate people in such an efficient manner would have far more effect on his saleability in the US market than any particular language skills. Maybe I should have a line on my resume "Civilized human interaction - fluent."

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:35 am

r6_philly wrote:
goingeast wrote:I have simply put "advanced/intermediate/basic proficiency" for each respective language. Most academic CVs that I have looked at indicate language expertise/ability in this way, including one of my favorites professors from UG, who listed his language skills simply as "advanced proficiency" on his CV, even though he was publishing his own translations of French, Spanish and Italian literature.

Then again, putting "near-native speaker" down sounds pretty badass, and probably helps anyone's chances of scoring with the hottie interviewer.

How do you put "native speaker" on your resume without giving people the impression that your English is not at native level? My English is indeed better than Chinese at this point (if you can believe that).

By simply not mentioning it at all. If you're applying to an American firm, I'd think English proficiency is sort of assumed. But proficiency in Mandarin or whatever you speak would be definitely worth mentioning.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:26 am

If I was going to pick up another language, which one would give me the biggest boost in the long run? I was thinking Japanese (probably won't be hard to pick up, I hear it's very linguistically similar to Korean) or Chinese (grammatically similar to English), but people here might think differently.

I'm already fluent in Korean and English (duh), and am moderately proficient in French.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:12 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:If I was going to pick up another language, which one would give me the biggest boost in the long run? I was thinking Japanese (probably won't be hard to pick up, I hear it's very linguistically similar to Korean) or Chinese (grammatically similar to English), but people here might think differently.

I'm already fluent in Korean and English (duh), and am moderately proficient in French.

I am having trouble with that one. I have to formulate my thoughts in Chinese or English independently. If I think in one and try to express in the other, it never works out right.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:13 pm

ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
goingeast wrote:I have simply put "advanced/intermediate/basic proficiency" for each respective language. Most academic CVs that I have looked at indicate language expertise/ability in this way, including one of my favorites professors from UG, who listed his language skills simply as "advanced proficiency" on his CV, even though he was publishing his own translations of French, Spanish and Italian literature.

Then again, putting "near-native speaker" down sounds pretty badass, and probably helps anyone's chances of scoring with the hottie interviewer.

How do you put "native speaker" on your resume without giving people the impression that your English is not at native level? My English is indeed better than Chinese at this point (if you can believe that).

By simply not mentioning it at all. If you're applying to an American firm, I'd think English proficiency is sort of assumed. But proficiency in Mandarin or whatever you speak would be definitely worth mentioning.

Thanks, that's what I am doing now, but now I realize I need to state that I know how to read/write as well. I have a Chinese name, so maybe that will give people a hint.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:34 pm

r6_philly wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:If I was going to pick up another language, which one would give me the biggest boost in the long run? I was thinking Japanese (probably won't be hard to pick up, I hear it's very linguistically similar to Korean) or Chinese (grammatically similar to English), but people here might think differently.

I am having trouble with that one. I have to formulate my thoughts in Chinese or English independently. If I think in one and try to express in the other, it never works out right.

I'm just going off what I've heard from language experts (who've also said Koreans and Japanese people are the worst in the world at English). Then again, they could be wrong. Btw Chinese pronounciations sound impossible, and I took French.

I think it's a common problem with non-natural multilinguals (i.e. you're not multilingual because your parents each speak 3 different languages and you grew up learning 6). If I think in English and express in Korean, or even in French, it doesn't come out right.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Thanks, that's what I am doing now, but now I realize I need to state that I know how to read/write as well. I have a Chinese name, so maybe that will give people a hint.

Ok this isn't really complicated, just put fluent in Chinese (English I guess is implied, but if you're applying for jobs overseas you should probably put that too).

Noval

Postby Noval » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Total Litigator wrote:*Sigh* get off your high horse. McGill is good but its not great. You're obviously just pissed that the University of Toronto rejected you.

Did i ever said McGill was the greatest ? No, go take some reading classes.

I actually got an offer from UofT and Osgoode Hall as well, but i choosed McGill since i live in Montreal.

Your flawed logic with not lead you anywhere in Litigation, now get the hell out of TLS and stop acting all tough on the Internet when you can't be fucked to give one valuable argument.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:56 pm

My final GPAs were:

3.95 for Business.
3.93 for Law.
4.0 for my MBA.

--ImageRemoved--

Seriously. You think with all that you'd have developed "self esteem" and wouldn't need an online forum to re-inflate your self worth.

I'm betting small penis.

Noval

Postby Noval » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:03 pm

James Bond wrote:

My final GPAs were:

3.95 for Business.
3.93 for Law.
4.0 for my MBA.

--ImageRemoved--

Seriously. You think with all that you'd have developed "self esteem" and wouldn't need an online forum to re-inflate your self worth.

I'm betting small penis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:07 pm

Noval wrote:
James Bond wrote:

My final GPAs were:

3.95 for Business.
3.93 for Law.
4.0 for my MBA.

--ImageRemoved--

I'm betting small penis.

You also fail at responses.

Noval

Postby Noval » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:08 pm

James Bond wrote:
Noval wrote:
James Bond wrote:

My final GPAs were:

3.95 for Business.
3.93 for Law.
4.0 for my MBA.

--ImageRemoved--

I'm betting small penis.

You also fail at responses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ-ZCW-s_TM

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:08 pm

Can we return on subject I'm interested in this too.

I sorta think that having an accent will be detrimental when it comes to finding a job, so in this way if english is not native being multilingual will be detrimental, unless your job explicitly deals with using those languages.

Most firms probably just deal with american clients and companies and even if there is some forein party all the vital aspects of communication are probably taken care of by translators or simply who speak english. That's actually a question. Is that about right? I find it hard to find great ways of getting languages to be really useful and add value.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:09 pm

Noval wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ-ZCW-s_TM

ease up on the penis envy, big guy. motion of the ocean's important too, after all

Return to “Law School FAQ”