How marketable is being multilingual?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jeff

New

How marketable is being multilingual?

Postby jeff » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:26 pm

I was recently wondering how much of a resume enhancer having fluency in another language would be?

More specifically, I speak Portuguese and was curious about if that would be a boost in a biglaw setting dealing with transnational corporate issues...

I'd also be interested to hear if anyone thinks foreign language ability might be a boost in any other areas of law.

deadhipsters

Bronze

Re: How marketable is being multilingual?

Postby deadhipsters » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:33 pm

Portuguese, probably not. Japanese or Chinese would probably carry some value.

General Tso

Gold

Postby General Tso » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:43 pm

deadhipsters wrote:Portuguese, probably not. Japanese or Chinese would probably carry some value.

and spanish

El_Gallo

Bronze

Postby El_Gallo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:44 pm

ctr

jeff

New

Postby jeff » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:12 pm

Interesting, no one see any marketability for being able to work with Brazilian clients?

paratactical

Platinum

Postby paratactical » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:12 pm

jeff wrote:Interesting, no one see any marketability for being able to work with Brazilian clients?

You could do immigration law.

ncct07

New

Postby ncct07 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:27 pm

Brazil's economy is booming; in the right environment fluency in Portuguese would be extremely helpful.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Unlikely to really do much at the entry level hiring level. It could be useful down the line.

ziggie

Bronze

Postby ziggie » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:35 pm

BRIC nations = booming economy

I speak portuguese too and I hope it comes in handy down the line!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:40 pm

Lots of larger firms are trying to expand in to Brazil. However, a lot of it is being done through mergers and affiliations, not organic growth (see Mayer Brown as an example).

jitsrenzo

Bronze

Postby jitsrenzo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Mandarin and Portuguese are TOPS for transactional work.

solidsnake

Silver

Postby solidsnake » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:42 pm

Cleary has a big Latin American Investment group. Target firms that have similar practices. And, yes, fluency -- especially if you worked in a professional setting utilizing the language, ideally abroad -- is extremely marketable. I say this from personal experience.

frost

Bronze

Postby frost » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:32 pm

nealric wrote:Unlikely to really do much at the entry level hiring level. It could be useful down the line.

This is the feedback I get during interviews. Seems like language will be a way to distinguish you from another candidate if there just so happens to be a need for that language in the firm, but generally won't pull any sway otherwise for entry level positions.

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Postby ajmanyjah » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:33 am

Any use for French/German?

vegenator

Bronze

Postby vegenator » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:59 pm

Que legal! :mrgreen: (Punn intended)
Happy to see other portuguese speakers here. I'm hoping Brazil's booming economy will make me marketable down the line, as I'm currently just a lolely old 0L... :wink:

Bosque

Gold

Postby Bosque » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:55 pm

Actual anecdote here!

One of my friends here at Duke is a native Brazilian and (obviously) speaks Portuguese fluently. Firms have been practically salivating over her, and she is really soft spoken. I think Portuguese is a much bigger selling point than some of the people in this thread think.

Ersatz Haderach

Bronze

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:51 pm

Portuguese is definitely marketable. I worked briefly in the foreign office of a multinational company, and they were always bringing in management from other locations when there was a language issue. Not just a translator, but usually a translator AND an associate/manager fluent in English and the target language. I saw Spanish and Chinese in my time there and had friends from Brazil who were doing some interesting work as well.

strawberryfanta

Bronze

Postby strawberryfanta » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:52 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:Any use for French/German?

tehrocstar

Bronze

Postby tehrocstar » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:50 pm

BRIC Goldman Sachs report...

I'm thinking Portuguese would be useful, but it's dependent on various factors. Such as how companies will choose to expand in Brazil.

txsunshine

Bronze

Postby txsunshine » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:10 pm

Law school representatives at the fair I was at seemed to be very interested in my multilingual status. A few made a special note on my interest card.

Also, it has been my experience as a multilingual legal assistant in a city with a large minority population that my skills are highly valued. I expanded my boss' client base with my communication skills and was rewarded; I believe the same would be true if you were a multilingual attorney, you could bring in more clients to whichever firm you work.

Noval

Bronze

Postby Noval » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:39 pm

How would a candidate who has a Business degree ( Finance & Advanced Mathematics ) and LL.B.(McGill) + MBA(McGill) speaking
English, French, Arabic and Spanish fluently do in the U.S. market ? I am in the process of learning Chinese and German.

I have Canadian BigLaw exeperience ( McCarthy & Tetrault ) and i'm looking to work in U.S. ( Either NYC or Boston.)

Do i have a good shot or do i need to do some networking before having a decent chance ?
I want either U.S. BigLaw or Inhouse Counsel in a decent sized company.

I specialized in Corporate Law but also worked with Business Litigation and Entertainment Law.

My final GPAs were:

3.95 for Business.
3.93 for Law.
4.0 for my MBA.

+ i got several recommendation letters from Deans, Firm partners and influential Law Teachers.
Last edited by Noval on Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Total Litigator

Silver

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:43 pm

Supply and demand - although the demand for American citizens who are fluent english/portugese speakers is probably low, I would guess that the supply is even lower. Thus you are probably very marketable to a niche demand market.

Total Litigator

Silver

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:46 pm

Noval wrote:How would a candidate who has a Business degree ( Finance & Advanced Mathematics ) and LL.B.(McGill) + MBA(McGill) speaking
English, French, Arabic and Spanish fluently do in the U.S. market ? I am in the process of learning Chinese and German.

I have Canadian BigLaw exeperience ( McCarthy & Tetrault ) and i'm looking to work in U.S. ( Either NYC or Boston.)

Do i have a good shot or do i need to do some networking before having a decent chance ?

My final GPAs were:

3.95 for Business.
3.93 for Law.
4.0 for my MBA.

+ i got several recommendation letters from Deans, Firm partners and influential Law Teachers.

You have 0 marketability.

Noval

Bronze

Postby Noval » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Total Litigator wrote:
Noval wrote:How would a candidate who has a Business degree ( Finance & Advanced Mathematics ) and LL.B.(McGill) + MBA(McGill) speaking

My final GPAs were:

3.95 for Business.
3.93 for Law.
4.0 for my MBA.

You have 0 marketability.

Thanks for reminding me this is a Lawyer forum...Aka Douchebag's Paradise.

Total Litigator

Silver

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:24 pm

Noval wrote:Thanks for reminding me this is a Lawyer forum...Aka Douchebag's Paradise.

A - You're derailing someone else's post
B - You're obviously very qualified and proud of yourself and just looking for acknowledgement.
C - You sounded like a huge douche and I wanted to speak your language.

Return to “Law School FAQ?