How do law schools look at masters degrees...

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
MGH1989

How do law schools look at masters degrees...

Postby MGH1989 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:41 pm

Is it something they really care about in terms of grades along with your bachelors, or is it more of just a soft factor?

Columbia Law

Re: How do law schools look at masters degrees...

Postby Columbia Law » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:43 pm

Weakest of the soft factors. Your master's doesn't mean anything.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:36 pm

Columbia Law wrote:Weakest of the soft factors. Your master's doesn't mean anything.

Not necessarily true.

Its considered to be a soft factor. It can help, but dont expect it to substitute for a weak undergraduate GPA or weak LSAT score.

Good luck!

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:56 pm

if you have a master degree in something related to what you want to practice law in, then it can help. IT wont bump your lsat or undergraduate gpa, but it does help a little bit. Still, it kind of sucks knowing you wasted time and money on a master degree, when you could have spent it on law.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:54 pm

It's not going to do miracles but it will help u in certain situations... Such mitagating a low gpa... However suceeding in a career is said t have the same effects and doesn't cost u money! Do a masters if u are truly intersted in the field not with the expectation that it's going to get u into law school

frost

Postby frost » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:29 pm

I have a masters. It mainly served a grade-booster for me since my undergrad GPA was decent but not stellar. In my view, it let law schools know that I was capable of doing really well academically, I just didn't do so in college. Overall though, I agree that it's just another soft and it's not particularly meaningful in terms of law school acceptances. That said, my masters came up in 9 out of 10 of my interviews this fall and definitely helped me get more callbacks than if I had gone straight from college. Of course this depends on what type of masters you choose - mine was practical and I had lots of interesting experiences to talk about. I imagine it'll be different for a history or literature masters, no offense to any history or lit people.

Return to “Law School FAQ”