Other than Texas schools...where to apply?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
BlueFeathers

Other than Texas schools...where to apply?

Postby BlueFeathers » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:06 pm

For Texas students, what schools other than the 7-8 here do you look at and apply too

I'm not even looking at Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc. I'm looking at reputation, clinics, programs, etc but geographic location is big for me. If I don't want to stay around the school I want a good range to move out.

My list keeps fluctuating on what schools to add. I live in Texas but I'm about 90% sure I don't want to practice here. I don't even want to be here now but in-state tuition is nice but I really don't like Texas. The Texas legal market is doing well and the cost of living is very tame I just can't see living here anymore.

I know UT will most likely give me the most range to move anywhere I want but from what I've seen it's a huge numbers game and my LSAT will probability hit right at their median but not my GPA so while I'm still applying I have no delusions of getting accepted. I don't even like Austin as a city anyway.

So far, other than Texas I'm looking at North Carolina schools.

2ofspades

Re: Other than Texas schools...where to apply?

Postby 2ofspades » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:59 pm

I think you said in another post that you are black? If you're a URM PTing at 167, then you will most likely have a number of wonderful options to choose between. And, regardless, you shouldn't go to school anywhere you know you won't be happy.

What is your LSDAS GPA?

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:12 pm

If you want to practice outside of Texas, there really isn't any point in considering Texas schools besides UT.

The general rule of thumb is to go elite (Top 14-20 or so), or go to a school located where you want to practice.

Lucidity

Postby Lucidity » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:19 pm

nealric wrote:If you want to practice outside of Texas, there really isn't any point in considering Texas schools besides UT.

The general rule of thumb is to go elite (Top 14-20 or so), or go to a school located where you want to practice.

What he said. Texas has many fine schools but other than UT they are all extremely regional and will only provide you with strong employment opportunities inside the state. Instead of looking at the school first, I would suggest looking at WHERE you want to practice, and then researching the schools that will have the best chance of sending you there.

Return to “Law School FAQ”