Jobs

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
BuckyFan12

Jobs

Postby BuckyFan12 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:25 pm

I am considering trying to go to law school in the Chicago area or maybe Iowa or Case. I did fine on the LSAT, and I have a good GPA. I, however, am concerned about the legal job market out there. Can anyone tell me how bad it really is? I dont mind going into debt if there is a good chance that I will be able to pay it off.

romothesavior

Re: Jobs

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:29 pm

BuckyFan12 wrote:I am considering trying to go to law school in the Chicago area or maybe Iowa or Case. I did fine on the LSAT, and I have a good GPA. I, however, am concerned about the legal job market out there. Can anyone tell me how bad it really is? I dont mind going into debt if there is a good chance that I will be able to pay it off.

So many things that could be said in response to this, but you really aren't giving us enough information.

Where would you go to law school in Chicago?
Define "fine" on the LSAT and a "good" GPA?
What are your goals with your legal degree?
How much debt do you think you'd have to incur?

BuckyFan12

Postby BuckyFan12 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BuckyFan12 wrote:I am considering trying to go to law school in the Chicago area or maybe Iowa or Case. I did fine on the LSAT, and I have a good GPA. I, however, am concerned about the legal job market out there. Can anyone tell me how bad it really is? I dont mind going into debt if there is a good chance that I will be able to pay it off.

So many things that could be said in response to this, but you really aren't giving us enough information.

Where would you go to law school in Chicago?
Define "fine" on the LSAT and a "good" GPA?
What are your goals with your legal degree?
How much debt do you think you'd have to incur?

Chicago, Northwestern, Michigan, Case, Iowa, Indiana, and Vandy are what I am looking at.

Fine=168
Good=3.5 from Ivy undergrad degree in Chemistry/Economics
Goals=A place that gives me enough of a salary to pay back my loans
Debt=As much as needed so long as can be paid off

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:36 pm

Your list of schools really isn't very good. You're not getting into Chicago, Northwestern or Michigan with your numbers. Even if you get into Vandy with a 3.5, you aren't looking at much scholly money.

Are you primarily interested in the Chicago market? I think UIUC, WUSTL, and ND would all be decent options since you'd likely get scholly money.

You should be shooting for a T20-30 school with a good sized scholarship. You should also throw an app to Cornell, since it is your best shot at the T14.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:45 pm

If you are up for it, retaking the LSAT and getting into the low 170's will give you a shot at the T14.

BuckyFan12

Postby BuckyFan12 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:48 pm

romothesavior wrote:Your list of schools really isn't very good. You're not getting into Chicago, Northwestern or Michigan with your numbers. Even if you get into Vandy with a 3.5, you aren't looking at much scholly money.

Are you primarily interested in the Chicago market? I think UIUC, WUSTL, and ND would all be decent options since you'd likely get scholly money.

You should be shooting for a T20-30 school with a good sized scholarship. You should also throw an app to Cornell, since it is your best shot at the T14.

Thanks. Yeah, Chicago is where I would like to be for family reasons.

Sorry to ask but my main question is jobs. How is the Chicago legal market looking?

BuckyFan12

Postby BuckyFan12 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:Your list of schools really isn't very good. You're not getting into Chicago, Northwestern or Michigan with your numbers. Even if you get into Vandy with a 3.5, you aren't looking at much scholly money.

Damn chemistry classes killed my Gpa.

Return to “Law School FAQ”