Decision Re: School and Jobs

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
calad6679

Decision Re: School and Jobs

Postby calad6679 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:05 pm

Hey all,

So I'm beginning my 2L year here at a T2 law school, by T2 I mean ranked 20-50 and have caught myself wondering about my future as many of us do when the proverbial sh!t has hit the fan. What sh!t you may ask? Well, I didn't do well my 1L year and finished with a 2.8 when the median in class was a 3.0. So yes, bottom half of the class... Big sh!t, even bigger fan. The good news is I have an excellent scholarship and will graduate with zero debt if I stick around for my remaining 2 years. Another bright spot is that my school is the only one in a large, very insular legal market. I got a great clerkship (somehow) this summer regardless and really enjoyed my work. But I was wondering as to what my chances are of getting a job out of law school? I don't give a damn about biglaw (and even if I did it wouldn't matter now!), so I guess small law/ sh!tlaw is in my future. 40k? 50k? Do these salaries sound about right if I can even land a job? If you were in my position, would you stick it out and try and finish above the median or quit now? Just looking for some dead honest answers, so hit me.

And for anyone wondering how someone could mess up their 1L year so bad... I still have no idea myself.

NoJob

Re: Decision Re: School and Jobs

Postby NoJob » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:28 pm

calad6679 wrote:Hey all,

So I'm beginning my 2L year here at a T2 law school, by T2 I mean ranked 20-50 and have caught myself wondering about my future as many of us do when the proverbial sh!t has hit the fan. What sh!t you may ask? Well, I didn't do well my 1L year and finished with a 2.8 when the median in class was a 3.0. So yes, bottom half of the class... Big sh!t, even bigger fan. The good news is I have an excellent scholarship and will graduate with zero debt if I stick around for my remaining 2 years. Another bright spot is that my school is the only one in a large, very insular legal market. I got a great clerkship (somehow) this summer regardless and really enjoyed my work. But I was wondering as to what my chances are of getting a job out of law school? I don't give a damn about biglaw (and even if I did it wouldn't matter now!), so I guess small law/ sh!tlaw is in my future. 40k? 50k? Do these salaries sound about right if I can even land a job? If you were in my position, would you stick it out and try and finish above the median or quit now? Just looking for some dead honest answers, so hit me.

And for anyone wondering how someone could mess up their 1L year so bad... I still have no idea myself.

If you really can get out with no debt, finish and go do something else. You only lost three years of your life so you are doing a lot better than most graduates. My friends say that scrounging a living doing PI or criminal defense is just not worth it. Some of these guys are paying peanuts.

As for your grades, a lot of law school grading is random. Only thing I can recommend is getting old exams. These law bozos are so lazy that their exams change little from year to year. If ur exam is open book, take the old answer keys. No one answers the exam better than the professor.

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:30 pm

calad6679 wrote:Hey all,

Overload on pass/fail courses too.

And smaller courses which are not subject to the grading curve.

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:35 pm

calad6679 wrote:If you were in my position, would you stick it out and try and finish above the median or quit now? Just looking for some dead honest answers, so hit me.

Do you want to be a lawyer? That's the main question, really.

calad6679

Postby calad6679 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I will actually be able to graduate with zero debt. Probably come out with $10g's left over from my savings and such. On the note of being an attorney, I've found the work to be interesting and compelling. To tell the truth I enjoy it. The only issue is with finding an actual job, as my GPA is so low. If I can't even find a job as an attorney, why bother with sticking around? I haven't heard of many people getting good jobs with a JD and no experience right now. If you have a few years of experience, then you have a shot at some good stuff but the problem is getting that experience in the first place. On that note, I am going to stick it out one more semester and see what happens. I've got lots of interesting classes right now and am enjoying it so far. Hopefully I can at least come out at median. The good news is that my local market is relatively strong (compared LA for example, or some of the distressed markets like Phoenix, NYC or Miami) so I may be ok on the job front. However I am prepared to go small law/ sh!tlaw as I'm sure that's where I'll find a job. But I'm cool with that. So is my salary prediction accurate? 50k at best? I know it's a complex question with many variables but my preconceptions of small law are basically that its a variable 50-60 hours a week for a 50k a year (on average) salary at entry into a big market. Totally jacked, or am I on target? Thanks.

bizjunkie4

Postby bizjunkie4 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:03 pm

calad6679 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I will actually be able to graduate with zero debt. Probably come out with $10g's left over from my savings and such. On the note of being an attorney, I've found the work to be interesting and compelling. To tell the truth I enjoy it. The only issue is with finding an actual job, as my GPA is so low. If I can't even find a job as an attorney, why bother with sticking around? I haven't heard of many people getting good jobs with a JD and no experience right now. If you have a few years of experience, then you have a shot at some good stuff but the problem is getting that experience in the first place. On that note, I am going to stick it out one more semester and see what happens. I've got lots of interesting classes right now and am enjoying it so far. Hopefully I can at least come out at median. The good news is that my local market is relatively strong (compared LA for example, or some of the distressed markets like Phoenix, NYC or Miami) so I may be ok on the job front. However I am prepared to go small law/ sh!tlaw as I'm sure that's where I'll find a job. But I'm cool with that. So is my salary prediction accurate? 50k at best? I know it's a complex question with many variables but my preconceptions of small law are basically that its a variable 50-60 hours a week for a 50k a year (on average) salary at entry into a big market. Totally jacked, or am I on target? Thanks.

I think you are really overlooking employment criteria beyond grades. I am a 2L at the University of Louisville, a lower ranked school but also an insular market with few law schools nearby. There are students who graduated last year and found jobs at small law firms, some starting at 80k or more, despite relatively mediocre grades. There are others who had terrific grades but here hampered in their search because they had the social skills of a block of wood. My opinion: success as a lawyer may be somewhat connected to grades, but it is much more closely tied to your passion, your ability to network, your willingness to be rejected and keep driving forward, and other intangible factors. Lots of great lawyers received crappy grades in law school. Will you be working for a big firm when you graduate? Maybe not. Can you still find something that will be meaningful and pay the bills. Of course. Don't let the naysayers drag you down.

- Alex Davis, Louisville

calad6679

Postby calad6679 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:16 pm

I think I've decided to stick it out at least until the end of this academic year. If I pulled out now, I'd have a pretty good chunk of cash on hand still. However, the only issue is that I have almost no job experience and I don't really think I could get a job right now with my undergrad degree (Philosophy/ History, 3.3 GPA. I know, I know... 166 LSAT and great recs are really why I got in here!). I would rather be in school studying than at home sitting on my a$$, even if I had the money to do so for a few years if need be. Unless I could find a job with the police, a fed agency or something that merely requires a bachelors degree (and who IS really hiring right now anyway?) I think my best bet is to fight it out. If I come out with a 2.8 and a JD I can't use in law then I'll figure something out. Hopefully the economy will at least be a bit better in 2 years. Law school is interesting and challenging, and the law itself is intriguing as well but if you don't get the grades then you really are up sh!t creek w/o a paddle :|

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:18 pm

calad6679 wrote:I think I've decided to stick it out at least until the end of this academic year. If I pulled out now, I'd have a pretty good chunk of cash on hand still. However, the only issue is that I have almost no job experience and I don't really think I could get a job right now with my undergrad degree (Philosophy/ History, 3.3 GPA. I know, I know... 166 LSAT and great recs are really why I got in here!). I would rather be in school studying than at home sitting on my a$$, even if I had the money to do so for a few years if need be. Unless I could find a job with the police, a fed agency or something that merely requires a bachelors degree (and who IS really hiring right now anyway?) I think my best bet is to fight it out. If I come out with a 2.8 and a JD I can't use in law then I'll figure something out. Hopefully the economy will at least be a bit better in 2 years. Law school is interesting and challenging, and the law itself is intriguing as well but if you don't get the grades then you really are up sh!t creek w/o a paddle :|

If you don't have the grades, start working on your exit plan now. Seriously, you don't want to be the next Esquire Never.

Return to “Law School FAQ”